Author Topic: valves 2!  (Read 2062 times)

andy230

valves 2!
« on: September 07, 2006, 12:09:27 PM »
How much grinding does a valve need??  Previously I've done it on Norton heads, presumably the same applies to the SRX?

Is there a "time" each valve will take to lap in??  Or is that as long as a piece of string?  Minutes, hours, days?!!

Just until an even band appears on the valve / seat ? 

Cheers for now

a

Steve H

Re: valves 2!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 01:03:35 PM »
From memory the seats are quite hard and take quite a while.

themoudie

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 06:35:21 PM »
Aye Andy,

That thin matt grey line around the entire circumference is all thats required (1 - 2mm max)! Patience! Patience!

Make sure you lift and move the valve 90 degrees, before commencing the next 'twirl' with the sucker on a stick. It just makes sure you are even all the way round. Should hold parrafin poured into the port, without leaks, when hand pulled into place after lapping in.

Clean off with brake cleaner and then hot water with soap, followed by plenty of clean rinsing water and a dry with a rag followed by a warm oven.

Lovely smell! ;-)

All the best, Bill

andy230

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 08:49:02 AM »
Cool... thanks Bill.

I think I'll be ok then, just take it easy.  Must find a wee twirly stick now!  Whats the bet the car accessory shop round the corner wont have it?  I mean, who in London grinds in their own valves, I ask you?!?!

Bill, (anyone!), prudent to replace the valve stem seal?  Think I will, probably not too dear....

And, as long as I'm careful with the paste, can I leave the other 3 valves in place??  Would you?  Still rinse with brake cleaner & lots of water??

Not done anything yet: imagine coming down from glasgow and forgetting my valve string compressor!  Duuuuhh!!!

Cheers, speak soon

andy

squirrelciv

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 10:32:35 AM »
Well it's no wonder you dropped a valve if they're held in with string!!! :-)

Personally I would replace all the valve oil seals and remove/clean/re-seat(if nessessary) all the valves while things are apart. I mean, it really doesn't take that long and I'm paranoid the fate police will meddle with something. Only takes a spot of paste to get down a guide and things get buggered up really quickly.
Live long, live well, live happy

themoudie

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 07:08:24 PM »
Aye Andy,

Agree with Pat. Take all the valves out. Keep each component group together and replace the seals of all. Grind each valve in, I would hope that with the 3 'sound' valves, this is just a 'twirl' to ensure they are all sealing with an even matt ring round the circumference.

Paste on your guides WILL make them as slack as "Throwing a pork sausage up a close!". It also does wonders for every other bearing surface in the motor.

Yes, RINSE and FLUSH, then DRY the head, before assembly. Do the same for the valves, you can't be to careful. Use red grease, or your favoured engine oil on all bearing surfaces, especially the cam in the head and the rocker cover bearing surfaces. I prefer red grease for these bits as it doesn't 'run off' after assembly. Change the oil after you've run it up and maybe given it a few laps of practise to check that all is well with no leaks and bedded in.

Cheers, Bill

peterj

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 09:33:04 PM »
This mightn't be to everybody's taste, but I use a battery drill on the valve stem. Bit of forward, bit of reverse lift in between and turn a bit off the seat and it's done in no time.

themoudie

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 08:27:30 PM »
Evening peterj,

Never tried it myself, but don't see why not. Main thing is to lift and turn regular and check regular. I'm going to give it a shot on the next valve job.

Happy grinding/lapping of valves!

Cheers, Bill

J Hop

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 09:08:53 PM »
Lets all be glad we own 2, 4 or 5 valve singles and not 20 valve inline fours or a 32 valve V8  ;-)

• Stalwart(TM)
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2006, 10:22:01 PM »
Lets all be glad we own 2, 4 or 5 valve singles and not 20 valve inline fours or a 32 valve V8  ;-)

Did the vavles in a CBX Thou when I first started Spanner Bashing.

Awful Bl@@dy Engines CB750/900 and the 1100R absolutley Awful Piles of Cack.
Two Cam chains WHY ! Total Shite.

Thank You for making me remember the early eighties offerings from Honda !

Jethro
Cooey
Martini-Greener GP
Lee Enfield
ELG

peterj

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 08:04:59 AM »
Without all the worderful engines made by Honda in the late 70's early 80's, helicoil would never have survived and prospered.

• Stalwart(TM)
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 09:29:13 PM »
Without all the worderful engines made by Honda in the late 70's early 80's, helicoil would never have survived and prospered.

Or the cam chain maufacturers or WD40 etc.....etc.....etc.....
Inboard discs ? I ask you,an answer to what problem ?????
CBX 550 engine that ran anticlockwise,cam chains made of elastic,triple inboard ventilated discs...!!??
NASTY SHITE !

Jethro
Cooey
Martini-Greener GP
Lee Enfield
ELG

themoudie

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2006, 10:15:43 PM »
Evening Jethro,

CBX550 must be your 'bet noir'!

POTD also looks 'dangerous'!

Any thoughts on Morini's with Heron heads?

Regards, Bill