Author Topic: Oh no!  (Read 1426 times)

iansoady

Oh no!
« on: March 10, 2024, 11:19:30 AM »
Just gone out to the garage and both the XBR and the Tri-Greeves have gone. The Norton is still there fortunately but I wouldn't be surprised if they came back for it. Obviously people who knew what they were doing and must have known the bikes were there. We've had various builders / landscapers over the last few years and some of them have seen the bikes but it's pointless pointing fingers.

I've had plenty of bikes stolen in the past but this is a first from a locked garage.

If anyone's offered bits please let me know. The bikes:

Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

CrazyFrog

Re: Oh no!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 06:14:54 PM »
What an absolute bummer Ian after all the effort you put into those two bikes.  >:(
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

kevberlin

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2024, 08:50:19 PM »
Blinking heck. Sorry to hear that.
1983 Honda CB250RS
2023 BMW G310GS
2005 Honda CBF250

themoudie

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 09:21:58 PM »
Aye Ian,

That is a real kick in the guts, my heart sank at the news.

May I ask the obvious questions, if you have publicised there theft?

Do you want the theft publicised on other motorcycle websites?

I am happy to post the images up on the various forum I visit.

Whilst the chances maybe slim, it could be worth making the bikes and or their components difficult to shift. So, engine, frame, registration numbers would be useful. BUT, only if you say so.

Good health, Bill

Itsme

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 07:45:01 AM »
Ian

I can only add my commiserations to those already expressed and say how absolutely rotten this is for you.

Ian

Moto63

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2024, 08:00:13 AM »
Yes. I too was genuinely and truly gutted for you when I read your post Ian. What a Set of low life scum bags. My fingers are firmly crossed that you get some form of result from the police and hopefully get them returned to their rightful owner 🤞🤞🤞
Michael

xbally

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2024, 09:34:55 AM »
So sorry to hear this Ian. You have my every sympathy and I can only hope you recover the bikes without too much damage.

It's everyone's nightmare.

Have you noticed any dodgy characters or maybe been followed back on the bikes?

From what people have said round here I tend now to keep my bikes out of sight whenever I can.
HONDA CB250RSA ROYAL ENFIELD CRUSADER

iansoady

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2024, 09:58:34 AM »
Thanks all. For what it's worth reg numbers are D990OGO for the Honda, 459XVY for the Tri-Greeves although I expect these have disappeared. VIN for the former is PC155100865, engine PC15E5100859; frame for the Tri-Greeves 8771/25SA, engine H15902. I've mentioned the theft on a few forums but more would be helpful so thanks for that Bill.

I'm going to pop photos in local bike shops so they can keep an eye out but am not at all hopeful.

I'll be contacting the insurance company today so hope for a decent outcome from that at least.
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

themoudie

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2024, 02:39:35 PM »
Aye Ian,

I have posted on a few sites and put it about up here at local classic club. I too hope that you get the bikes back and at worst the insurers pay out in full, with a trip round the houses.

Good health, Bill

iansoady

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2024, 04:41:09 PM »
Many thanks Bill. I don't expect to see them again really although will go to a couple of autojumbles to see if any bits show up. I've just had a visit from 2 PCSOs who gave me sympathetic advice and left some smartwater. Ordered a couple of shed alarms and I think will get a wereless burglar alarm as well. At £100 they're cheap enough.

My mind is already turning to pastures new. I dropped photos of the missing bikes off at my local bike shop and noticed he still had this:

which I've posted here before. I'm tempted.......
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2024, 08:59:30 PM »
Sh*t Damn Blast!!! all that work, all that fettling, just so bloody dispiriting!! i feel for you Ian .... eyes will be kept open in the vain hope of seeing anything showing up.

themoudie

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2024, 12:07:18 AM »
Aye Ian,

With the advent of battery disc cutters, most physical barriers are not effective. Big padlocks/bars/grills just arouse inquisitive prying. A "Ring" type remote camera, covering both the front and rear of the garage/house, can be hidden and connected either to a smart phone or your home computer, probably produces more useful information and a big LED floodlight, operated by a PIR switch, is likely to make people nervous.

Chaining the bikes together and then to a ground anchor may not stop the theft, but it delays the removal of multiple "sweets" and whilst you may loose a wheel the machines may remain.

Being out in the sticks, loud alarms aren't really much use here and having heard of two bikes stored in Grandfather's garage 2 miles down the road from the owners property, stolen after the thieves kept watch to see where they were kept, came across the fields at the rear of the garage, removed the rear wall and wheeled them back across the field, there appear to be no limits to what some will do, if they are intent on lifting your bike. Camper vans and or their luxury fittings are also now increasingly being targeted, even when locked away in workshops!

As for the CCM, I'm no sure; bit of a "desirable" in many eyes, not mine and insurance will no be "reasonable" after this incident! :(

Good health, Bill

Itsme

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2024, 08:52:48 AM »
It really is a sad fact that thieves seem to have it all their own way now. One hears tales all the time of improbable thefts where bikes go missing from virtual fortresses and of course police forces either have no will or no budget to stop them. But then again this lack of police interest goes back a long way. In the 80s I worked with young men who were in the criminal justice system and you may recall that car theft was rife, particularly GTIs etc. It was common when a lad was being charged for the police to add on large numbers of 'Taken into Account' charges. In other words if a lad knew he was guilty he agreed to accept a number of unsolved thefts in his offence without any extra penalty. They got no worse a sentence and the police could claim a high clear up rate. Bastards, both!

On a brighter note well done Ian for not brooding on what is a devastating loss and if it were me the CCM would definitely be a choice. I would then either chain a large, feral dog to it or have an argument with my wife when she found it kept in the kitchen.

Hope you are ok and soon get a good result.

Ian

tommy

• xbr500 xbr 650 nx 650 gsx1100
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2024, 10:35:40 PM »
really very very sorry to hear this ian ,i know you  put alot work  into your xbr , they might turn up with a bit of luck  .tommy

Ian

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2024, 06:01:55 AM »
Hi Ian, just got back off holiday and read this. I don't think I can add any more to what has already been said. I'm sure all the cussing and swearing will not bring any positive result however it will probably make you feel a bit better. It also takes away a lot of enthusiasm of doing another bike but I'm sure you will do. I sincerely hope you get adequate recompense for your hard work but IMHO I feel that is totally doubtful knowing insurance companies nowadays.
😡🤬🤬😡
1 Speed400 1 C400X -2 thumpers plus one!