Technical > Project Progress

My XBR project

(1/47) > >>

iansoady:
Just to recap - I initially wanted a CB400SS grey import. But wiser counsel, mostly from this forum prevailed and I am now in possession of a beautiful XBR500. I'm not going to go overboard with this but intend to fit a CX500 tank which seems to be the easiest fit / best looking, and mod a spare XBR seat by getting rid of the raised front end and possbly other things. I foresee side panels may prove interesting.

To remind my faithful public what it looks like:

Under the bonnet - all in excellent condition.

VF400 bars arrived and look as if they will fit; arranged to buy another seat. All I want now is a tank......

Itsme:
That is absolutely lovely. Can't wait to see how it progresses.

Ian

iansoady:
Don't hold your breath Ian.....

xbally:
Well Ian, I've followed this thread and the associated ones and as a former owner of about 5 XBRs and about the same number of CB250s it's proved most interesting.
As I think I may have said before I do find the RS a bit underpowered and lacking in much torque and they can be snatchy at low revs. The only way to ride them is to use the revs and not pull too high a gear especially around town-others may disagree.
I've now SORNED 2 of my other bikes - my  750 Monster has never been fully reliable and its developed a misfire or two so that is being looked into as well as a slipping clutch so the RS is my main bike at the moment.
The best feature of the RS is as again I've said before it its light weight which the Monster also benefits from even though its a750 but there's not much to it with the trellis frame and it's not unlike a super thumper to ride.
The point of this diatribe is just to say in comparison to the RS, the XBR is much torquier and not too much more heavy.
I know you don't like the styling-hence your intentions to modify and I do understand that. They are a bit of an acquired taste-but I can remember while not exactly drooling over one in Bob Joyner's showroom when they came out in 1985 when my sole bike was an early 400/4, I couldn't afford a new XBR due to mortgage etc and it wasn't until about the early noughties IIRC that I got my first one.
So anyway I hope you find the XBR more suitable to your needs than the RS.

iansoady:
Many thanks Martin. It's partly because of help from you & others here that I've ended up with the XBR - although having said that the same could have been said for the CB250!

I have to say that in the metal the bike isn't actually as ugly as I'd thought. In any case I will not be making any irreversible changes - I know this will limit what I'm able to do but want to be able to revert to standard if my conversion foes pear-shaped.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version