Author Topic: Safety first?  (Read 491 times)

mthee

Safety first?
« on: June 21, 2022, 10:40:16 AM »
New lid year, means the old head getting scratched vigorously, as I wonder whether to go back to the full face. I thought I'd get more carefree about safety as I got older, but in fact, I seem to be getting more and more cautious. When Tommy had his hands mangled and was good enough to post up what he'd had to endure, followed by recommendations to get gloves with palm sliders, I was very glad I bought a pair when I had an off, going right on a mini roundabout, soon after.
Thing is, Michael had posted his ordeal in which his life was saved by his chinbar, but I swapped to an open face. Doesn't make any sense!
Ho, hum, back to the reviews and arguing in my head about my head 🤪

Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

Moto63

Re: Safety first?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 11:15:25 AM »
Matt. To try and put things in to a bit of context (hopefully 🤞) the police officer who dealt with my accident hit the nail on the head (see what I did there 🤦???) He asked me at the time how long I’d been riding a motorbike at the time of my accident. 36years unbroken  I said. He then asked how many accidents I’d had in that time. One low side spill after two years of riding I said. To which he replied, “it’s all odds, the odds 99% of the time the odds are stacked in your favour.” He said it had taken me 36 years to have a very serious accident, if it took me another 36yrs I’d be 88 yrs old.
Now I’m definitely not saying go out in a pair of shorts n a T shirt, oh no. However I wouldn’t hesitate to put an open face helmet on, it would just have to be a decent quality open face helmet. Not some £30 special off fleabay. Because to quote the neuro surgeon I was under at the time “the £500 aria helmet without doubt saved your life and ultimately saved you from a much more serious brain injury”
I own a davida open face helmet which I do wear from time to time.
I hope this helps you in some sort of capacity and helps you make a decision on your new skid lid.
Keep me posted👍
Cheers, Michael

mthee

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 06:48:14 PM »
Full face AND open face. You've  just doubled the number of reviews I feel obliged to read. Maybe I should  stick to those with good SHARP scores? Cheers, Michael, I guess when my time's  up, I'll  not even know about it !
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

Moto63

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 08:57:25 PM »
To be honest Matt I think so long as you buy something of decent quality, wether it be a leather jacket, gloves, boots or helmet I don’t think you can go far wrong nowadays. Take the pair of motorcycle denim jeans I have, they’re made by triumph (or at least made for triumph) but the quality is brilliant. Unlike my mates pair, no comparison with the feel of the material, the stitching etc. Mine were twice the cost but I can probably slide twice as far in them without them falling apart. Triumph versus fleabay..... I know which I’d choose (clearly I did🤦???)

Itsme

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 07:42:31 AM »
Hi

I use an open face helmet because I find it easier with my glasses, there's none of that poking the side arms into my eye when I try to put them through my visit aperture. However I don't like the number of flying things that hit me in the face at this time of year so do sometimes, on longer rides, use my full face helmet just for the protection afforded by the visor.

I have found over the years that my best safety is cowardice, I don't ride fast or make silly overtakes. This hasn't made me immune from accidents, but it has drastically altered the number compared to braver friends.

Ke sera sera as Doris Day so nicely put it.

Spartacian

Moto63

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2022, 10:02:30 AM »
And let’s face it anything that Doris Day did was put very nicely, especially when wearing that there cowgirl outfit in calamity Jane. 🥰

iansoady

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2022, 03:30:35 PM »
I tend to agree about cowardice or as some might call it defensive riding.... I have tried full face lids but feel so claustrophobic I couldn't bear them. And I'm far from convinced that spending a fortune gets you better protection - to my mind the important thing is that it's comfortable and fits well. The tests applied to helmets would probably kill you anyway if your head was inside....

I use a nitro open face which was cheap (£50-ish) but meets my own criteria.

As for Michael's neuro surgeon I'd happily take his advice on neurological issues. But I would guess his knowledge of which helmet would protect you best is no more than mine. Which isn't great.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....