Author Topic: Ducati 450 clutch spring pillar lets go!  (Read 984 times)

themoudie

Ducati 450 clutch spring pillar lets go!
« on: June 10, 2022, 01:35:46 AM »
Last weekend was supposed to be relaxing, with a wee run into the Angus Glens. However, the Duke had other ideas and one of the clutch spring pillars let go at 60mph+!  ::) ::) Thankfully, the debris were ejected through a hole in the primary case, rather than tangling, with the helical primary gears.  I am just pleased that the fairies were looking after me. Thank you.

Good health, Bill

Itsme

Re: Ducati 450 clutch spring pillar lets go!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022, 05:57:44 AM »
Hi Bill

Sorry to see the damage done by the errant clutch pillar. Any idea why it let go? Will you be able to weld up the cover or is it going to have to be a replacement? Can you get a replacement and of course a new clutch basket?

Glad it didn't cause an accident though.

Spartacian

Moto63

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 07:08:35 AM »
Yes, being on the receiving end of an engine that fully went off like a grenade. (Which caused my accident 😥) I too am more than glad to hear it wasn’t more serious. Bad news all the same though obviously. As Ian has asked Bill, can you still get replacement parts for the duke?
Best of luck with it 🤞
Michael

themoudie

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 03:23:30 PM »
With over 85,000 miles under the wheels and a propensity for this to happen on the 450, I suspect my luck ran out.  ::)  The design was originaly for a 175cc and the 450 puts out a fair bit more torque than they do. It is most common in race machines using 450 clutch springs.

Replacement parts are available for some items, some new, some secondhand. But, things like the clutch spring cups are unobtainium and a bu**er to get made. They are normally pressed from mild steel, but nobody has the tooling and it's expensive to tool up, whilst the Manx Norton ones (don't fit!) and in stainless (so that they don't rust and an "eyesore" on the exposed clutch) are now £10.50 each + VAT +P&P and I need 6 of them! ::) I have looked for alternatives, including speedway ones, but so far nothing has appeared.

I have managed to source a new cover, inspection plate, springs, retaining screws etc and now have to modify the clutch hub to a race spec., with homemade pillars and a different fixing method. The problem is the reduction in size of the pillars to 5mm from 8mm as they pass through the drum and are rivetted over at the back. the pillars snap at the edge of the reduction in diameter. On mine you can see that it appears that the factory nicked the pillar and then moved on a bit before cutting to length, hence the weakness. Some people put a TIG weld on them, but that can create cracking in the hub due to heat stresses in the material.

A new full spec race clutch hub is a work of art, but at £360 + VAT + P&P a bit steep! :o

So, the SRX Mono will put some more miles under the wheels and the spanners will be twiddled some more. As SteveL and I would say "Yew keep a troshin bor!".

Good health, Bill
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 11:20:49 PM by themoudie »

mthee

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2022, 10:12:37 PM »
Relieved and gutted in equal measure! Thank goodness it doesn't mean you'll  be off the road.
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

Itsme

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2022, 01:16:35 PM »
Hi Bill

This is probably a completely stupid thing to say but I have a complete clutch from a Honda CBF500 which I could send you to see if there is any way it could be modified/canabilised to help with repairs. As I say probably stupid but if you fancy a go PM me an address and I will get it up to you.

Spartacian

themoudie

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2022, 10:51:32 PM »
Aye Spartacian,

Thank you for your generous offer.

However, I have sourced all the bits that will require replacing, either as NOS or used items in servicable condition. Now trying to negotiate machining of the clutch hub!

Today, the timing chest came apart and the oil pump stripped and cleaned to reveal unmarked teeth and a swill of the sump using aerosol brake cleaner and sweep with a flexi magnet, revealed no flakes/lumps of either steel or aluminium. So, the pump is rebuilt, installed and the timing chest installed and the sump drain/oil strainer back in place.

The loons were making good time to get to Inversneckie by 13:30! ::) No doubt they will have tales of rain and cross winds, it has been gusting 40 mph+ up here today, with frequent heavy rain.

Slainte, Bill
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 09:23:37 AM by themoudie »

Ian

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2022, 06:36:53 AM »
Good morning Bill, it's a real pity that we aren't a bit closer as I would gladly machine your clutch hub. Let me know if you need anything that I can make
Regards
Ian 👍🏍?
1 SRX 1 C400X -2 thumpers

themoudie

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2022, 09:26:42 AM »
Good morning Ian,

Thank you for your kind offer.

Let me see what I unearth up here first.

Good health, Bill

Itsme

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2022, 06:53:12 AM »
Hi Bill

Glad you are succeeding with the rebuilding of the Ducati, such a lovely bike. If there is anything you need let me know, not that I am a patch on your expertise.

Spartacian

Moto63

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2022, 07:00:55 AM »
, not that I am a patch on your expertise.

Spartacian
If it’s any consolation, I don’t think many of us are Ian.
BILL for PM I say ?😉

themoudie

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2022, 10:20:03 PM »
 :-[  :-[  :-[  :-[  :-[

Thank you, but "not that I am a patch on your expertise." is over egging my abilities. I just seem able to break 'em and then have to get them fixed!  :-[

Maybe I should purchase a new bike, rather than 30 plus year old machines that others have become fed up with!  :-\

A bit more progress today, but it may take until the end of next week to see any results. Now, shall I take the top end off Sally, SRX600 twinshock and have 3 dismantled at once?  ::)

Good health, Bill

Itsme

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2022, 09:34:31 AM »
Hi Bill

You're a modest man and I like that (at least Michael and I are impressed). In one sense though we are equals; questioning why we insist on riding bikes that should have retired years ago! I am at the moment replacing the valve stem oil seals on the Mighty Midget in an effort to get the oil usage at least affordable. Up to now I have discovered that my exhaust is a patchwork of lace around the join between the two pipes and the hanger bracket is barely holding on due to rusting through. I also got a bit worried when I couldn't get any valve clearance on either valve at TDC on compression, fearing the valve seats had recessed. Now I have the head off they look ok so it is a mystery to be investigated when I reassemble the engine.

I can't say I am actually enjoying this latest bout of spanner twirling, but will appreciate knowing that all is well when I'm done. I suppose that is some part of the answer to the why we do it question; the sense of satisfaction is huge when something old and a bit decrepit comes back to life and you are the one who did it. I always maintained that God makes us rich or clever. Rich enough to take it to the shop or clever enough to mend it yourself. Just wish I could try the other side of the coin for a while!

Spartacian