Author Topic: Will I need to rejet?  (Read 1868 times)

Frog

Re: Will I need to rejet?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 04:34:55 PM »
Took the bike out for a good run yesterday evening - running weak and lots of popping and banging on shutting off.  Leaving carbs as standard not a option..............

Today I did most of bikeseamus' suggestions -
* opened mixture screw to 5 1/2 turns
*  Needles raised one notch
* Turn and a half taken off of the CV carb spring
* Sync screw in 1 3/4 turns to open the second carb a little earlier.

The on road effect is very good - Pulling very well and no signs of a weak mixture. Bike hitting 95mph pretty quickly (with the feeling of plenty left to come) and is faster up a local fairly long steep (ish) hill that is always a good test.

Not sure it needs the 135 jet as to me seems fine as is now - Going to run it like this and do a plug chop. Bike is, I am sure faster, and pulling harder than it was standard so a worthwhile exercise

Thanks for all the help guys - I think I am sorted:-)

Cheers

Frog

Ian

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 10:04:59 PM »
Excellent ,Good to hear it worked .
Once I've got my traveller Mot'ed I might find the time to play with the sports carbs......

bullet350

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 08:58:41 AM »

more importantly, does it sound good?

bullet350

Steffan

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 02:09:39 PM »
I just hope that Frog made sure there were no leaks in the exhaust before ripping out the carb and doing all these changes. Skorpions have a reputation for popping and carrying on when there is an exhaust leak. Also if the exhaust valves are a bit tight you can get the same symptoms. I am sure that everything will be fine though.

Steffan

Frog

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2007, 03:17:56 PM »
A good point Steffan

I did check - been there before with an Enfield 500:-)

Also of course the carb alterations have got rid of the symptoms (always a good sign even if not conclusive)

Frog

Frog

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2007, 03:34:04 PM »
bullet350 asked does it sound good...............

Yep it sounds bl**dy marvelous!

I got lucky with a can off of fleabay - £16 was cheap for a Carbon can company can in stainless. Very nice bassy mellow sound that whilst loud enough is not too loud and the tone is not irritating (which I sometimes find is the case with louder exhausts after a few miles). Link pipe was not cheap from renegade - about £50.

It is the nicest sounding single I've heard in a while (even if I do say so myself!) :-)

Another benefit I have noticed is that it now pulls cleanly from about 500rpm lower than it did with the stock set up - not sure why that should be................ This unanticipated benefit alone is worth the effort (minimal)  and cost.

Frog