Author Topic: Anybody near Selkirk??  (Read 434 times)

iansoady

Anybody near Selkirk??
« on: February 19, 2023, 11:45:49 AM »
I'm looking at a job lot of Triumph parts but it's a bit far for me in sunny Redditch. Is there anybody in the area who could have a quick look at them for me? Usual inducements offered - virtual tea & biccies, pints etc. Not to mention my undying gratitude. And a ride on the project when it's finished!

This is the stuff: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1434583870689616

It would give me a head start on the Grumph project and I could flog what I don't need in the next Pugh auction.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

BrendanO

• Procrastinating in Embra
Re: Anybody near Selkirk??
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 11:05:44 PM »
Hi Ian

I’m sunny Edinburgh, maybe an hour away? Could maybe go…er…actually maybe not this week at all, but poss next Mon/Thu/Sat??

A bit worried about how qualified I am to judge 60s Trumpet quality, but can give it a go if u get no better offers?
XBR500,  FT500 (USA reg still but now starts/runs nicely!)
non-thumpers CX500EC, NTV650P

iansoady

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 09:32:01 AM »
Hi Brendan.

Many thanks for the offer. I know nowt about Triumphs either!

I got my brother in law to pop over yesterday - he's just in Melrose so an easy trip). He's an ex-rider but no mechanic as he would freely admit. He was able to give me a good assessment of the parts and seller who seems like a nice chap so I'll go for the bits. All I need is somewhere to put them.....
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

BrendanO

• Procrastinating in Embra
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2023, 01:32:28 PM »
Good news Ian (I hope!)

I had a later T140v for many years but never had the engine apart (it did get me across Europe a couple of t8mes!), and I briefly owned a late 50s Triton, a totally different fish kettle, now languishing in a friends damp garage, but really was only doing maintenance, wheel bearings, or the dreaded clutch.

Good luck with your project!
XBR500,  FT500 (USA reg still but now starts/runs nicely!)
non-thumpers CX500EC, NTV650P

iansoady

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2023, 03:16:58 PM »
Everything now arrived and snug in the garage. I felt sorry for the bloke bringing the Triumph bits - he was stuck on the M6 for about 3 hours waiting for a crash to be cleared.

The bits ase mixed - most usable, some scrap, some surplus to requirements so I need to sort out what's what. I have 3 cylinder barrels, 2 heads, 2 crankcases etc etc. Mostly 500cc rather than 350 so that's what I'll build.

The little Greeves is actually looking very nice but have to resist the urge to tear into it as I need to register it and apparently that's easier if it's a complete machine.

I used a bloke called Phil at Acceleration bike movers for the Greeves - nice chap and very reasonable £250 to fetch it across from Belfast. And both the sellers were very pleasant and honest people.

http://www.motorcycletransportservices.co.uk/
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....