Author Topic: Project? Well sort of.  (Read 1690 times)

Itsme

Project? Well sort of.
« on: August 02, 2023, 02:45:08 PM »
With due deference to a previous post with a very similar title in this section I have found myself considering making my Inazuma 250 into a project.

I have never fully settled with my Inazuma, even though I know Pete likes his. It just has never seemed totally stable, especially in wind and on badly surfaced roads. Mine is the fully faired version and there is evidence on one side of the fairing of a drop and a previous MOT mentions a fail as the clutch lever had been 'shortened', i.e. snapped off. It just happens that the scuffs on the fairing are on the clutch side.

I was returning from a windy ride on Sunday and the bloody thing was awful, feeling very unstable round bends and even on straight bits. But it is a fabulous motor and when it is handling well it is a lovely bike. Because of this I decided to strip the entire fairing off so I could check for frame straightness, wheel/fairing alignment etc. When I did two things struck me immediately; the full fairing is a heavy old beast and how nice the bike looks with all the crap stripped off it.

So plans are formulating in my head about a naked, simple bike, maybe with some city case type panniers on. This would use the best things about the Inazuma, but eliminate about 10 kg of badly distributed weight. All of this depends on the frame etc being in spec when I get round to measuring everything.

I will keep you informed.

Ian

Ian

iansoady

Re: Project? Well sort of.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2023, 03:50:42 PM »
Sounds good, look forward to hearing about progress.
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

Moto63

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2023, 04:18:30 PM »
Ooo.... yeah, sounds very interesting indeedy. Can’t wait for loads of photos. Before, during and after.
Best of luck with it Ian 👍
Cheers, Michael

CrazyFrog

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2023, 06:34:31 PM »
Getting shot of the scaffold tubing standard exhaust also help! I saw a piccie of one that had been stripped back and 'Street fightered'. Looked really good 👍
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

Itsme

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2023, 05:28:52 AM »
Thank you for your encouragement gentlemen, but I must stress this will be a very basic project unlike the lovely bikes crafted by some of yourselves. I'm favouring a very raw, almost unfinished look. I will think about an exhaust Pete when I can persuade my wife to stop spending our money on her micro-camper hobby. I will try to take and upload photos, but up to now I have had no luck getting them off my phone and onto my computer, cue child entering stage left!

Right, off to the garage for more thinking and visualising I think.

Ian

Moto63

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2023, 07:08:58 AM »
I will try to take and upload photos, but up to now I have had no luck getting them off my phone and onto my computer,
Ian
You are not alone my friend. I don’t have a clue how to post photos up on here. I used to email mine across to Matt (Mthee) who would then very kindly take the time to post them up for me.
Hopefully you can find someone who will post them up Ian as I for one would love to see the progress 👍
Cheers Michael (the hopeful )

Ian

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2023, 10:54:28 PM »
Hi Itsme (Ian) I do not have a problem resizing and posting photos for you. I have on my old laptop some excellent software that resizes in the blink of an eye. Email me your piccies and I will sort them out hopefully to your satisfaction.
Kind regards Ian R
1 Speed400 1 C400X -2 thumpers plus one!

Moto63

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2023, 06:58:53 AM »
Ooh... how I do love a happy ending. Looking forward to see some pics of the project 👍

Itsme

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2023, 09:40:04 AM »
Hi Thumpeteers.

I have decided I am not going ahead with a project. This is for three reasons;

1) Having reviewed some of the past projects I've done and having seen things like the lovely BSA cafe racer Ian posted recently I have realised I just don't have the talent to turn out anything really nice so rather than ruin a bike I am re-building it as standard and checking it as I go. This is not false modesty it is realism.
2) I haven't really got the time to do the job as I need the Inazuma on the road.
3) I don't have the money spare to do the job well.
4) I can't count.

Anyway at the minute I am using the Mighty Midget and enjoying it, but it will need attention soon, hence the need for the Inazuma.

I did like the BSA though and if I ever develop that level of skill I might have another go at a special.

Ian

iansoady

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2023, 10:33:04 AM »
Oh, go on......
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

Moto63

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2023, 11:26:50 AM »
Oh, go on......
Hear, hear....YES. Go on, you know you WANT to 😉👍

Itsme

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2023, 08:18:03 PM »
You're a terrible bunch of tempters. But.................

Ian

themoudie

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2023, 08:26:25 PM »
The micro-camper (whatever that maybe?) wins!  :'(

Good health, Bill

Itsme

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2023, 08:25:39 AM »

Hi there just a little update. I have got as far as stripping he fairing off, fitting a cheap ebay headlight and a short front mudguard (as the original is the ugliest mudguard ever to disgrace a bike IMHO). I have to say how well it has transformed the handling, the bike is now much more stable and nice to ride so I think I will persevere with the special idea.

However when I went out on it on Saturday morning the rear brake seized on. When I got home, thanks to my wife rescuing me by bringing tools, I stripped the caliper and master cylinder and found both corroded and filthy. This poor bike has never had any love and attention. Rebuild kits for both caliper and cylinder are now on their way.

I will try to get some photos as soon as I can.

Ian

iansoady

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2023, 08:58:14 AM »
You see, worth the effort. I wish I was as successful with the XBR which despite looking very pretty has refused to run properly and is now sulking despite being fitted with an expensive replacement CDI unit and having the carb stripped & rebuilt several times. I'm now waiting for a Chinese "pitbike" whatever that is CDI unit to eliminate that.

Couple that with nipping the tube on the back wheel of the Tri-Greeves and I wonder if I'm losing my touch........
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250