Author Topic: My XBR project  (Read 6908 times)

iansoady

Re: My XBR project
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2022, 02:47:31 PM »
I've been working on the tank mounting. Following Matt's (IIRC) advice I've got a length of 8mm allthread that just fits behind the little tags in a hole in the frame above and forward of the standard mounting position. The CX500 tank is wider between the bobbins than the original, strangely enough, so I've made spacers from black nylon to sit on the studding and push the bobbins out. This is well nigh perfect at the front, giving about 10mm clearance from the forks on full lock.

I've also been thinking about the side panels and discovered that if I lift the back of the tank about 10mm the panels will slip underneath and look almost as if they're meant to be there. I need to find some way of locating their front mountings however.

Also picked up a set of aerosols from Spraywell in Bromsgrove, matched to a side panel. I've never used 2 stage paint like this before. What can go wrong. The pack also includes an allegedly petrol and UV resistant lacquer. All for £60 - a lot but much cheaper than a professional job. Will it look as good? No......

Pics of the front tank mount: you can see the original bobbin mounts.

Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

Moto63

« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2022, 03:33:21 PM »
Top job Ian... looking forward to seeing the tank and side panels in place 👍
Cheers, Michael

Moto63

« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2022, 03:39:04 PM »
Michael

How did you know that my shower base needs replacing!!

Spartacian the impractical but caring.
Ian.. you mentioned your shower base on another post. Reading someone’s mind is NOT a skill I’ve yet mastered 😜
Anyway ... I don’t want to hijack Ian’s thread so only XBR talk from here on in 😉

mthee

« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2022, 07:05:22 PM »
How nice of Mr Honda to provide you with CX tank mounting points!  8) If you could please find it in your heart to struggle a bit with some aspect of the project, I for one would greatly  appreciate  it!  ;D ;)
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

iansoady

« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2022, 10:02:01 AM »
Don't worry, wait till I start trying to paint the tank. The problem is that the original tank and rest of the paintwork aare to a very high standard which I don't think I'll be able to match.

In the great scheme of things this isn't a mega-project but as you say so far everything has fallen into place nicely.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

mthee

« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2022, 12:13:07 PM »
Ooh! Look what just dropped into my inbox - cautionary  tale;

iansoady

« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2022, 03:51:50 PM »
Yes........

Going to try the electrolysis tomorrow. The tank seams do look pretty sound but who know.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

mthee

« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2022, 07:20:10 PM »
Confession time - following your thread,  I took a peek on fleabay and look what jumped out at me for the W650. It's  a KH100 tank. So I'm with you in more than spirit! Anyway,  back to the singles...

Moto63

« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2022, 09:03:23 PM »
And being a KH.. it will have come with ready made tank badges too. Win. Win if you ask me. Looks good Matt. Y’ll just have to get used to going on shorter runs though eh 😉
Cheers, Michael

mthee

« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2022, 09:33:14 PM »
Just like the CB200 tank then, eh?!  ;D It being a twin,  I can mess it right up without anyone here knowing. Pressure is all on Ian!  ;D ;D ;D

Itsme

« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2022, 08:04:39 AM »
It certainly seems as though the CX tank is going to be a relatively straight forward fit which is good. I suppose the best way to get reasonable results with paint is, as you obviously know, good preparation and several thin coats rather than a thick one. Good luck and I hope it gives you the result you want.

Ian

iansoady

« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2022, 10:03:17 AM »
I can take the pressure, it's the hope that gets me (to misquote someone or other).

Further thought - dangerous - has led me to decide to change my order of srvice. I'll get the tank blasted first and do the tap position swap. When I've got 2 holes in the tank base it will give me a better idea of what the internals are like - they don't look too bad peering through the filler cap - and decide whether I need to go down the electrolysis route which TBH looks like a bit of a faff. The blasiting should also help to highlight any dodgy seams.

I couldn't get to sleep last night thinking of all the detail jobs to do......
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

Moto63

« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2022, 11:53:36 AM »
Try and go the vapour blasting route if possible Ian. Bit more delicate, so won’t do any unwanted damage. Well that’s the theory 🤦???
Cheers, Michael

iansoady

« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2022, 12:16:10 PM »
I'll put myself (or my tank at least) in the hands of Redditch shotblasters who I've used several times and they understand what's neeeeded. I will stress as gentle as possible although gentle isn't the word when you look inside their workshop!

I've been playing with various bits and bobs to see what things look like. I've cut the peak off the seat base and cut the foam back a bit - leaving plenty for the upholsterer.

The main problem is the side panels. Problem 1: I've lost the front mounting (rubber grommet) but think I can fit a plate there using P clips on the frame tubes. No mods to roiginal remember.

Perhaps a worse issue is the way they line up - or don't - with the base of the tank. My current thought is an infill plate behind the panels painted red to match, but a better solution would be to locate another pair of side panels and extend them to line up with the tank base.

Here it is:

Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

Moto63

« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2022, 12:26:33 PM »
Hi Ian. Seat looks better already, I’m sure your upholstery will be able to work his magic to make it look like it was designed that way 🤞
Regarding the side panels. You could always use the ones you’ve got to make a plug from then slightly redesign the shape and make new ones out of fibreglass. A little time consuming but again once done they’d look like Mr Honda designed them that way
Cheers, Michael