Author Topic: New track  (Read 2861 times)

iansoady

Re: New track
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2022, 10:00:31 AM »
Thanks for looking Matt, my thoughts are towards the Goldie version. My local parts place (Classic Bike Shop in Redditch) do them and also stiock a mute that fits in the end. But I'm nowhere near that stage yet.

Ian- yes I agree and TBH this is the best coindition bike I've ever had since my 1 year old Triumph Tiger back in 2005. I'll be scared to ride it in case I get it dirty! I have to admit that I'm also a low mileage rider these days so I hope you'll still speak to me.........
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

themoudie

« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2022, 10:34:51 AM »
Morning Ian,

.... my thoughts are towards the Goldie version. My local parts place (Classic Bike Shop in Redditch) do them and also stiock a mute that fits in the end. But I'm nowhere near that stage yet.
I realise you aren't there, yet, but you may find that the baffling inside strangles the engine!  :( Have a good look inside. An Armours pattern Goldie exhaust that I purchased is so restrictive that the Ducati 450 wouldn't rev above 5,000rpm and the body of the exhaust blued in the area before the baffle! :( It now resides on a shelf in the workshop and has been used as a nesting box by a blue tit family.  ;D

I have dimensional sketches of the internals of a Dunstall and a Motad design "silencer" for single cylinder engines, if you fancy constructing your own.  ;)

Good health, Bill

iansoady

« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2022, 12:38:20 PM »
I'll have a look at the silencer but from the description is essentially a straight through design with an "Internally perforated off-set core as to the original spefication" according to the website.......

The Norton peashooter says "Internally it has a tubular serrated type straight through noise absorbent baffle to give a real nice quality note."

They're only down the road from me so I can look at what they've got.

Making one is I'm afraid beyond me.

I've just checked the tappet clearances which look fine. It did sound a bit tappety but maybe that will go away when it's warm?
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

mthee

« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2022, 01:23:05 PM »
Thanks for  I'll be scared to ride it in case I get it dirty!

Careful, Ian, it seems your thinking may have been contaminated  by the seller and his hallway display only Trumpet! ;D
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

iansoady

« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2022, 01:46:53 PM »
<heavy sarcasm mode>You've got me sussed... Why ride 'em when you can polish 'em?</heavy sarcasm mode>

Don't worry by the time I've finished it'll be as scruffy as my bikes always are. VF400 bars arrived today and look as if they'll fit OK but expect I'll have to make a new choke cable at least.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

mthee

« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2022, 02:03:09 PM »
Scruffy? I was born scruffy and my bikes end up an extension of me, so...
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

iansoady

« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2022, 02:42:36 PM »
I've decided to start a new thread in the Projects section......
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

Itsme

« Reply #97 on: November 03, 2022, 03:35:49 PM »
My wife and I first met when I was working on a local city farm and she came from a college to teach some of our volunteers. She said it was the string holding up my trousers and my generally unkempt appearance that attracted her to me. Pretty much how I choose my bikes!

No worries Ian I'll talk to anyone, especially if they have an XBR500 or other thumper.

Ian