Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 2335 times)

mthee

Re: Newbie
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2022, 09:57:08 PM »
Very nice. Any time you fancy telling the crowded combo story, I'm  all ears! Love a good biking tale, me.
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

themoudie

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2022, 10:53:05 PM »
Aye AleXBR,

That is the images cracked, congratulations. :)

As for "I've also got a Ducati F2 replica ...."  ;D that'll be a wee ripper and a bonnie bit of kit, if it is half as tidy as the B31 and XBR. Would you please post a an image some time as I have a liking for the wee washing machine twins.  ;D

Good health, Bill

AleXBR

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2022, 11:25:02 PM »
Yes, the trip to Filey. You did ask.

Hard to believe my own story, but it's true.

Suppose it was the end of the '60's/early '70's.

We used to hire a caravan at 'Primrose Valley' for our annual hols.
This time we must have invited Aunt Betty, Uncle Jack and cousin Sue.
That leaves Dad, Mum, my brother and me = 7 of us, plus our Alsatian Tina!
No one had any money, so I suppose Dad thought we'd save some by all piling in together!
Life was a lot simpler back then. You just did things. Well, we did. It's what we called normal.

So the combo consisted of a plunger A1O hitched to a double adult Busmar sidecar.
And it was a heap.

Anyway, off we went, singing ''Blue Bells are blue, 'cos Blue Bells are blue''. As you did.

The dog was stuffed in the tiny foot well with me. Mum sat up front with my brother on her lap. Aunty Betty sat in back with Sue on her lap. Dad driving, Jack on pillion.
And a bottle of pop to go round.

Don't know if you've ever ridden in a sidecar. You're about a foot from the engine.
Yelling was the order of the day.
I was always the first to be sick.

Of course we used to take adventures such as these in our stride.
Yorkshire Grit I think it was called?

I do recall Betty encouraging us to lean to the inside of bends, to do what we could to help dad's endless fight with the handlebars.
He wore a flat cap but never reversed it. So when a gust of wind blew it off he'd simply turn the plot around to collect it.

It was during one of these retrievals that the chain went the first time.
When a chain goes bang, protesting at this ridiculous load, with a bit of 3 ply between you, then it's no surprise we all screamed together!
Still, it was a welcome opportunity to take a pee....along with the dog.

Dad always had a massive oily canvas bag full of tools in the boot (yes). Included were various odd lengths of chain; entirely worn out. So, like a good 'un, he rolled up his sleeves and got on with the job.
While we sat on the grass verge in some posh village staring back at the locals staring at us. The sun always seemed to shine back then.

In a Jiffy, as they used to say, we were on our way.

Until it happened again. But by then we were seasoned campaigners, full of the Brotherhood of Man'. After all, we were on HOLIDAY!

And so we were. LIVING THE LIFE.

We piled into a 4 berth caravan, spent our days on the beach with a boiled egg and a bottle of milk for lunch, while Dad and Jack took the dog onto the brig and collected winkles all day. We'd take them back, boil them, each be given a pin and had them for tea.

Being the oldest, 10? I was in charge of us kids while the adults went out for their piss-ups in the evenings. But not before I'd been instructed how to light the mantle in the gas lamp.

We were lucky and happy. Because they were HAPPY TIMES.
Lest you forget.

I of course retain copyright and am open to offers for the film rights too.

AleXBR

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2022, 11:33:38 PM »
Drool or what?

themoudie

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2022, 12:48:25 AM »
Aye Alex,

Nice bit of kit. I trust it goes for a canter regularly?  ;D

Here is a shot of my old bird. Part of the family and ridden regular.

Good health, Bill

Itsme

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2022, 07:42:43 AM »
Hi Alex

I can't match your total of bodies in an outfit, but my wife (ex now) and four children used to regularly accompany me on my own plunger A10 outfit and it didn't seem to mind at all.It seemed quite reliable from what I remember although it did split a rocker oil feed pipe once when I went to Cadwell Park for the VMCC racing. I wandered around the paddock complete with 6 year old son and 2 year old daughter until we found a nice man who soldered the pipe back into the union for us and we got home with no further issues. I look back on those days with some sense of awe; travelling around the country in a 1950s outfit with two small children, no mobile phone or breakdown cover just seemed normal. God looks after fools and simpletons both!

Nice B31 there with some nice touches, is the pushrod tower an aftermarket item or did you make it?

Have fun and hope we get to meet at a TC meeting somewhere next year for a natter.

Ian

AleXBR

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2022, 09:54:36 AM »
Hi Ian.

Aftermarket stuff for B31's? I n your dreams!

As I've received such a warm welcome here, I think you'll be hearing a lot more from me over winter.

All my life has revolved around bikes one way or another and it would probably take another lifetime to one finger type all about it.

Often I'll sit and roll my eyes listening to the younger generation describing what they see as essential to life and bikes.

My solution to bring photo's to you is a convoluted process.

Open a flickr account....upload a picture....then select same picture to download back to my device, you then have various resolutions to choose from....import that back here to a folder I named 'REDUCED'. That's where I then select that low resolution image that will fit this forums parameters.

I used to have several albums on flickr. Then they changed their hosting policy and started charging. So I spat my dummy out and deleted the lot! Oh, hum.

iansoady

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2022, 11:32:57 AM »
My childhood sidecar memories date back to the early 1950s. My dad had a pre-war Norton Model 19 - long stroke 600 OHV single. A real thumper. Every Christmas we used to travel from County Durham to Farnworth near Bolton to visit my mum's relatives. There would be dad on the bike, mum with me as a toddler and my sister who was/is 3 years younger in the sidecar. In those pre-motorway days the route took us over Blubberhouses Moor which at the best of times was - and probably still is - exposed and desolate.

I don't know how much I actually remember and how much I was later told but I do remember one journey where the road was so icy dad had to take to the grass verge and slide down a hill more or less sideways. Possibly on the same trip the worn-out chain kept jumping the sprockets and dad spend much of the trip doubled over the bike trying to refit it. He wasn't the world's most gifted mechanic and his toolkit was minimal at best. However, we all survived although looking back I'm rather surprised.

I must have learned little from these experiences as my first "proper" bike in the early 1970s was a Norton 16H with a Watsonian Avon sidecar - being extremely hard up at the time and my (t)rusty Ford Anglia having finally succumbed to terminal rot I thought the outfit might give cheaper transport.

So following dad's example I and my new wife set off the next Christmas on the combo from Brum where we lived to County Durham. For a variety of reasons we had only got as far as Derby by the time night was falling. The battery on the Norton was well past its best and as we headed north on the A1 the lights finally failed as the dynamo burnt out. We were close to a petrol station whose manager kindly let me park the bike round the back while we managed to catch a train north from the nearest station. Dad brought me down the next day in daylight to pick the bike up and I spent the Christmas period fixing it reasonably successfully.

A few days later we set off back home in freezing fog and by the time we got just past Derby (again) we were both frozen and stopped at a cafe to try to warm up. My wife was so cold, as the sidecar was not graced with a windscreen,  that she refused point-blank to get back in the chair. I fruitlessly explained that there was no alternative. It was only when a passing lorry driver intervened and manged to persuade her back in that we could continue. I think her abiding dislike of bikes was triggered that day although she willingly occupied the pillion on a variety of bikes for some years - even commenting how smooth the Norton Commando I later had was - "like riding on air". But since those days my motorcycling has been a solitary affair. And to be honest I prefer that. We share much but her love of gardening is matched by mine for motorbikes.

This is me on the Model 19 trying to reach the gear lever.

Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

iansoady

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2022, 11:34:42 AM »
Oh, by the way, I use a program called pixresizer to change image sizes. It's free and very easy to use.

https://pixresizer.en.softonic.com/
Ian.
1964 Norton Electra
1969 BSA-Suzuki
1992 Yamaha SRV250

AleXBR

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2022, 03:54:25 PM »
Ian, thanks for the pixresizer heads up.....def going into that.

Glad my contributions so far have been welcomed, and appreciate various people offering advice and help.
I already feel at home.

xbally

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2022, 04:54:36 PM »
Since we're talking of Ducatis on part of this thread I thought I would post up a pic of my '96 750 Monster which is a wonderful characterful bike when it's going well.
However it has reliability issues like they all seem to and is currently at my mate's in Solihull having had a new clutch, carb strip clean and rebuild several times, and presently awaits 2 ne ignition black boxes from Germany caught up in the Royal Mail industrial action. He has virtually had to re-wire most of the ignition system.
HONDA CB250RSA ROYAL ENFIELD CRUSADER

mthee

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2022, 05:00:14 PM »
Great stories, oh learned men of halcyon days!
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

kevberlin

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2022, 06:09:27 PM »
Oh, by the way, I use a program called pixresizer to change image sizes. It's free and very easy to use.

https://pixresizer.en.softonic.com/
What a fantastic picture and great personal memory.
Love this thread
1983 Honda CB250RS
2023 BMW G310GS
2005 Honda CBF250

AleXBR

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2022, 01:52:23 PM »
Hi y'all!

I'm a member of an American Honda GB500 forum and have sent a link so they can drop in here and see what you're up to.
Who knows, you may gain a wider audience and a few more members.

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/honda-gb500-thread.1170221/page-207

themoudie

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2022, 02:15:25 PM »
Thank you Alex.

Bill