Author Topic: SRX 600 - big favour to ask - SORTED  (Read 1666 times)

SteveThackery

SRX 600 - big favour to ask - SORTED
« on: November 02, 2021, 07:52:05 PM »
Hi from a Thumper Club newbie!   :)

My newly-bought SRX 600 isn't charging the battery.  Speaking to the previous owner, it's possible it hasn't been working for quite some time.

Testing with the multimeter shows about 50V AC on the white wires from the alternator (when disconnected from the reg/rec) when revving the engine.

When the white wires are connected to the reg/rec, the AC voltage drops to just a few volts, and the engine idle slows down audibly.  Tapping one of the spade connectors onto its reg/rec terminal produces big sparks, suggesting a lot of current flow.  The reg/rec seems to be putting a near-short circuit across the alternator winding, putting a load on the engine, slowing it down.  There is no DC output on the DC terminals of the reg/rec.  So it's blown, right?

Bought a new generic replacement reg/rec, fitted it yesterday, and exactly the same symptoms.   :(

Now I'm wondering if the reg/rec has been wired into the circuit incorrectly.  The wiring diagram in the SRX manual doesn't show exactly which wires go to which terminals.

Could an SRX owner to me a BIG favour?  Could you take a photo of your reg/rec, with the wiring connector plugged in, such that I can see exactly which colour wires go to which terminals?  They are in a four-way connector (black, on my bike).

I'd be really grateful - with no way of finding the correct connections I'm a bit stuffed.

Thanks!   ;D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 05:12:30 PM by SteveThackery »

Moto63

Re: SRX 600 - big favour to ask
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 08:04:02 PM »
Evening Steve and welcome to the TC, unfortunately I’m not equipped with enough brain power especially when it comes to the srx. However there are a few very knowledgeable chaps on here that have SRX’s so I’m sure one will be along shortly to hopefully help you out.
Cheers, Michael

SteveThackery

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 08:30:04 PM »
Hey, Michael, and thanks for your reply.

Right now I don't think I need someone with a massive brain!  Just someone with the tail piece removed from their SRX who could photograph the reg/rec and connector.

As I say, the first step is to make sure it's connected up correctly.  If it still doesn't work, then I'll be calling on all the mega-brains.   ;D

themoudie

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 12:24:02 AM »
Aye SteveT (different from SteveL and SteveH  ;) ),

Welcome to the "madhouse"!  ;D

Twinshock or monoshock, 600 or 400, year of manufacture?

Will have a looksee later this morning, 600 mono, with XT600E engine and 600 twin shock (1JK), not European model.

Then post images and diagram depending on your reply.

Do you require a pdf manual for the 600 twin shock? If so, please send me your email address via a personal message (PM).

Finally, enter "srx rectifier" into the 'SEARCH' window in the top right of the forum screen and read the previous queries about SRX reectifiers in the 'Bike Problems/Questions' section of the forum, you may find the answer?

Good health, Bill

SteveThackery

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 07:20:31 AM »
Hey, Bill,

"Twinshock or monoshock, 600 or 400, year of manufacture?"

So, it's a twin shock, 600cc, 1986.

themoudie

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 10:18:33 AM »
Morning SteveT,

Images and wiring diagrams. Images attached to this post and wiring diagrams attached to the following post, due to attachment sizes! ???

The pair of white/yellow wires (W/Y) from the alternator change to a pair of white (W) wires at a connector and continue to another connector, where they are paired with the red (R) output from the rectifier to the battery + terminal. Whilst the 3rd white (W) wire, from the rectifier (on my SRX) is connected to earth; in the wiring diagram this is shown as a black (B) wire.

I have a nasty feeling that your charging coil insulation maybe cooked!  :(  However, have a double check of all the connections and run the workshop manual tests.

SteveL, who is much more electrickery minded than I maybe along at some time and be able to advise.

Good health, Bill

themoudie

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2021, 10:20:16 AM »
SteveT,

Wiring diagram pages of the charging circuit tests attached.

Bill

SteveThackery

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2021, 02:17:02 PM »
Thank you so much, Bill!  That's brilliant - I really appreciate the trouble you've gone to.

Now, your wiring is completely different from mine.  The regulator on mine has just four terminals, whereas yours appears to have five wires going into it (three whites, a red and a black).  Mine has two whites, a red and a black.

I've actually found those pages you kindly posted online.  The wiring diagram shows four wires going to the reg/rec, so now I wonder if yours might be non-standard!  Also, of course, the wiring diagram doesn't show the physical layout of the connector on the reg/rec.

Attached are three photos of mine.  I've removed the four spades from the plastic shell, and as you can see, there are two whites, a red and a black.  The two whites have AC on them, the black goes to chassis, and the red goes to the battery positive terminal.  The big question is, which of the four terminals on the regulator does each wire connect to?   :)

Oh, and thanks for that suggestion about the alternator winding - it might be shorting to ground, so I will check that.

themoudie

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2021, 12:04:00 AM »
Aye SteveT,

My regulator/rectifier on mine is exactly the same as yours.

The red square that I used to highlight the regulator/rectifier on the wiring diagram could have been a little smaller, but, I was trying to highlight the battery charging circuit from the lower half of the alternator symbol, rather than the ignition circuit from the top half of the alternator symbol.

The only difference that I can see between our systems is that you have a black wire that should be earthed to the frame. Whereas on my wiring loom this is a white wire.

So, you should be able to trace the black wire to an earth point on the frame. The red wire should be connected to the positive terminal of the battery and your two white wires should end in a plastic connector to the two white/yellow wires coming from the charging coils on the alternator stator.

If this isn't how you have the connections made then I am not surprised that you have issues.

Whilst my regulator/rectifier is not an original, like yours, I removed the original from mine when it failed and fitted a pattern regulator/rectifier from Wemoto as the replacement. But, I did not change the position of the four (wires) in the female multiplug on the alternator side of the wiring.

I cannot remember if there are any symbols moulded into the sealing plastic around the male terminals on the OME regulator/rectifier that might guide you. Later in the morning (04/11) I will strip out another machine to see if I can be more specific, but you can see that a female snap connector of the type that is OME, is used to connect the loom to the regulator/rectifier and all that is different with my pattern module is that the wires are bought out to a male plug, rather than being moulded into the end of the module.

Will write again after further investigation.

Good health, Bill

SteveThackery

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2021, 12:35:04 AM »
Hey, Bill,

Again, I am immensely grateful for you spending all this time.

I am still slightly confused, so let me just check something: what is your photo 'rctfr1.JPG' a picture of?  I thought it was a picture of the wires going into the reg/rec unit, but maybe not because it has five wires going into it, but there are only four wires in the connector in the photo 'rctfr2.JPG'.

Next point - you wrote this: 

"The only difference that I can see between our systems is that you have a black wire that should be earthed to the frame. Whereas on my wiring loom this is a white wire.

So, you should be able to trace the black wire to an earth point on the frame. The red wire should be connected to the positive terminal of the battery and your two white wires should end in a plastic connector to the two white/yellow wires coming from the charging coils on the alternator stator."

Right - that describes mine exactly.  You see the picture I gave of the four wires ending in spade terminals?  The white ones go to the charging coils, the black one to earth, and the red one to the battery positive.  So we agree on that.

I think we are almost on the point of a breakthrough.  Looking at your photo 'rctfr2.JPG', I can see one red wire and three white ones.  Can you tell me which of the white ones is connected to earth?  Top left, top right, or bottom right?  Once I know that, I'll connect my black wire in that position, the red as shown in your photo, and the white wires in the remaining two slots.

Phew - almost there!   :)

PS: I almost forgot - this morning I checked with a multimeter to see if the generator coil is shorting to earth, but it isn't.  There is a very low resistance between the two white wires as I check back towards the generator, but an infinite resistance between those wires and earth.  So it looks like the generator winding is probably OK.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 12:38:02 AM by SteveThackery »

themoudie

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2021, 08:58:57 AM »
Morning SteveT,

My apologies for the 5 wire confusion, non-OME parts!  ::)  I will remove the tail panels from both bikes and check wire positions in plugs.

Dentist first, then SRX!  ;)

Then another canter, as I did yesterday, a cracking clear weather window, with plenty of sun and arctic air! ;D

Regards, Bill

SteveThackery

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2021, 11:20:27 AM »
Another canter!

My life is strange at the moment - I'm living in a room that I'm renting from some friends, because I've sold my old house and am in the process of buying a new one.  All my possessions are in storage, so it's hard to do any kind of hobby or pastime. 

I even sold both my bikes (BMW F800GT, Royal Enfield Bullet) so they weren't clogging up the landlord's garage.  However, I saw an SRX at a good price recently so I thought it was too good an opportunity to miss.  They aren't that common here in the UK, as you probably know.  Had to grovel to the landlord a bit!

themoudie

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2021, 11:43:16 AM »
Aye Steve,

Sounds a bit like my early days living in caravans and rented rooms, not the best when trying to maintain motorbikes and keep food on the table. I hope that the purchase process doesn't get crazy!  :(  England & Wales is different from here in Scotland, I have used both and the latter, I prefer. A canter for me is a run out on a bike for up to 150 miles, preferably sticking to lesser A roads and the B, C and U byways.

Now to plugs and wires!

I have taken two images of the female plug on the end of the wiring loom of my 1986 SRX600 1JK Grey import. The loom is original. The plug has the two white wires from the alternator in the upper two connectors, whilst the red wire is in the lower right connector and the black wire is in the lower left connector, when viewed from the rear of the plug and the locking tang is uppermost, as it would clip into the regulator/rectifier that you have posted an image of.

Hopefully, this solves your conundrum.

When I put a ohmmeter across the wires on any scale, I had no resistance in the white wire circuit through the alternator coils and no leakage to earth.

Good health, Bill

SteveThackery

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2021, 01:18:25 PM »
Bill, that is fantastic and exactly what I was looking for.  THANK YOU!

So now the bad news: mine is wired up correctly.  Not to worry - I can now get on with the rest of the fault-finding process.  When I've got to the bottom of it I'll report back with the answer.

Thanks again, Bill - you've been brilliant and a credit to the forum.   :)

Best wishes,
Steve

Moto63

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2021, 06:20:35 PM »

Thanks again, Bill - you've been brilliant and a credit to the forum.   :)

Yes indeedy... Bill for prime minister I say. I’m just off take make my placard now.  😁🤘