Author Topic: Old photo and OT  (Read 1724 times)

Steve H

Re: Old photo and OT
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2022, 11:43:18 AM »
Hi Ian

Were any of those trials Midlands Classic Club trials? People may not know that our paths crossed many years ago when we rode a couple of MCC trials at the same time. I do remember you being on a Royal Enfield and I was always on my home-brewed CZ 250 single. I was very definitely not a competitive rider!

Loving the old piccies chaps, memories of a better time.

Spartacian

Hi Ian.

The photos were taken at various rounds of the pre-65 championship trials like the Harry Perry and the Wyegate, where I don't think I ever managed to come higher than last - on the occasions when I completed the course. They were great events but they attracted serious riders - Sammy Miller turned up for some - so the standard was very high.

I remember the MCC colonial trials well - the best bit was usually lunch in the pub. I've dug out some of the results sheets and names other than yours & mine are Roger Gagg on his 750 Triumph outfit, Roy Robinson on a unit Triumph twin which was very standard, Mick Worthy on his Pink Panther, Paul Asher on a side valve Norton etc. I remember once you had a puncture and we all "assisted" you to fix it...

Great days.

I used to be regular at the Wyegate and other rounds when Sammy Miller was sponsor. Couldn't afford a proper pre65 so I ran a trail bike (DT175MX)

themoudie

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2022, 11:59:58 AM »
Ian,
The wellies came in handy for commuting in later years - together with a Helly Hansen bib and brace I could have them off & sat at my desk in seconds.

I thought everybody wore that type of clothing!  ;)  In my job as a forester/site/soil surveyor, wellies and a pair of mountaineering salopettes was my everyday wear for weeks on end, the three items being made as one by the inner tube bands at the ankles.

I just had the vision of Billy Connolly in his incontinence trousers sketch!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Good health, Bill

spooky

• Sunny Dumfries
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2022, 02:52:43 PM »
Just been out to look for my NCB rubber `trials` boots, still got them but couldn`t find them, I was going to take a photo so the youngsters on here would understand what us oldies are on about !!   I did find my Stihl chainsaw wellies though, been looking for them for ages.
Classic efi squadron blue, CG125, Terrot 125, CM200 sprinter,

Itsme

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2022, 07:08:03 AM »
I do smile to myself when I see modern motorcyclists dressed up in all their expensive, padded, brightly coloured gear, which they can't pop to the shops without. My first outfit for riding a bike was my step-dad's old pit boots, my jeans and a sweatshirt, a donkey jacket and a four quid Centurion open-face helmet. I did upgrade to Dunlop wellies and a Belstaff after about a year, but still don't wear much more now. Para boots have replaced the wellies, a Richa rain jacket over an old snug-pak coat and a Spada open-face helmet are my usual garments of choice.

I find it interesting just how much bike clothes cost now. When I bought my Belstaff it can't have been too expensive as I bought it on an apprentice's pay, which was not enormous. Now the damn things cost hundreds of pounds so the wax jacket I use in summer is a cheap knock-off. As for the cost of helmets! I know my head is precious but some of them really take the mickey.

I don't wish to come across as an 'in my day' moaner but I do feel new motorcyclists now are sold the idea that unless they spend big on a whole outfit to go with the style of their bike they are somehow not real motorcyclists. A friend of my wife has recently taken up biking and she asked me about my thoughts on heated gloves. I said that I thought the electrical system on her Lexmoto may be a bit marginal for plug-ins so she could either buy ones with a separate battery or learn to suffer as she is riding a bike in England not Florida. Jaded me? Never.

Spartacian.

kevberlin

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2022, 08:01:14 AM »
I do smile to myself when I see modern motorcyclists dressed up in all their expensive, padded, brightly coloured gear, which they can't pop to the shops without. My first outfit for riding a bike was my step-dad's old pit boots, my jeans and a sweatshirt, a donkey jacket and a four quid Centurion open-face helmet. I did upgrade to Dunlop wellies and a Belstaff after about a year, but still don't wear much more now. Para boots have replaced the wellies, a Richa rain jacket over an old snug-pak coat and a Spada open-face helmet are my usual garments of choice.

I find it interesting just how much bike clothes cost now. When I bought my Belstaff it can't have been too expensive as I bought it on an apprentice's pay, which was not enormous. Now the damn things cost hundreds of pounds so the wax jacket I use in summer is a cheap knock-off. As for the cost of helmets! I know my head is precious but some of them really take the mickey.

I don't wish to come across as an 'in my day' moaner but I do feel new motorcyclists now are sold the idea that unless they spend big on a whole outfit to go with the style of their bike they are somehow not real motorcyclists. A friend of my wife has recently taken up biking and she asked me about my thoughts on heated gloves. I said that I thought the electrical system on her Lexmoto may be a bit marginal for plug-ins so she could either buy ones with a separate battery or learn to suffer as she is riding a bike in England not Florida. Jaded me? Never.

Spartacian.
I love this. When I see the Sunday morning brigade on their super bikes with matching coloured leathers and helmet, it always makes me smile. Buying a new bike must be incredibly expensive for them too as clearly that will itself necessitate the purchase of a “new outfit” to ensure colour compatibility.
My Hein Gericke fluorescent jacket and gloves are still going strong after 22 years.
1983 Honda CB250RS
2023 BMW G310GS

Moto63

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2022, 09:27:22 AM »
. As for the cost of helmets! I know my head is precious but some of them really take the mickey.

Spartacian.
As usual Ian I (mostly) couldn’t agree more. However being on the receiving end of my accident a few years back, I’m sorry but I just don’t agree with the helmet bit. I was told by three separate medical types while I was in hospital that my helmet had almost certainly saved my life, it had definitely saved me from being permanently brain damaged. I still suffered a bleed on the brain so I seriously dread to think what the outcome would have been had I been wearing a cheap’er helmet.
I was wearing an arai Corsair at the time. Needless to say I went out and bought a new one once I was able to ride again.
So don’t skrimp on the helmet front. You only have one swede. Look after it I say 😉
Cheers, Michael

iansoady

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2022, 10:30:56 AM »
I'm far from convinced that more expensive = better in terms of helmets. The standard ECE 22.05 tests use stresses that are way over the likely impacts that would happen in real life. And having worked with many consultant surgeons over the years, I would always defer to them in clinical matters but many do tend to pontificate on topics outside their realm of expertise.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

Itsme

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2022, 08:57:25 AM »
Hi All

I thoroughly agree with your comments Michael that a helmet is a very important piece of kit and has the potential to save a life or prevent life-changing injuries and I would never be cavalier about helmets, especially to someone who had their life saved by one. I too had a crash in which my helmet saved me from serious facial injuries and, slightly differently, a friend of mine was told by para-medics that had she not been wearing her cycle helmet when she fell off her bicycle she wouldn't have survived.

But there are two aspects of helmets that bother me. Ian touches on a valid point about standards and I always buy a helmet to the latest approved standards, however a mate of mine in the bike trade told me he can buy ACU Gold standard stickers and put them on any helmet he likes. He doesn't I hasten to add, but it is something to consider when buying helmets; always buy from reputable sources.

The other thing is what I call a twat tax. Certainly a decent helmet which has been properly developed by a reputable company and then sold in comparatively small numbers will cost more than a knock-off ebay special, but how much more? £200 for a decent helmet maybe but £400 or even £600? Now to me that is a twat tax in the same way that putting Harley Davidson on a cheap leather jacket and doubling the price is.

Spartacian

iansoady

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2022, 10:19:23 AM »
It's worth remembering that the ACU don't actually test helmets at all but merely charge manufacturers to allow them to apply the stickers. The first Nitro open face I had was fitted with such a sticker. - which was actually lacquered over As I understand it, any helmet to current standards is eligible for the sticker. And if you send your lid to the ACU they will apply a sticker for £15 or so......

As an aside I wonder why the double D ring strap fastening is often said to be superior to the seat-belt type as used on my Nitro. The D rings are fiddly especially with cold wet hands whereas the seatbelt / ratchet arrangement is much more convenient and obviously passeds the relevant standards.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

spooky

• Sunny Dumfries
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2022, 12:24:21 PM »
I much prefer double d (ooh vicar)  i have undone seat belt and ratchet type a few times by accident...

what happened to photos ?   we seem to have drifted off a bit, i will go and look in the cupboard for photos.
Classic efi squadron blue, CG125, Terrot 125, CM200 sprinter,

mthee

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2022, 08:37:31 PM »
Wot, no pics? Meantime, here's an interesting article on how motorcycle jeans utilise modern technology and testing;

https://www.motolegends.com/reviews/Motorcycle-jeans-buyers-guide
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared