Technical > Bike Problems/Questions

Someone will know

(1/2) > >>

Itsme:
Hello Thumpering types

I have had my Suzuki 250 Inazuma in my garage for a couple of weeks trying to decide if it should be a project and during that time I disconnected the instrument cluster from the main wiring loom; two multi-pin connectors.

I began putting the bike back together and two small faults have occurred which I am baffled by. The first was that when I tried a short test ride the back brake locked on solidly (fortunately at very low speed) and only released when I undid the bleed nipple and has only regained normal operation now that I removed and replaced the fluid reservoir top and operated the brake carefully.

The second fault is that when I re-connected the instruments everything returned to normal except the mileometer which has inexplicably added about 8,000 miles to the total mileage. I don't care in some ways as I don't intend selling the bike now, but a friend of mine suggested that by disconnecting and re-connecting the instruments have I somehow re-set the mileage to its true level? This bike has been a pain since I bought it and has a dodgy MOT record so it wouldn't surprise me to find out it has been 'clocked' or something similar. The annoying thing is I bought it from a dealer not some back street individual and I bought it to be a reliable companion to the ageing Mighty Midget which needs a fair bit of attention and yet the Inazuma has needed more time and attention than the GN250 and is still not really settled.

The thing now is it has become a war of attrition with me determined to show it who is boss and turn it into a decent bike. Or I might just set fire to it!

Any thoughts gratefully welcomed as to what has happened with these two faults.

Ian

Moto63:
Hi Ian.....yet more reasoning as to why the angle grinder needs to come out and build a special out of it I say. Just think of all the joy and release of pent up anger you can achieve with one swift cut of angle grinder bliss.
On a more serious note, bad do’s if it has been clocked. 🤬
Best of luck with it (especially with the angle grinder 😉)
Cheers, Michael

Steve H:
Has it reset to read in km rather than miles ?

iansoady:
Re the back brake problem - it could be that the actuating rod has been overadjusted so isn't retracting far enough to uncover the little hole in the master cylinder that allows fluid to return. Or maybe said hole is blocked?

I once had a similar problem with my Norton Commando that I'd fitted a somewhat modified Guzzi master cylinder to the front. In the wilds of Wales it came toi a shuddering halt with the front brake locked on and I had to release the bleed nipple as you did. In my case it was the first of my above suggestions.

Itsme:
Hi All

Thank you all for your swift replies. Steve you are a genius! Reset to miles and voila, correct reading. How I felt silly and relieved at the same time! Ian I shall examine the brake master cylinder carefully as I once had a similar problem with a BMW R1100 which I had totally forgotten. Michael you are a real tempter, but as Dick Emery used to say 'oooo you are naughty, but I like it'.

Thank you once agin chaps.

Ian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version