Author Topic: Suzuki GN250 oil consumption  (Read 1062 times)

Itsme

Suzuki GN250 oil consumption
« on: November 16, 2021, 04:25:10 PM »
Hi All

I have never been totally happy with the oil consumption of the Mighty Midget, or for that matter my previous GN250, so I have been trying to be a bit more ordered about how I check it. I have sprayed a line on the garage floor where I put the legs of the centre stand so as to eliminate uneven surfaces and have been watching mileage then topping up using a measuring jug so I know how much oil is going in.

Today I got back from an overnight trip to Great Yarmouth, which from my home in Notts is a 320 mile round trip. I cruised at 50 to 55 and as the route is all A roads the bike was at that speed the vast majority of the time. I used a measured 400ml of oil to bring the level back up to that which I began the trip with. This means that at some point the bike only had 900ml out of 1300ml in the oil circuit, 1300ml being the oil capacity of the engine. The top end is a bit clattery at that speed and I read somewhere the top end is starved when the level gets low.

I worry that this seems a bit excessive and will require constant topping up on long runs. The bike doesn't appear to smoke and there are no oil puddles under it in the garage.

Am I worrying unnecessarily or should I be considering new rings etc?

Spartacus

spooky

• Sunny Dumfries
Re: Suzuki GN250 oil consumption
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 04:41:05 PM »
All of my gn`s used oil, if i was on a longish run i always carried some... none of them smoked or leaked
Classic efi squadron blue, CG125, Terrot 125, CM200 sprinter,

SteveC#222

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 04:54:34 PM »
When I had mine it more or less ran on a total loss system! I rarely 'changed ' the oil as the oil was changed through top ups over a couple of months. It always rattled but always ran fine. Just a GN thing.
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Itsme

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 06:03:57 PM »
Thank you both. I guess I just need to accept it as a 'GN thing' as I love the bike and am very happy with it in all other ways.

Cheers

Ian

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2021, 10:13:49 PM »
have you looked down the inlet port with the carb off to see if oil is running down the inlet valves? if the valve stem oil seals are knackered, then  its going to drink oil.

Itsme

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2021, 08:41:24 AM »
Hi John

Thanks for that. No I hadn't thought of that, but it is a very good tip and I will have a look this week.

Ian