Author Topic: CHAIN ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE  (Read 1040 times)

xbally

CHAIN ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE
« on: May 30, 2023, 10:27:50 AM »
My RE Continental GT535 is 8 years old but has only covered less than 3500 miles. I suspect it's been stood for quite lengthy periods and as a result of a lack of lubrication by some of the PO's there is rust on some of the side plates. The chain cannot be easily lifted off the rear sprocket but there are several tight spots which concern me. Would it be best to replace now or soldier on until the winter when I can take my time replacing both the chain and sprockets. I don't think it's ever a good idea just to replace only the chain. It's quite a faff of a job on these as the gearbox sprocket is behind  the generator which runs in oil so this has to be drained before taking the side cover off-a new gasket and lock washer are also needed of course.
HONDA CB250RSA HONDA ST70

TrickyMicky

Re: CHAIN ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 12:15:03 PM »
You are not alone in this world my friend, I have been playing with my GB250 Clubman, 36 years old and 9,000 miles on the clock. The tyres are just over 11 years old so I am replacing them. The rear chain is not that visible with chain guard  etc. fitted, so when I came to remove it, even though it was one of these 'wonderful'  O ring jobs, there was rust on the side plates, and the whole chain had a bad case of rigor mortis. Suffice to say that the front sprocket was beyond redemption, but of course that is the one which suffers the most anyway.  Apparently it is not always a good idea to use aerosol chain lube on an O ring chain as the solvents can destroy the little sealing rings. I have renewed the sprocket and installed a new old style roller chain which I can slap oil and grease on to my hearts content.  You have my sympathy with regards to the front sprocket not being too easy to access. Have fun. Mike.

xbally

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 01:07:53 PM »
Thanks Mike Tyres are another safety matter aren't they! My CGT has Pirellis with a fair bit of tread left. Another job to consider during the winter when I don't ride as much. The chain on the CGT looks to be a little stiff too. Problem for me is whether to spend £s on it or not as I'm in two minds whether to keep it . I have a 650 Interceptor which IMHO is a better bike but the CGT does have charms of its own. I'd like to try a T140 but good ones seem to be £5K + which the wife won't like!

Itsme

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2023, 04:33:01 PM »
Hi

I once read somewhere that people who want to extract more power from their bike should always start with a clean, well adjusted chain as a bad one can sap 50% of a bike's power. I don't know if that's true, but it shows how important good chains are.

If you aren't keeping the CGT then a good clean and lube might be enough to get by, however if you want to do any miles on it then a new chain is a small investment. If you Google The Chain Man the guy who runs it, Jason, is very knowledgable and reasonably priced.

Ian

themoudie

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2023, 04:36:46 PM »
On the Ducati 450 I'm running 428 (½" x 5/16") chain, the standard is ?" x ?" (530), from the "The-Chain-Man". Link to website: "The-Chain-Man"

It is an IWIS chain from Germany and I am running it with a cranked link (odd number of links required, due to gearing chosen by me) and a split link, with the spring clip wired in place. I have also used a 428 "Motocross" chain, no 'O'rings, without problem.

So far the chain has over 5,000 miles on it and along with sprockets that have done 9,000 miles in two and half years and all is running well. However, after 5,000 to 6,000 miles of single cylinder torture, I shall probably renew it, just for my heads sake!  ;)

IMHO a CGT (RE Continental GT?) is probably not putting out more grunt than my Duke and whilst the Ducati dosen't have room in the cases to fit 'O'ring chains, I think that 'O'ring chains are a bit of overkill for the engine power/annual mileages that you quote. Every time the Ducati engine oil is changed, bearing in mind that Ducati oil filters are only a nylon guauze, at 1,500 miles, the chain gets whipped off, rinsed in paraffin, then brake cleaner, hung up to dry, then dumped in a tub of EP80/chainsaw chain oil 50:50, allowed to soak and then hung up to drip dry, wiped over to remove excess oil and then re-fitted. Using a bit of copper wire to thread it back over the engine sprocket and toward the rear sprocket. Fortunately on the Ducati the gearchange mechanism that is contained within a separate case, outboard of the engine sprocket, comes away with the removal of 6 allen screws, leaving the sprocket exposed for maintanence or replacement when required.

Both the Honda Bross 400 (33BHP) and the SRX's 600 (40-45BHP) run 'O'ring chains and get 10,000 to 12,000 miles from them before being reduced to "knackered"! They just get wiped down to clean them after 2,000 miles and then the EP80/chainsaw chain oil 50:50 mix applied by dunking, then hanging up to drain. The problem with 520 or 525 'O'ring chains is the shear weight of them and if dry, the ability to absorb power, create heat, noise and wear on sprockets. I have used both spring links and rivetted links on the 'O'ring chains and the wired spring links have given no problem, so far.

The "top up" chain lubricant of choice that I use is "Bulldog BDX" from NI. Link: "Bulldog BDX"

As for tyres! If they are more than 5 years old, or have less than 2mm of tread, across the central third of the tread, I consign them to the re-cycling yard. My Council, re-cycle private tyre disposals, at no cost. I don't wish to add another potential risk to my neck by using rock hard, perished or polished rubber. OME rubber as a selling point on old/classic/vintage/veteran machines is just Baldock IMHO!  >:(  Just puts up my insurance premium!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 09:49:15 PM by themoudie »

xbally

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2023, 05:33:28 PM »
Thanks for helpful posts. The Chain Man is not far from me at Stourport and I seem to recall he has been recommended on here before. I think he used to be at Bewdley just up the river Severn before. I also recall he used to do some autojumbles in the days when I was a regular attendee. Hitchcock's do a lighter chain and sprocket set but are not cheap. I think I am correct in saying the OE  chain is   a 530 Ovring type. And yes the 535 Continental GT is not very powerful and does use a split link. Tyres are well within legal limit but should soon be replaced. I really need to decide if I am going to keep the CGT before throwing money at it. Sorry for this short reply and any typos as I am on my phone and can't clearly see the messages on screen. Martin

Moto63

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2023, 08:46:53 PM »
Personally I wouldn’t hesitate, I’d be straight down to my local bike shop for a new chain. ?
Chee, Michael

xbally

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2023, 12:29:00 PM »
Yes it looks as though a new chain will resolve it.Going to closely inspect sprockets and  then look at options. May pay a visit to Chainglingman (for Paul Weller fans-great track.)

Moto63

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2023, 07:08:13 PM »
Err… I think that was “changing man” 🤦???🤣🤣🤣
Name withheld to protect the non muso types 😜

Ian

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2023, 10:49:37 PM »
Just a bit of a tip to help you decide about the rear sprocket anyway. If you can get it off easily, try drawing around the teeth one way with a sharp pencil then turn the sprocket over and repeat. You'll soon see if there is wear. Then you may be able to make a better judged decision. Hope you can understand my gibberish.😜
1 Speed400 1 C400X -2 thumpers

xbally

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2023, 08:21:35 AM »
Thanks both .Yes Michael-just thought of the closeness of the track to The Chain Man. It's such a good track I could not resist. The other obvious "link"  song is "The Chain" by Fleetwood Mac-which most know as the F1 tune. I could go on "Unchained melody" -not my cup of tea..but "Woman In Chains -Tears For Fears is another great track.....Sorry I'm a bit bored this morning. Going to contact "The Chain Man" for advice. Mrs Xbally has virtually approved the expenditure..

xbally

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2023, 10:32:54 AM »
Rang the Chainman but he is on holiday until 6th June-guessing he may be at the TT.

xbally

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2023, 02:41:19 PM »
Have just picked up a new chain from The Chainman. Will fit it later in week when I can make time.

Itsme

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2023, 05:32:57 PM »
I've had two chains from him and have been very happy with them both. At least you know you aren't buying a knock off Chinese copy when you buy from him.

Ian

xbally

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2023, 06:09:00 PM »
I've had two chains from him and have been very happy with them both. At least you know you aren't buying a knock off Chinese copy when you buy from him.

Ian

Good to know Ian.