Author Topic: Something to think about?  (Read 430 times)

mthee

Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

CrazyFrog

Re: Something to think about?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2023, 07:09:00 PM »
I never managed to finish it as I found it tedious in the extreme. That probably says more about me than the author...
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

themoudie

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023, 11:20:59 PM »
Still have a copy kicking about from 1975 and haven't finished the 1st chapter!

I could be blunt (rude), or gentle (wishy waashy), instead I'll leave it supporting the bookcase! ;)

Namaste.

Good health, Bill

iansoady

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 10:06:00 AM »
I must differ again I'm afraid. Zen & TAOMM is in my view excellent especially the bits about attitudes to bike maintenance. I particularly like the little tale about Pirsig's conversation with a BMW owning pal of his. Apparently the brake lever was loose on the bars so wobbling about. Pirsig said "all you need is a shim". His mate, intrigued, said "Oh yes?". Pirsig picked up a beer can, fashioned a shim from it and fitted it between the clamp and the bar. Problem solved. But his mate was outraged. "How could you fix a bit of fine German engineering with a bit of scrap like that?" Pirsig pointed out that the beer can was ideal shim material, being thin, easily cut but strong enough - in fact, he suggested that said fine German engineers would reckon the can was perfect.

His mate was so outraged he made Pirsig remove the shim and, as the latter remarked, as far as he knew was still riding around with the lever flapping about.

I accept the philosophical bits can go on a bit - but I find the search for quality and what it means a fascinating topic. And the personaly episodes about Pirsig and his son's struggles with mental health can be heavy going. But easily skipped.

I have to say that the sequel - Leila - left me totally cold but then its context was sailing boats in which I have no interest whatever.

Zen, together with The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists by Rogbert Tressell would be contenders for my desert island book. In fact I'd ditch the bible for one of them.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

CrazyFrog

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2023, 04:19:27 PM »
Yes to The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists, a book as instrumental in social change as anything Dickens wrote. I read it on the recommendation of my Chemistry teacher when I was 15, though quite what it has to do with chemistry, I'm still not sure! As for desert island books, Les Miserables, War and Peace, Anna Karenin, David Copperfield, Wuthering Heights, Return Of The Native and Wind In The Willows which I've read at least once a year since I was 10. That'd do for starters, though I'd bead a regular resupply ship I think 🤣
2021 Honda CB125F

kevberlin

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2023, 04:48:10 PM »
Another vote for The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist…………one of my favourite books………you know the ones, that you can’t stop reading and look forward to every chapter
1983 Honda CB250RS
2023 BMW G310GS

Richard

• Always wear protection
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2023, 07:43:25 PM »
And another vote for The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists. Definitely on my Desert Islands list.

Pirsig is okay, he makes some good questions accessible.  Not a lot of good motorcycle writing about - not sure it lends itself to being written about, perhaps The Motorcycle Diaries.
Note to Self: Shiney side goes UP.

mthee

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2023, 11:36:23 PM »
Think how many bikes you could buy for a 1st edition (in dust wrapper)

https://johnatkinsonbooks.co.uk/book/robert-tressell-the-ragged-trousered-philanthropists-first-uk-edition-1914-in-the-rare-dust-wrapper/

Seeing as his book is based on my hometown,  Hastings, why not visit? I propose a TC pilgrimage,  which will involve many good roads for you and a mere falling out of bed for me  ;D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 12:52:32 AM by mthee »

Moto63

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2023, 08:11:53 AM »
So long as there’s free cups o tea and the odd slice o cake thrown in. Count me in 👍

CrazyFrog

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2023, 08:38:33 AM »
We won't have to do any building or decorating will we? 😳
2021 Honda CB125F

mthee

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2023, 05:59:41 PM »
With absolutely  no authority, I hereby grant you freedom of the town + cake  ;D