Author Topic: RBLR 1000 mile ride  (Read 572 times)

Itsme

RBLR 1000 mile ride
« on: June 10, 2022, 06:08:40 AM »
Hi everybody

I'm off to Squire's Cafe in Sherburn in Elmet today for an overnight camp so that I can wave my son-in-law and his mate off at 5.30 tomorrow morning for the Royal British Legion Riders 1000 mile ride. This is an Iron Butt UK ride, which Martyn and Mark did last year, run by RBLR as a charity fund raiser. They are taking the North Anti-clockwise route so will be going up the East coast to Thurso then across and back down the West coast.

Last year they did the run in just over 18 hours and are aiming for a similar time this year. Martyn is on his Kawasaki Z1000SX and his mate is on a Ducati Multi-strada 1200 so they aren't lacking power! I attempted the ride a few years ago on my Kawasaki ER5 but my shoulder gave up at Fort William ( I was going North clockwise) and I had to stop overnight in a hotel.

It should be a good event with a couple of hundred riders booked to start the ride.

Spartacian

Moto63

Re: RBLR 1000 mile ride
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022, 07:03:36 AM »
Morning Ian, sounds cool, all in a good cause too. Best of luck to them both 👍👍
Cheers, Michael

Itsme

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 08:16:25 AM »
Thanks Michael I will pass on your good wishes to them and report back on Sunday when they will have finished.

Spartacian

themoudie

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 02:53:01 PM »
Aye Spartacian,

Website is down, so no idea of where the routes are to give a bit of support?

But at an average speed of 55.5555555 mph recuring, they were way quicker than I suspect I would want to be. Now where did that PC50 go?  ;D

Go safe, finishing is all important!

Good health, Bill

CrazyFrog

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2022, 06:35:41 PM »
Sounds like fun, or at least it would have done 20 years ago! Good luck to them both 👍
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

mthee

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2022, 10:53:10 PM »
Good luck to your lads. Sounds like a valiant effort on the ER5. I'm just getting through a torn muscle on a rotator cuff, so you have my empathy. Is your shoulder now fully recovered?
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

Itsme

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2022, 01:11:37 PM »
Hi Everyone

Thank you for the good wishes. Martyn and Mark set off from Squire's cafe in group 4 this morning at 5.30am (I was there waving them off like a proud parent even though Mark is just a friend of Martyn's) and by 1.30pm were in Inverness so going well.

My shoulder is sadly permanently damaged from weightlifting injuries years ago. I have a major tear of the supraspinatus which is too old to repair so I just live with it. I think it just shows I have hung around the planet a long time and never been afraid to use my body. No point in returning it in pristine condition!

Thanks again for the support for my boys and I will let you know how they get on.

Spartacian

Itsme

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2022, 06:50:23 AM »
Hi all

Martyn and Mark finished safe and sound in a little under 21 hours after experiencing bad weather through most of the north af Scotland. They were fit and well at the finish, but said having now done the ride twice they probably won't do it again next year. We'll see!

Thanks to you all for the interest shown and the good wishes which they appreciated.

Real credit should however go to the two blokes who completed the ride on Honda Monkey bikes!! Doesn't bear thinking about.

Spartacian

Moto63

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2022, 06:58:42 AM »
Morning Ian. Great news your son and his mate made it back safe n sound. 21 hours in the saddle! Oo laa laa. A few years ago I’d have loved the thought of doing something similar, now, I’m not so sure.
A big well to them both.....an even bigger well done to the two fellas that did it on monkey bikes. Brilliant
How many hours did it take them?
Cheers, Michael

Itsme

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2022, 02:03:50 PM »
Hi Michael

I will ask Martyn how long they took when I see him. Bloody good effort from them though.

Spartacian