Author Topic: Importing bikes into UK  (Read 2159 times)

Dale

Importing bikes into UK
« on: August 17, 2006, 05:14:41 AM »
Hi there,Has anyone had any experience with bringing a bike into the England ? Specifically from Australia.
The ball and chain is making me move to Blighty and I want to bring the srx600 with me - 1986 model that has come from Japan.
Any usefull information/websites appreciated about what steps are involved and the govt agencies I need to talk to . Cheers Dale

guest27

Re: Importing bikes into UK
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 02:29:56 PM »
Hi there
I have probably missed something - but would it not be easier and cheaper to sell it there and buy another here - I know I would lothe to sell any of my wreaks but..

R

guest7

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 03:44:34 PM »
At first guess try the DVLA website:
www.dvla.gov.uk

Cheers
GC

Dale

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 03:17:01 AM »
Hi there
I have probably missed something - but would it not be easier and cheaper to sell it there and buy another here - I know I would lothe to sell any of my wreaks but..

R

Yes it would be but it's taken me 4 years to get it perfect and I'd rather not....

Andy M

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 11:24:46 AM »
This is based on research into buying in Holland, so please excuse any errors.

If the model is sold into the UK it shouldn't be a huge problem. I'd suggest using a shipping agent, but customs are simply going to take a look, value and charge you any applicable duty. The agent is good as they might fight your corner if the VAT man decides your bike is worth £10,000. With new stuff you know what you'll pay as you have a dealer receipt, for second hand guess or print some pages off e-bay. If you can get UK insurance you should even be able to ride it home and to the MOT on the Australian plates.

Once the bike is here you've got to register it. If you've got the Australian papers that show the model and age, you take it for an MOT (inspection of mechanical condition when over 3 years old in case you didn't know) then go down the local tax office and apply for a registration. With age related papers they'll issue a V5 and you can get a plate made with the correct age letter. With V5, insurance and MOT you can pay your road tax and your there.

Hassle I think will come in three places:

If you can't prove the age they'll issue a Q plate. This is no great shakes except your insurance costs go up as you'll get lumped in with all the people who've welded 3 Trabants and a Lada together to make a 4x4 limo.

If the model isn't on their list they'll want it to go through SVA, single vehicle approval. This is a glorified MOT where they'll look for tyres without EU marks, fuel caps that stick out too far, lights that dip incorrectly etc. From this you should only get a bill for new tyres etc. on an SRX but on some bikes you'd be stuck (for example if no one makes approved tyres). Enfields brought in from India without going through the official importer for example need SVA because the home market model is known to need mods.

The MOT might pick out some unexpected bits too. Going the other direction for example I believe UK bikes have to have wear markers fitted to drum brakes to pass the Australian MOT. I can't think how a well set up bike would fail, but you might need to do some work.

This is a lot of hassle and I'd agree with the suggestion of buying here and sorting a UK bike, but good luck if you go for it,

Andy

guest18

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 02:06:27 PM »
I can understand wanting to import a known, decent bike rather than selling and buying who knows what problems in a new country!!
The V5 Andy mentioned incidentaly is the UK ownership document, although technically it should be registered to the "keeper", who may not actually be the owner... but let's not go there eh!?!

I reckon you shouldn't have any major dramas. It is (I assume) a model made for rhd countries, it is a model imported to the UK anyway and by what you say about "perfecting it" it should sail through an mot (a lot of subjective tests but basically they just want to check the lights/brakes/suspension etc all work and it's not going to kill anyone with pollution/noise/bits falling off).

Whereabouts are you aiming to settle? A local TC member may be able to help you out with bike shops/mot stations/dvla etc etc?

Smudge

Dale

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 03:45:07 AM »
This is based on research into buying in Holland, so please excuse any errors.

If the model is sold into the UK it shouldn't be a huge problem. I'd suggest using a shipping agent, but customs are simply going to take a look, value and charge you any applicable duty. The agent is good as they might fight your corner if the VAT man decides your bike is worth £10,000. With new stuff you know what you'll pay as you have a dealer receipt, for second hand guess or print some pages off e-bay. If you can get UK insurance you should even be able to ride it home and to the MOT on the Australian plates.

Once the bike is here you've got to register it. If you've got the Australian papers that show the model and age, you take it for an MOT (inspection of mechanical condition when over 3 years old in case you didn't know) then go down the local tax office and apply for a registration. With age related papers they'll issue a V5 and you can get a plate made with the correct age letter. With V5, insurance and MOT you can pay your road tax and your there.

Hassle I think will come in three places:

If you can't prove the age they'll issue a Q plate. This is no great shakes except your insurance costs go up as you'll get lumped in with all the people who've welded 3 Trabants and a Lada together to make a 4x4 limo.

If the model isn't on their list they'll want it to go through SVA, single vehicle approval. This is a glorified MOT where they'll look for tyres without EU marks, fuel caps that stick out too far, lights that dip incorrectly etc. From this you should only get a bill for new tyres etc. on an SRX but on some bikes you'd be stuck (for example if no one makes approved tyres). Enfields brought in from India without going through the official importer for example need SVA because the home market model is known to need mods.

The MOT might pick out some unexpected bits too. Going the other direction for example I believe UK bikes have to have wear markers fitted to drum brakes to pass the Australian MOT. I can't think how a well set up bike would fail, but you might need to do some work.

This is a lot of hassle and I'd agree with the suggestion of buying here and sorting a UK bike, but good luck if you go for it,

Andy

Thanks for the info - it sounds a bit easier than I thought although I am having second thoughts about the whole thing.Hate the idea of leaving a bike to sit in a shed whilst I am in the uk cheers Dale

dale

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 03:47:05 AM »
I can understand wanting to import a known, decent bike rather than selling and buying who knows what problems in a new country!!
The V5 Andy mentioned incidentaly is the UK ownership document, although technically it should be registered to the "keeper", who may not actually be the owner... but let's not go there eh!?!

I reckon you shouldn't have any major dramas. It is (I assume) a model made for rhd countries, it is a model imported to the UK anyway and by what you say about "perfecting it" it should sail through an mot (a lot of subjective tests but basically they just want to check the lights/brakes/suspension etc all work and it's not going to kill anyone with pollution/noise/bits falling off).

Whereabouts are you aiming to settle? A local TC member may be able to help you out with bike shops/mot stations/dvla etc etc?

Smudge

Thanks Smudge - most likely London or outer areas depending on work.

John B

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 11:09:19 PM »
Hi there,Has anyone had any experience with bringing a bike into the England ? Specifically from Australia.
The ball and chain is making me move to Blighty and I want to bring the srx600 with me - 1986 model that has come from Japan.
Any usefull information/websites appreciated about what steps are involved and the govt agencies I need to talk to . Cheers Dale

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/motorcycleowners/importingandbuildingvehicles/00importingandbuildingvehicles.htm