Author Topic: Help! electrical problem!! XBR500  (Read 528 times)

SteveC#222

Help! electrical problem!! XBR500
« on: April 02, 2023, 12:14:30 PM »
Morning all,

I need a little help with my XBR. I am currently getting my trusty XBR ready for sale - For various reasons I've hardly used it in the last 2 years and I would really like to move it on to someone else who can enjoy it.

Now my problem is this - while it has been largely stood for the last 2 years it has developed an annoying electrical problem - I have started it from time to time, but sometimes it won't start - no spark. However if you play around with the wiring in the headlamp it will start and run well and start again at a later date, but then stop sparking again. I suspect either a broken wire/ bad connection or the ignition/ kill switch.

In order to illiminate the problem I want to basically 'hotwire it' - i.e. bypass the ignition/kill circuits to see if it will start. Can anyone tell me the best way to do it or any other suggestion to track down the issue.

Thanks

( alternatively if anyone wants to take it on as is for a sensible price for an otherwise really nice, VERY original XBR you can pm me.)
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

iansoady

Re: Help! electrical problem!! XBR500
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 03:31:13 PM »
Hi Steve.

The kill switch actually shorts out the ignition circuit when in the "stop" postion by connecting together the black/white and green (earth) wires. You could test it by disconnecting the black / white which should eliminate that. The ignition switch also shorts out those two wires. I suspect (although am not sure) that if you disconnect the black / white from the CDI then that would achieve both the above. However you will then have no way of stopping it!

The attached should explain.

Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

tommy

• xbr500 xbr 650 nx 650 gsx1100
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 07:01:28 PM »
hi steve
The first thing i would do there is take the headlight  off and check the wires in the shell theres not much room in there and wires get pulled apart , and broken tommy
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 07:04:36 PM by tommy »

SteveC#222

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2023, 08:17:46 PM »
I've got all the wires out today. I know the problem is somewhere on the front end of the loom it's just tracking it down.....I hate electrics!! >:( >:(
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

richardeblack

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2023, 09:24:08 AM »
Did you get it sorted? What was it?
Yes, I hate having the headlamp off the XBR. It always takes me ages to get all the spaghetti back in.
As the switch shorts the ignition to earth, I would doubt a bad connection? Perhaps check the kill switch?
Cheers
Richard