Author Topic: XBR500 Rear Carrier ID?  (Read 517 times)

TrickyMicky

XBR500 Rear Carrier ID?
« on: May 11, 2023, 09:28:18 AM »
Greetings troops,  managed to find this photo, and would love to know if anyone can identify the brand/make of rear carrier.  The only one I can find on sale at present is of German manufacture, costs a fortune, and can only carry 5kgs. Not looking for the full pannier set-up, just a useable rear rack.

Moto63

Re: XBR500 Rear Carrier ID?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2023, 05:47:56 PM »
Evening Micky, sorry but not sure what make of rack that is in the photo. Not sure if this is of an6 help to you but Hepco and Becker do a tube type carrier for the xbr.
Cheers, Michael

TrickyMicky

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2023, 05:53:41 PM »
Thanks for the reply, but that is the brand I was hinting at. It's a lot of money for very little rack. I have decided to remove the rear seat hump and buy a reasonably priced set of throw over bags. Mike.

richardeblack

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2023, 10:02:51 AM »
Blooming heck! Just had a look at the Hepco and Becker racks, they know how to charge.  £217 for a minimal rack.
I keep looking for a small rack that I can cut up and make up some tidy mountings for the XBR.  Luckily, so long as you don't mind losing the grab rail, the mounting brackets for them are very sturdy and I have used them for a rack before.
If I track down a rack that I don't mind cutting up or just get some tubing and start from scratch, I will post some pictures of how I get on.
I do find that most ready made racks are far too high and far back for my tastes so always make up my own brackets. As I said, the grab rail and lift handles are on robust frame lugs so I use them.
If I can I will show a photo of my last rack which wasn't pretty but low and far forward so didn't hut handling at all.
I too gave up and use a set of vintage Swagman throwovers which I got from Graham a couple of years ago.  They are very good but I would like a rack to fit the nice set of Rickman panniers which I acquired a while ago.  It also makes strapping my excellent Lomo tote bag to the bike much easier.
If you do find a nice rack at a sensible price, please let us know.
Cheers,
Richard

TrickyMicky

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2023, 08:55:51 AM »
Greetings troops,  have just bought and fitted a rather nice small rack on Fleabay. A small rack of unknown make has been cut and welded to the existing grab handle, and d'you what? It bleedin' works!  £48 plus postage made me a happy bunny.

richardeblack

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2023, 10:42:00 AM »
Nice job.
Similar to what I hope to do but a bit bigger braced onto handles under the seat.
Well done.

Moto63

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2023, 11:44:45 AM »
Yes .. nice n neat that 👍

xbr500paddymacman

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2023, 07:08:08 PM »
Nice one TrickyMicky. I was bidding for that exact item too. I made an offer too low, and then left it. I see you got it for the starting price, well done.
I took a few snaps from the eBay post in case like others, I thought of making one up. It does look nice 👍🏻

tommy

• xbr500 xbr 650 nx 650 gsx1100
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2023, 08:00:08 AM »
thats a nice neat job  handy carrier that  tommy

KTMat

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2023, 02:48:27 PM »
If it helps,  I put the Hepko and Beck carrier on my XBR.  I had a lot more than 5kg in it and never hade any problems with it. 

My only issue I had was that it finishes quite close to the pillion seat, so when I fitted the to box carrier, I couldn't get the key in.  I ended up having to modify the carrier.

richardeblack

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2023, 09:13:14 AM »
I remember on my bodge system for my XBR for work, I mounted it as low and far forward as possible for best weight distribution and concequently had to mount the top box so that it hinged back to give access to the seat lock. Only a small top box so not difficult except when I forgot to clip the box shut before tipping it back, depositing the entire contents on the floor. I only did this a few time (actually every time I needed to unlock the seat). What a plonker!
Just got to work out a tidy system of a nice rack like yours TrickyMicky, but with additional braces to take my nice Craven panniers I was given.
It won't be as tidy a job as yours though.
Cheers
Richard

tommy

• xbr500 xbr 650 nx 650 gsx1100
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2023, 05:19:12 PM »
back in the day when i was  a courier we used bungee strap a back box on the pollion seat   :D tommy