Author Topic: SRX 400 refurb  (Read 1241 times)

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
SRX 400 refurb
« on: March 23, 2023, 09:56:03 AM »
my new acquisition (SRX400) is in need of full bearing replacement. wheels, sprocket carrier, headstock, swing arm. i'm slightly confused as the wheels are tri spoke, and the front is 17" (with a larger single disc). the rear is 18", the bearings all look the same as the 600 twinshock, but my cheapo plastic micrometer isn't the best thing to be measuring them with.
i've located needle roller headstock kit, which is the same for the whole twinshock range. i'm also going to need seals.
no great rush, as it's all going off to be powder coated, painted etc. but i would like to know your favourite suppliers.

thanks in advance

themoudie

Re: SRX 400 refurb
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 11:34:35 AM »
Morning Steve,

"Simply bearings": Simply_bearings_link

Or, my local bearing factor, Dundee bearings, have always been able to obtain everything required.

Your 17" front and 18" rear is the standard set up for the 87-88 SRX 400cc twin shock, those wheels are fitted to Sally and there is nothing "odd" about the bearings, I will see if I have the numbers written down and post later.

Out on the Duke on Sunday for a canter out to Killin, very quiet and the roads all dry and salt free after a very driech Saturday. Silly old sod forgot the jumper under the jacket, so cooled to the core after the 80 odd miles. Home made broth with a wee nip sorted that out!  ;)

Refurbishing a BMW exhaust system and a PC50 that we have had since 1981, so a wee bit clarty! Sally needs her top end inspected and I have thought about installing a 400cc motor, easier to kick over, smoother and more mpg, for very little loss of "real world" performance, or is that cobblers?

Keep a troshin bor, time to dibble your earlies in, if you have them chitted!  ;)

Good health, Bill

themoudie

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 12:54:03 PM »
As promised Steve,

Front wheel bearings and seals:
Bearings: 6302-2RSH x 2
Seals:22 x 42 x 7 TC and 45 x 56 x 6 TC

Rear wheel:
Offside bearing: 6303-2RS C3
Not replaced others.

Sprocket carrier: 6304-2RS
Outer oil seal: 32 x 52 x 7

Tyres: Front: 100/80 x 17
N.B. Tried a 110/80 x 17 and it wallowed and rolled everywhere, whilst picking up on "Super single" wheel ruts and longitudinal planing grooves, enough to waggle the bars and give tank slappers!

Rear: 120/80 x 18

With Avon, I am not sure what is going to be the outcome of the take-over by Cooper Tyres (Goodyear)? TGA Racing at present have secured supplies of Avon racing compound tyres, but for how long I am not sure?

This is a link to the TGA Racing website: TGA_Molnar_racing_website

Good health, Bill

Steve H

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 01:27:49 PM »
+1 for SimplyBearings

Steve Lake

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023, 05:54:48 PM »
thanks Bill, top notch info as usual. you silly owd sod! dint yer owd gran tell you 'don't cast yer clout 'til May is out' ??
sarv yu roit yer daft bugger!

thanks SteveH on the ball as usual.

i will be reporting progress with this, as it will be the keeper and i'll be letting #1 go.

pip pip

Moto63

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 06:42:27 PM »
dint yer owd gran tell you 'don't cast yer clout 'til May is out' ??

As it happens Steve. My arl gran Did used to tell me “not to cast mi clout till May was out”
Din’t know for years what the hell she meant. Bet I was in my late 20’s before I found out that a “clout” was an item of clothing. A thick coat if I understand correctly 🤔
Cheers, Michael

Steve Lake

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 09:01:49 PM »
you're right Michael ... from Bodleian library..

The word clout is an Old English word for clothing with the saying serving as a reminder to not be quick in chucking or putting away winter woolies until May is out.

themoudie

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2023, 10:22:08 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

G'day

I tend to operate best below 20°C and when surveying on the hill used to rely on internal warmth, rather than multiple layers. Also, these days I find that a bandana/snood is worth at least a couple of layers. 50% of body heat is lost from the neck and napper areas!  :o The Norfolk flag one from Giraffe [Norfolk_flag_bandana] is cracking. All the other County designs are really cheery as well!

My neighbours, 66 year old twins, into Fergies, Internationals, plooin' and Land Rovers, never remove a cloot, or a bonnet, even when it exceeds 25°C!  :o  I just seek shelter or slip a shirt on, slap the sunscreen on and slop a wide brim hat on and make a ginger beer shandy. That old Aussie, slip, slap, slop advert!

My Grandmother, North Devon born, never used the word cloot, but I still have a wool jumper she knitted me and very warm it is too after 55 years.

How to get from bearings and seals, to sartorial elegance in one thread!  ::)  ;)

Good health, Bill

Steve Lake

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2023, 07:31:38 PM »
Gawd Bill, yoo dun arf run on bor ...

themoudie

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2023, 12:31:32 AM »
Ah! Roight lot a squit!

Steve Lake

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2023, 10:27:08 AM »
here's a little problem/opportunity for you Bill, several of my grey import SRX's have had the air valve in the top of the fork. well, my spare set of forks have that too ... erm... i should say did, i dropped one and sheared off the valve. now, the valve itself is available from yamaha japan special order long lead time 23X-23190-L0 (an eye watering £28 !!). the cap, also broken is no longer available 10M-23184-01.
my query is, are there any valves around from different applications that would fit ?
Over to you Bill me old beauty, i know you probably have at least half a dozen in your spares holding :-)

maybe a different valve, and modify the valve cap ? any other suggestions are more than welcome ...

pip pip

Ian

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2023, 01:17:01 PM »
Steve, have you tried doing away with the valves altogether?
1 SRX 1 C400X -2 thumpers

Steve Lake

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2023, 09:59:00 PM »
Steve, have you tried doing away with the valves altogether?
i agree, that is an option, but i like the quirky oddity of them  :)

Steve Lake

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2023, 06:27:39 AM »
just sent 2 pairs of fork stanchions away for rechroming, eta 5 weeks, £150/pair. will report back when i see the finished job.
also informed the items i sent for powder coating are ready, so that's another £150 ... at this rate i'll be spending more than the estimated grand ! ....
still got the painting job to pay for , i'm reckoning on £300, 2 new tyres £150 ish £100 odds n sods from yamaha dealers. seat recovering probably £150 (getting 2 done).
it's not going to be a cheap bike when it's all done.

Moto63

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2023, 06:58:02 AM »

it's not going to be a cheap bike when it's all done.
I don’t think there’s any such thing nowadays is there. New or second hand 🤦???