Author Topic: Exhaust super hot  (Read 613 times)

TimB

Exhaust super hot
« on: October 14, 2022, 08:40:11 PM »

Hi All
my little thumper the Meteor 350 with new exhaust has been since I fitted my own pipe has been popping. After taking it to the shop it was confirmed as the oxygen sensor was duff.  It's been like that for a few months and I kept looking at replacement but since I do not ride it that much I have been putting it off.

I had to move it the other day and it started fine, Then to move it again it failed to start. Kept trying and gave up. Charged the battery and tried again. Looked at the plug and it was black. Cleaned it and eventually got it started. Bang pop and loads of revving and back fires and...  Hmm then the exhaust  started to smoke and get really hot. Quick I shut the bike down and ranaway.

Talking to a friend he said the exhaust was coated soot and now soaked in fuel and then caught alight, I think he is right but would appreciate your thoughts. Also what to do? Remove it and stick a blw lamp in there. I flexible wire brush??? What?

Thoughts appreciated.

Tim

themoudie

Re: Exhaust super hot
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2022, 11:37:13 PM »
Aye TimB,

If your oxygen sensor is duff, the ECU cannot manage the injection of the correct amount of fuel into the cylinder! Hence the black sooty exhaust, excess fuel, explosions from unburnt fuel igniting in a hot exhaust and difficulty in starting.

Cure? Buy a new oxygen sensor to enable the rest of the standard ECU/ignition/fuel injection system to work.

If you wish to modify the exhaust system and run without an oxygen sensor, then you are going to have to use an alternative to the current injection system. More dosh!  ::)

There is no need to give your exhaust a "DYNOROD" treatment, that archaic practise comes from the days of engine oil/petrol, 2 stroke premix and pre Suzuki and Yamaha oil injection systems of the late 1960's, early '70's.

Get the oxygen sensor sorted out and then start using the bike. "Decorative" bikes slowly corrode away.  :( :(  So far this week I have put over 250 miles under the wheels of the '74 Ducati 450 and over 140 miles under the Yamaha SRX600 mono. They need to be used!  ;)

Good health, Bill

Itsme

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2022, 05:19:31 AM »
Hi Tim

I would echo what Bill said about regular use. My Suzuki GN250 was off the road the last couple of weeks waiting for a new exhaust to arrive so I borrowed my friend Jill's Lexmoto 125 to keep mobile. She rarely rides the bike and although it started ok the first couple of journeys were awful as everything was tight and not riding freely.

When I finished fitting my new exhaust the Mighty Midget (Suzuki) which is normally an instant starter took an age to get going. Bikes don't like to be idle.

One other thought; when I had an Enfield 500 efi I fitted a Hitchcocks oxygen sensor eliminator kit which was easy, cheap and effective. I don't know if they do one for the Meteor but if they do it is worth trying as I bet it would be cheaper than a new sensor.

Good luck and hope you sort it soon.

Ian

TimB

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2022, 06:52:14 AM »

Just to be clear, when I built the exhaust I installed the oxygen sensor. It was a pain to find the right thread but it is in there.

I have ordered a new sensor and will run the bike with the old exhaust.