Author Topic: winter and xbr  (Read 1546 times)

Tuoppo

winter and xbr
« on: December 02, 2007, 06:52:17 PM »
Hi

Is here anybody else who likes to drive also in winter? Couple of pictures from yesterday.  :)

« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 06:59:11 PM by Tuoppo »

Steffan

Re: winter and xbr
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 07:39:26 PM »
looks like a hoot!!

Steffan

themoudie

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 09:26:34 PM »
Aye Tuoppo,

Looks much better than us today. No snow but cold, bright with a northerly breeze, frost and the roads covered in brine, rubber, oil and mud emulsion ??? Not only does the emulsion provide no grip, but it corrodes the bike in front of your eyes. ??? Wheelspin at 45mph (60kph) mid corner on a 400lb, 33HP motorcycle! :o

The Bros needed a clean from the weekday shopping runs, so Kat and I took it in turns to do the Xmas shopping, before I gave 'him' a wash and hose down. Followed by ACF50 and Scotoiler365 treatment. Hopefully, your snow isn't as corrosive as our emulsion!

My regards, Bill.

Andy M

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 08:14:01 AM »
Great pics.

I love riding and camping in proper snow. The problem in the UK is we don't get any, which makes buying the proper kit a financial strain for a few hours fun. We also have the problem that when there is a few mm of snow the whole countrys road system blocks up with idiots who can't drive in it.

Wish I had the cash for a knobbly tyre and a ferry ticket  :'(

I'll have to make do with working on my heated visor to beat the Manchester spray on the way to the Dragon.

Andy

Steffan

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 04:43:20 PM »
Speaking as a solo-ist a couple of inches and it isn't long before it is completely unrideable anyway. There a some of us who would welcome the ripping up of the surfacing on all non major roads, thus making them passable in all weather.

Steffan

andy230

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 05:01:08 PM »
Hi

Is here anybody else who likes to drive also in winter? Couple of pictures from yesterday.  :)

Hello Tuoppo!

That looks like a lot of fun!!  Big knobblies front and rear, and nice big torquey single...

Did you have any "offs"?  I quite enjoyed taking the DR to work in the (actually fairly mild!) winter last year.  There was about 6 inches of snow.....!  But she was good for all that.

Need to get some decent tyres soon tho,

a

guest27

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 08:32:58 PM »
Great pics.

I love riding and camping in proper snow. The problem in the UK is we don't get any, which makes buying the proper kit a financial strain for a few hours fun. We also have the problem that when there is a few mm of snow the whole countrys road system blocks up with idiots who can't drive in it.

Wish I had the cash for a knobbly tyre and a ferry ticket  :'(

I'll have to make do with working on my heated visor to beat the Manchester spray on the way to the Dragon.

Andy

Have a number of friends who have lived in Scandinavia, Northern Germany etc etc where they get loads of snow every year and they all say the same thing - when the first snow falls there is 'chaos' as people have forgotten over the course of a year how to drive in the stuff, but after a week or two things settle down and people trundle on till the next year.  Having either moved to this country - or returned, they concur that the 'chaos' we get is just the same as the start of the winter where it snows alot - but then the snow goes after a week and we do not get on top of the situation.  ALso because we have less inclement weather we have fewer snow ploughs etc.

However I love riding in the snow - so long as it is on a 'dirt' bike, have ridden both the Triton and the RD500 in the snow - eeeeeekkkkkkkk

The XBR looks good with knobblies

R

guest7

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 08:42:11 PM »
The XBR looks good with knobblies

They look great all the time  :D

I notice it also has the higher CBX550FII handlebars, a common mod (I'll get my anorak...)

GC

pigafetta

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 08:50:31 PM »
Hiya Tuoppo

Looks like huge amounts of fun! Your bike does look cool with knobblies and those CBX clipons. Are you using standard length cables etc with them? I've been thinking of getting a set for ages.

Dave B

Tuoppo

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 09:07:09 PM »
Hi all.

It`s nice to notice that people are interested for winter driving. Driving in winter is very different than summer but sure it`s very fun. I have also spikes in my tires because recular knobblie tires are too slippery on ice. Spikes are 5mm long in front and 3mm long in rear. The grip what you have with these tires is unbelievable. I have modded handlebars and also front fender because spikes didn`t fit in :) You can use orginal cables with cbx handlebars but if you find somewhere longer for choke and throttle use those.   

I don`t have any offroad bikes but many people have those here in Finland. I almost trade my XBR last summer to BMW Funduro but after test drive I liked my XBR more :) I like also xbr because it`s easy to maintain and cheap to insure.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 09:08:59 PM by Tuoppo »

Steffan

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 07:12:26 AM »
Spikes hmmm. Couldn't send Bruce and I a set each?

Tuoppo

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 04:08:19 PM »
Spikes works only on ice or snow. On highway without snow spikes are very slippery. Tire shops can put  different lenght spikes almost in everykind of offroad tires. Only problem is that over 2-3mm aren`t road legal anymore and driving with tiny spikes is almost impossible. These are my tires. 

Alan Hughes

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 08:48:12 PM »
Hmmm... wouldn't want those running over my foot - ouch!!

uncle

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 07:28:06 PM »
ride on Tuoppo! ...respect ;D
ummm... how's the handling feeling with the spikes on asphalt?!

Tuoppo

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 03:47:53 PM »
ride on Tuoppo! ...respect ;D
ummm... how's the handling feeling with the spikes on asphalt?!

It`s like driving on ice without spikes :) Spikes work only in snow.