Author Topic: Letter in real classic  (Read 698 times)

iansoady

Letter in real classic
« on: December 03, 2021, 04:10:55 PM »
Just noted Ian / Spartacus / Itsme (delete as appropriate) letter in RC. I must say I agree. Even though I now am better off financially than I was I still don't see old bikes as "investments" and always look for cost effective (read cheap) ways of enjoying them. Old habits die hard....

In fact I've cancelled my direct debit to the mag. I can read it for free via the Worcestershire libraries loan scheme anyway.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

Itsme

Re: Letter in real classic
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2021, 06:25:12 AM »
Hi Ian

Thanks for the positive comment especially as I thought Frank Westworth's reply was a bit rude. I think he read the letter as me having a go at him for being able to afford bikes that I can't which was never my intention. I think you have discerned the meaning of my letter correctly; that I am tired of the 'classic' scene being more about money than riding. Most motorbikes, whatever their age, can be made to run and be used if one takes a practical approach to maintenance so in my eyes there is only their value as a means of going places.

I realised the other day that whenever I look at a bike I decide if I like it based on two questions, where has it been and where could I go on it? And part of the pleasure for me is going places cheaply. I know that is highly subjective but if I can have a really nice trip away for a few days and then look at how little I spent, including on fuel etc, then I'm a happy man.

I too have cancelled my direct debit for Real Classic as I think there are now more enjoyable magazines out there which reflect my motorcycling better than this one does now.

Spartacian

iansoady

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2021, 11:00:00 AM »
Yes, reading through that last issue there isn't a lot of relevance for me although the Indian / Vincent article was quite interesting. It does seem to be ticking over rather.

As it happens I'm picking up several boxes of old Classic Bike etc this afternoon so that'll keep me going over Xmas - and will go on to a good home afterwards. Everyone here form an orderly queue!
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

themoudie

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2021, 12:24:18 PM »
My only regular motorcycle 'magazine' is the Old Bike Mart online subscription for £7-50 a year. I haven't bought a magazine in years and I sold the majority that I had to 'collectors'. Mine acquired dust and didn't do my head any good, as do too many motorcycles!  ;)

Good health, Bill

mthee

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2021, 12:26:38 PM »
Great attitude to classic ownership 👍
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

spooky

• Sunny Dumfries
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2021, 12:36:40 PM »
I`m feeling left out !  I want to read the letter  ..... :-\
Classic efi squadron blue, CG125, Terrot 125, CM200 sprinter,

Moto63

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2021, 01:30:25 PM »
as do too many motorcycles!  ;)

Good health, Bill
Hear, hear. Bill.... that’s why I sold three of mine and injected the money into the spitfire. I struggled to make the decision at the time but Haven’t once regretted doing it. 😉👍
Cheers Michael

Itsme

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2021, 04:39:15 PM »
I`m feeling left out !  I want to read the letter  ..... :-\

Hi Rufus

If you PM me your address I will send you my copy of Real Classic as there's nothing in it I am bothered about.

Spartacian

xbally

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2021, 05:18:02 PM »
I don't know whether its me (no pun intended) but I can't seem to find the enthusiasm I used to derive from bike mags.
I used to look forward to my copy of MCN from the 70's - 90's but I look at the emailed flyers I get from them now and really can't be bothered.
I've had several Real Classic subscriptions since FW started it up many years ago but find I easily tire of it.
This year I've re-visited Classic Bike again-I've dipped in and out since Mike Nicks (IIRC) started it back in the 70's- but it no longer does it for me either-far too much motor cross for my taste.
I've taken out another subscription to Classic Motorcycle Mechanics now but I'm pretty sure 6 months will be more than enough.........I used to relish the Bob Berry editored issues in the 90's followed by Rod Gibson but it no longer appeals as much with Moretons ownership.
In the 70's I loved the off beat style of Bike but haven't liked its format and content for many years now.
These days I find it more interesting to re-read (sometimes for the 3rd or 4th time) back issues of Motor Cycle Mechanics from the 60's 70's and 80's.............. Nostalgia I suppose........
HONDA CB250RSA ROYAL ENFIELD CONTINENTAL GT535

spooky

• Sunny Dumfries
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2021, 05:24:40 PM »
I used to get Motorcycle Sport for a number of years in the early 70`s, great read...all of it usually, I did get MCN ,also in early 70`s when I was interested in the Grand Prix`s but no great interest in them these days.
Classic efi squadron blue, CG125, Terrot 125, CM200 sprinter,

Rossco500

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2022, 10:49:07 PM »
Believe it or not Ron, Pete and I are still waiting for our copies to be sent over to NI - I contacted them by email and they were good enough to post one over (still waiting for the original though). Don't know what the problem is. I've been a subscriber since the early days and despite a few gripes I will probably stick with it as it's relatively cheap and a little different from the alternatives. Apologies to any fans but I do wish they would ease up on the number of old Bonneville / Trident / Commando articles though (not cheap bikes these days). I get the impression that many of them are rarely used despite having a fortune thrown at them.
I've always liked the Kawasaki W650 and it surprised me that it took them til 2021 to actually test one - and FW didn't seem to be that impressed. Yet their long time columnist Dave Minton had one in his top 10 favourite motorcycles in an RC article years ago. Different strokes for different folks I suppose..... Other notable omissions over the years IMHO have been the Yamaha SRX600, XT500, SR400 & 500 (I think), Kawasaki Z200, GT / GPZ550 and Honda CB175 & 200.
This is turning into a rant!  :D :D

Regards

Ton