Author Topic: Noisy clutch GN250  (Read 462 times)

Itsme

Noisy clutch GN250
« on: January 19, 2023, 04:00:10 PM »
Hi Thumperteers

I have rebuilt the motor of the Mighty Midget as despite having Newzuki (Inazuma formerly suggested as Sid) I love the MM and intend to keep it now it can have an easier life. I honed the barrel and fitted new, Chinese, piston rings and correct exhaust valve stem seals and hey presto it doesn't smoke, up to now anyway.

Whilst in the motor I noticed the timing chain was on its limit of adjustment so took the clutch plates out to see if I could get the basket nut off to change the chain. I couldn't so have ordered a clutch locking tool and chain from Wemoto. As I'm in no rush to change the chain I put everything back together as the chain, though on the limit, will last quite a few miles yet. A job for later in the year when the weather is warmer.

However the clutch is now knocking a bit on tickover, although the knock quietens when the clutch is disengaged and disappears completely when a gear is engaged.

I won't bother looking at it until I do the chain, but any thoughts on what could be knocking gratefully received.

Cheers Ian

Moto63

Re: Noisy clutch GN250
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2023, 04:15:20 PM »
Hi Ian, maybe it’s one of those ducatuki clutches. They run semi semi dry, and clatter like billyoo 😉
Apart from that useless bit of information I’m sorry but can’t suggest anything else 😉
Name withheld to protect me from any Ducati owners out there 😁

spooky

• Sunny Dumfries
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2023, 04:19:22 PM »
Ear plugs should fix it !
Classic efi squadron blue, CG125, Terrot 125, CM200 sprinter,

mthee

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 12:17:55 AM »
🤣🤣🤣
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

Itsme

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 09:51:09 AM »
Hi all

I was hoping by now Rufus that my natural, ageing deafness would have stopped me worrying about bike noises, but it might have to be earplugs after all.

Michael I shouldn't worry about Ducati fans cos you're a plumber. I have just carried our new shower tray and glass screens up to the bathroom ready for the plumber to fit next week. F++k me you blokes don't need gym memberships do you? I think even Laverda Jota owners with the legendary Breganza Bullworker clutch hand would be frightened of you lot!

Spartacian the obvious wimp.

Moto63

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2023, 10:04:24 AM »

Michael I shouldn't worry about Ducati fans cos you're a plumber. I have just carried our new shower tray and glass screens up to the bathroom ready for the plumber to fit next week. F++k me you blokes don't need gym memberships do you? I think even Laverda Jota owners with the legendary Breganza Bullworker clutch hand would be frightened of you lot!

Spartacian the obvious wimp.
🤣🤣.. maybe that’s I manage to keep my stealth like physique in shape then and maybe that’s why I didn’t find the clutch on my jota to bad when I owned one. Mind you I was a LOT younger, approximately 28yrs younger to be exact 😢💪
Cheers.. Michael 💪

mthee

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2023, 11:46:13 AM »
Really enjoy a Spartacian sign-off  ;D
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

Moto63

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2023, 12:20:00 PM »
Really enjoy a Spartacian sign-off  ;D
Yes me too. Give me a giggle every time 👍😁

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2023, 12:31:58 AM »
theres a transmission damper in the clutch whereby the drive gear is riveted to the basket and has springs to damp the movement and give the gearbox an easier time. the springs weat and come loose rattling in the housing. it happened to a lot of suzukis of the era. you might be able to repair it, but to be honest, its probably cheaper to buy a decent used basket.
it should be easy to spot when you get it apart cos youll be able to rattle the basket about on its gear.