Author Topic: Enquiry of woe  (Read 1450 times)

guest7

Enquiry of woe
« on: September 02, 2006, 06:46:28 AM »
Received this mail the other day:

"Hi, I purchased a p reg szr earlier in the year and it has now developed a very strange noise. It still runs and does not miss at all. The noise sounds like something is rubbing in side the engine, no bits have been found in the oil or filter. The top end has been looked at and seems to be ok. I removed the fly wheel inspection cover from the right side of the engine and some one has welded the nut on.
  Can you recommend to me some one who would be willing to look at it for me ?. I live in Halifax.
Thanks   Noel"

Can anyone help him?
GC

J Hop

Re: Enquiry of woe
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 06:27:59 PM »
The noise sounds like something is rubbing in side the engine, I removed the fly wheel inspection cover from the right side of the engine and some one has welded the nut on.

There are some right unscrupulous bodging w****** about, I've worked in the motor trade and one bodge I've seen springs to mind, I was working on a car with an alloy sump and somebody previously must have stripped the threads for the sump bung :-

Because they had tapped the hole out to 14mm and put a SPARKPLUG in the hole.

themoudie

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 11:32:54 PM »
Aye GC,

Has a previous owner have the nut slacken off and let the flywheel chatter on the taper?

Common Duke single phoible which is expensive and requires metal spraying and re-machining of the taper. Yes, I've had one. ;-(

Just a thought.

Cheers, Bill

Alan#307

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 09:08:11 AM »
Hi Noel
I am not a mechanic but do know a bit about bikes.If you want i will take a look at your bike and see if we can shed some light on your strange noise.I live in Huddersfield by the M62.Send me your Phone number.
Alan