Author Topic: Floating Disc - how much float!?  (Read 1787 times)

guest18

Floating Disc - how much float!?
« on: August 09, 2006, 10:39:44 AM »
As some of you know the front disc on my MuZ is a floating one, the only thing is the amount of float is starting to concern me :(
It seems to me to have excessive float, ie the best part of a mill in every direction!
Does anyone have a spec for one of these? Should I be concerned about that much movement?

Oh and does anyone have a good contact/price for a replacement if it turns out to be potentially lethal... :-/

peterj

Re: Floating Disc - how much float!?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 03:39:34 PM »
I remember reading a road test on the TT course of F1? 750 Ducati with the first generation Brembo floating discs mid 80's. They reconed the float was enough to rattle around and knock the pistons back into the caliper so that you had nothing at all for the first pump of the brakes. Must have been fun in the IOM.

I've never owned anything sophisticated enough to have floating discs, but I'd guess that 1mm isn't at all excessive sideways, if however there is radial play as well, I think you need to check further.

Nathan

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 07:32:27 PM »
MM my srx disk doesnt have any play...is that bad????
(I guess no different to standard disks)

Nathan

guest7

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 03:46:44 PM »
They reconed the float was enough to rattle around and knock the pistons back into the caliper so that you had nothing at all for the first pump of the brakes. Must have been fun in the IOM.

Just another one of the reasons why the big proddy bikes earned such a bad rep on teh island in the late 80s. Imagine the moment when you discover no brakes on your CBR1000... brrrrrr, brings a shiver to the spine.

GC

guest27

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 05:04:49 PM »
Remember reading that - the discs pushing back - if I remember it was discovered at the end of a straight - luck man did not crash, mind may mean he was braking too early.  Was in a mag that is probably still int he shed.

The pads fell out of the Triton once - no brakes.. NO BRAKES  Eeeeeeg - then the screeeeeeeccccchhh as the pistons bit on the disk.
R

guest18

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 02:16:36 PM »
I reckon if there is enough float to knock pads back then the engneer who designed them needs taking round the back and given a damn good kicking!!

I've compared it with lots of other discs recently (gets you funny looks when you say "mind if I have a look at your discs"? then start waggling peoples brakes!) and generally the float is so minimal that you can barely feel any movement.

Pat had a go on the Mastiff at the rally and will attest to the efficiency of my front brake ( :) ) but I had, as mentioned before, about 1mm both radially and side to side. Not good I've decided so I did the necessary and bought a replacement... £84.85 plus vat :o **** me that hurt every tightwad bone in my body! Basically a hair under £100 delivered to my door :(

Having said that, the new one has almost no float and *doesn't* rattle like castanets... so I'm quite sure it's damn sight safer (and a lot less annoying over cobbles etc).
Also I have to put a good word in for "Phill" the MuZ spares bloke at BSA Regal in Southampton. He seems to know his stuff and everything I've ordered has been the right part in double quick time. I no longer use a dealer to buy standard bits for the Mastiff...

Ho hum, sorted now :)

andy230

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 10:22:27 PM »
Hey smudge-

Aye, agreed about Phil @ BSA.  He is a top bloke- VERY patient, very good prices and superfast (and accaisionally free) delivery.  If only everything in life....

a