Author Topic: NC500?  (Read 1182 times)

themoudie

Re: NC500?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2023, 01:10:42 AM »
If you go to this Facebook "Reels" link below, you will see why those living on the route of the NC500 get VERY hacked off with some of those "doing" the run.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( This is the main street (A9) as it passes through Golspie in Sutherland.

Lamborghini_NC500_Golspie_Main_Street

Good health, Bill

CrazyFrog

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2023, 06:46:47 PM »
Such a shame that the NC500 has become a 'thing' with a name and is publicised in such a way that it seems to attract all the boy racers. After all, the roads have always been there, but the fact that it attracts people like this puts me off riding them again.
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

iansoady

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2023, 10:05:06 AM »
One of the benefits of being ancient is that I was able to ride these roads (and many others) before the instagram and tiktok generations latched on and ruined them. There are of course also disadvantages......
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

Moto63

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2023, 04:51:10 PM »
Well having just returned home yesterday teatime  (Sunday 28th) after doing 1200 miles in 4 fabulous days taking in the NC500 along the way I can definitely recommend it to anyone who get the opportunity to do it. Some fabulous roads, along with some stunning back drops. Met some lovely people and fortunately not to many camper vans. We took the advice that a couple of you chaps had given me and we managed to strap half a gallon of petrol on each bike. Luckily it was needed as technology saved the day with remote unmanned chip n pin petrol pumps in two separate locations. Anyway, as i say if you’re thinking about doing the NC500, DO IT. You won’t regret the decision.
However I dread to think what some of the passes would be like in the middle of the summer holidays.
We did meet one “idiot” on a single track  pass driving a full on camper van TOWING a small car behind it. Had we not been on motorcycles it would have been chaos. I always thought the idea of towing a small car behind your camper was so you could park the camper up then drive said small car around the local villages etc. Go figure 🤷???
Cheers, Michael

themoudie

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2023, 07:07:33 PM »
Aye Michael,

Pleased that you had a good run and that all went well with yourselves and those you met.

As for
We did meet one “idiot” on a single track  pass driving a full on camper van TOWING a small car behind it.

I have encountered those "rigs" stuck on the west coast of the Isle of Mull single track track and another that had to unhitch the Smart car and then try and manouvre the 6-wheeled behemoth around the Bealach na Ba hairpins, before walking back up to recover the wee Smart car. The bodywork of the behemoth looked a bit second-hand, having rubbed the barriers!  :-X There are signs that clearly state the road is ".... not advised for learner drivers, very large vehicles, or caravans and motorhomes after first mile."  ::)

Good health, Bill

Itsme

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2023, 08:05:18 AM »
Hi Bill

I know that sign well and it is impossible to miss that's for sure! My mate has a very large camper van (sorry 'motor home') and is always telling me how local people in small towns are not very friendly towards them. I'm not surprised really as the damn things block small roads and are a real pain when they park across three parking bays as they can't fit into a normal one.

Keep them to main roads and parking spots that are equipped for them and they are fine, although they don't interest me personally. Take them out of their natural environment and put in drivers who don't know what they are doing and they are a nightmare.

Ian

themoudie

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2023, 04:43:49 PM »
Aye Ian,

Take them out of their natural environment and put in drivers who don't know what they are doing and they are a nightmare.

My politically incorrect repost would be to repatriate the "mobile" home to the USA!  ;)

A VW "Splitty", or Thames van used to be comodious enough!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Good health, Bill

Moto63

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2023, 06:49:38 PM »
Aye Ian,

My politically incorrect repost would be to repatriate the "mobile" home to the USA!  ;)

A VW "Splitty", or Thames van used to be comodious enough!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Good health, Bill
I couldn’t have put it better myself Bill.
Oh and I “lived” in a 1972 circa VW camper for a full 12 months back in 1993 to 94 when I “lived the dream” and drove around Australia in one. So yes I know one can manage perfectly well in a smaller type camper
Cheers, Michael

themoudie

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2023, 09:39:48 PM »
G'day to you to Cobber, maybe a ute, with a slide-on camper could be included?  ;)

Bill  ;D

Itsme

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2023, 05:09:44 AM »
My older brother always wanted a Dormobile which I think is a Bedford? He didn't get one as responsibility and growing up hit him after university. Fortunately not a family trait!

Like you Ian I too remember riding my R80 BMW on the roads that now get labelled the NC500 (by the way Pete I agree that naming it has contributed to its downfall) and in those days I saw only BMWs and the occasional Harley once past Crianlarich. It was bliss.

Ian

Moto63

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2023, 06:57:06 AM »
Hi Ian, we had a Bedford dormobile when I was growing up as a young lad. Can’t honestly remember how long we had it but defo remember having some great times in it. It was two tone white and kind of pinky/red colour.
Happy daze indeedy 😁
Yes Bill I think we could allow the smaller Ute with a slide on camper, ONLY if they had a blue healer called shep along for the ride. Oh and so long as they had a good stash of SNAGS for the barbie maaate. 😜
Cheers, Michael (the surfer bum 🤟🏄???)