Author Topic: Single carb  (Read 1608 times)

Nathan

Re: Single carb
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2006, 09:31:27 PM »
As an option to improve performance its still cheaper than buying a single carb and having a manifold fabricated.

J Hop

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2006, 09:44:07 PM »
Agreed, but you need to bear in mind your not just buying parts but paying for the development time and knowledge to put the kit together. That said its still quite a lot of money.

Yes but should have recouped development costs by now (its a 20 year old bike).

Time to drop the price IMO.

Steve H

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2006, 09:47:03 PM »
The other option is watching out for a pair of Keihin CR33's on eBay, not tried mine yet but being a slide carb, throttle response should be improved. That said since they are quite a bit bigger than standard carbs the air velocity for any given revs will be lower and therefore may not carburate as well at small throttle openings. That said the DR carb has to be a reasonable size and since its a single carb the air velocity will be even less.
Or am I talking complete b*****ks ?

Steve H

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2006, 09:50:47 PM »
Yes but should have recouped development costs by now (its a 20 year old bike).
Time to drop the price IMO.

True but bearing in mind the total number of SRX's is low (compared to say a Fireblade) they cant have sold many.
But I agree and if it wasnt for the fact that my bike came with one fitted I would probabaly think hard before buying one. Still cheaper than a few hours on the Dyno,

peterj

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2006, 10:02:32 PM »
Development costs - perhaps 10 hrs on the dyno with a good tuner (if they were that consientious), not many parts required, say total development cost in the region of 500 quid. At 85 a time sold direct, that sounds like good business to me.

My objections to dynojet are that unless you are modding exactly as per the development bike, ie same pipe, filters, no internal mods, the stuff they sell you could still be way off for your bike.

I bought a set of drills for about 8 quid, the other 77 would buy a reasonable amount of dyno time. I don't object to lightly modding a needle with a file on a single, so all I'm missing is the CV spring, and I wonder why you need that if you alter the damper hole correctly.

Steve H

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2006, 06:39:23 AM »
Again agreed, but if it were that bad a value people wouldnt buy them and Dynoject would have gone out of business years ago, also if it were that simple we'd all be doing it. I wasnt justifying the cost just indicating that its not as simple as shippng a few jets and springs.

squirrelciv

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2006, 08:04:32 AM »
Again agreed, but if it were that bad a value people wouldnt buy them and Dynoject would have gone out of business years ago, also if it were that simple we'd all be doing it. I wasnt justifying the cost just indicating that its not as simple as shippng a few jets and springs.

Can't agree with you there SteveH. Take a look at Joe averages machines, (be they car or bike) And they will be filled with very expensive goodies sold as performance enhanceing, but not justifying the expense. Sometimes I get the feeling that if you have a crap/ordinary product, but hike the price enough, Mr muggins will snap your hand off.
I also firmly believe Dynojet price product in accordance with their percieved status. Market leader, needs/can get away with inflated prices.
Live long, live well, live happy

Steve H

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2006, 08:59:48 AM »
If its easy money why arent there more companies doing the same thing ?. If there was that much of a markup it would be very easy to undercut them.

yarmouth srx

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2006, 11:40:17 AM »
hi ,ive been looking for info on converting to a single carb on my srx 400 monoshock

reason why ?? well the honda xr's have single carb and seem quite raw with power

also the price of air filters and diaphrams from yam dealers !

and lastly cuz i cant leave anything standard pmsl

ive converted the bike for offroad/enduro type use as something to mess about on ....lost my bike license years ago and not gonna pay silly money to get back into riding bikes on the road....well overpriced now!!

anyway good to see more srx owners!
any pics of a manifold would be great !!

happy ridin

simon