Author Topic: A question for Crazy Frog  (Read 290 times)

Itsme

A question for Crazy Frog
« on: May 08, 2023, 09:38:56 AM »
Hi Pete

Honest I am not trying to hijack Thumper Club to be an Inazuma forum but I do have a specific question and you are the only other person I know with one.

What tyres are you using and do you have any recomendations as to tyres? The reason I ask is that my tyres are something called IRC and I think fairly old and sometimes on A roads at 60ish the bike feels quite unstable, especially if it is a bit gusty. I had this type of thing with my ER5 when it was on Dunlops and as soon as I changed to Bridgestones it was a much more pleasant bike.

I will just say the Mighty Midget is running great so as to assuage the Thumper gods!

Ian

Moto63

Re: A question for Crazy Frog
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2023, 10:07:49 AM »

I will just say the Mighty Midget is running great so as to assuage the Thumper gods!

Ian
A sausage……. That’s definitely NOTHING to do with the TC 😏😁

Itsme

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 10:17:08 AM »
Must be I was thinking of the nice breakfast I had this morning at 7.30 at the local fishing lakes!

Ian

iansoady

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2023, 10:35:21 AM »
Hi Pete

Honest I am not trying to hijack Thumper Club to be an Inazuma forum

I should think not!

Ian

I seem to remember that IRC stands for India Rubber Company and they did not have a great reputation back in the day. Better than Pneumant however. Pete may disagree.....
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

CrazyFrog

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2023, 11:16:04 AM »
Hi Ian, yes, mine is still shod with the IRC Road Winner tyres it came with. By the looks of things they may last another couple of years, so I'll be replacing them before they're 10 years old. I definitely don't feel comfortable running tyres that are older than that. I don't find them to be a problem to be honest, certainly not in the same league as Pneumants which would slip and slide all over the place if the roads were anything other than bone dry. I'm no Hailwood however, and I've always been ultra cautious in the wet, probably due to the aforementioned Pneumants!

I'm not sure what I'll be replacing them with when the time comes - availability seems to be the governing factor in tyre choice at the moment, hopefully the supply chain issues will be resolved by the time I'm looking!

2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

Itsme

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2023, 04:10:27 PM »
Thanks Pete, I think my IRCs are original to the bike and have done 10,000 miles and show plenty of tread still so I think they are made for longevity rather than grip.

Ian and Pete you have made me shudder just to remember Pneumants which I am pretty sure were made of nylon like skateboard wheels! The original Barum tyres on JAWAs were only marginally better, but I think I'm right in saying they became Mitas which are now pretty good.

I'm going to have a bit of a think about what to do, especially as my local bike shop quoted me £300 to supply and fit a pair of Bridgestones whereas I have just ordered a rear tyre (Kenda) for the MM for £33. I think that's why I am more suited to a thumper than a modern machine.

Ian

CrazyFrog

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2023, 05:09:02 PM »
I had Kenda's on my Jawa, and have used their bicycle tyres. No problems at all, they performed just as well as any other tyres I've ever had.
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

themoudie

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2023, 08:01:33 PM »
Although bereft of the mandatory Inazuma! Venison sausages are my preference, or good Kent pork and sage bangers a close second!  ;)

I'd suggest Avon RoadRiders. On Fleabay a 110/80ZR17 can be purchased for £104-00 and a 140/70ZR17 for £153-00. They have performed well on the Honda Bros and SRX's for years. Kat has managed to squeeze 6,000 miles from a rear and 12,000 miles from a front on the Bros 400.

As for the quotation
I'm going to have a bit of a think about what to do, especially as my local bike shop quoted me £300 to supply and fit a pair of Bridgestones
  :o

"Highland dancer!" and a swift exit left would be my immediate reaction.

However, because Ukraine was the world supplier of carbon black and this is a major constituent of tyre rubber, the price for this raw material has gone through the roof! Hence, silly money for tyres! :(

Greasy, Indian Rubber Company tyres would not be my immediate choice of tyre.

Good health, Bill

Moto63

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2023, 06:58:39 AM »

I'd suggest Avon RoadRiders. On Fleabay a 110/80ZR17 can be purchased for £104-00 and a 140/70ZR17 for £153-00. They have performed well on the Honda Bros and SRX's for years.

Good health, Bill
Yes I too ran Avon road riders as too did big bro, we both got on well with them even when riding “ briskly”.
However I did have a couple of rear end slides (ooo ever vicar)with them when the roads were wet. Most likely me “pushing my luck” at the time. I’d be quick though if you’re thinking of getting a pair as they are no longer available, only the stock being held. Once they’ve all sold sadly there’ll be no more.
Oh… and it’s defo got to be pork n apple 😉
Cheers, Michael

Itsme

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2023, 08:33:35 AM »
I never wish to be controversial but if I didn't put a vote in for Lincolnshire sausage my wife (originally a Yorkshire lass brought up in Saxilby Lincolnshire) would turn me into sausage.

Thanks for the comments Bill and Michael, I had Avons on my BMW R800 and they were ok. I don't think I have to panic too much as I won't be riding the Inazuma a lot as unfortunately it irritates my shoulder injury. The MM does everything I need and is a lot more comfy so gets more use.

Ian