Author Topic: MOT failure dimming light  (Read 1395 times)

Itsme

Re: MOT failure dimming light
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2022, 04:08:33 PM »
Thanks Ian much appreciated.

Spartacian

spooky

• Sunny Dumfries
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2022, 04:18:02 PM »
I would try a different mot station... :-\
Classic efi squadron blue, CG125, Terrot 125, CM200 sprinter,

iansoady

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2022, 04:20:18 PM »
No problem - on its way. You'll see when you get it that it has input and oputput + and -, and output + and -. The two negatives are connected together so you don't need to do anything with the output one. There is a little brass screwhead sticking out of a blue component which is a very fine adjustment - if I remember correctly it starts at around 16 volts and drops as you turn it clockwise. It seems fairly insensitive to the input voltage. I've set the output of mine to 7 volts (6 volt system).
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

Itsme

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2022, 02:06:32 AM »
Thanks Ian I will let you know how I go on.

Spartacian

P.S. Rufus that comes next!

Itsme

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2022, 08:49:53 AM »
Hi Ian

Just to let you know the booster arrived this morning thank you so I will keep you informed.

Spartacian

Moto63

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2022, 10:28:23 AM »

P.S. Rufus that comes next!
I assume my suggestion is last on the list Ian 🤣😉
Best o luck with the booster thingy 🤞🤞
Cheers, Michael

mthee

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2022, 12:09:00 PM »
Agree with you there, spooky.The last time I took the XBR in for MoT, I forgot the nyloc nut on the brake torque arm. The tester put one on for me and she passed.
Years ago and I forget the bike, I got failed on loose head bearings. I didn't agree, but said nothing, took it home and back for a retest having done nothing. Pass.
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

Itsme

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2022, 05:03:36 PM »
Hi Michael

A full rewire is the only answer and I know it, but right now I am sick of working on this bike so won't give it that much time and attention. If I can get a year's grace by putting 12 months MOT on it somewhere else then I might get my enthusiasm back enough to do the job.

It does seem the variable quality of MOT testers leads to some confusion as to what is and isn't ok. I once had a bike fail so took it somewhere else and it passed, how is that a good system? Seems to me it is better to know you are getting a dodgy MOT than think you are going to somewhere reputable and get a dodgy one anyway. Back in the 80s we all used to use a certain garage for MOTs as the joke was if you sent them a photo of your bike and a cheque you would get an MOT by return of post and it was nearly true.

Spartacian

Moto63

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2022, 05:16:19 PM »
Yes, think we’ve all known one of those MOT testers before. We had one (or two 😁) in Bradford back in the 80’s. The one I used to go to used simply sit on your bike wheel it forward, pull on the brake. If it stopped. It passed 🤦???🤦???🤣.... oh those weren’t daze

xbally

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2022, 06:02:45 PM »
In the late 90's early noughties-we used to ride about 20 miles to a garage in Cleobury Mortimer (Shrops) where the tester would send you off to the local tea room and we never failed to collect our pass certificate 30 minutes later. We were forced to do this when the local bike shop in Stourbridge -where you would always get a pass-closed down.
HONDA CB250RSA ROYAL ENFIELD CONTINENTAL GT535

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2022, 04:06:29 PM »
earth the lights directly onto the frame and check the earth from the battery to the frame, you can leave the existing earths in place, but clearly theres some resistance in the wiring connections of the loom. you could try and re make all the loom earths to the various points on the frame, but id just add an additional earth direct to the chassis as it will let you get it mot'd quicker.

Itsme

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2022, 05:57:48 PM »
Thanks John

I have re-made the earths from the lights to the frame already but I think I will move the main earth from the battery as it goes to the engine case on the right hand side so could be less efficient that it needs to be. I will find a good point on the frame for it I think.

Spartacian