Author Topic: A rare bird, this one!  (Read 969 times)

mthee

Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

themoudie

Re: A rare bird, this one!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 12:08:34 AM »
Bit of a dinosaur!  ;)

Bill

Moto63

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 08:28:29 AM »
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣no please stop it, don’t forget my broken ribs still hurt when I laugh to much
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

mthee

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 01:41:27 PM »
Twitter ye not! In the description, we are assured that the bike, "Rides and handles really well."....er, for what?

Moto63

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2021, 03:46:37 PM »
Twitter ye not!
Sorry but I feel I have to, as it’s a joke surely 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Itsme

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 08:25:38 AM »
I am crying in sympathy for that lovely motor forced to live out its days in that frame.

Spartacus

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 12:09:42 PM »
well i love it. wouldnt it be boring if we all only liked the same stuff? some folks who ride chops might look at a nice xbr and think, 'meh, boring bland stock bike' who are we to criticise the owner and builder of this. i like a nice chop, and this isnt even extreme. i'll post some pics of my mates chop that will make your brains boil if this upsets you. he went out and bought a full on tuned xr650 off roader just so he could chop it. and he built the entire frame, the fuel tank, the suspension and seat springing, did the wiring and made the oil in frame setup to simplify the look of the bike, everything bar the paintwork. so who can criticize him, if youre going to spend half a day worrying about changing a headlight bulb or seat cover. thats a tidy simple chop, and id have it in my garage.

mthee

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 03:43:12 PM »
You're right, of course, John; each to their own and every bike is worthy, especially it it's built. I love a chopper myself, especially with a girder front end, but this one looks odd to my eye, especially the choice of exhaust, speedo and engine. Perhaps it's because it's the first I've seen using the Honda single? Maybe the oil tank up front as well? I think he should have said it handles really well for a chopper with 10" overs.

themoudie

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2021, 04:30:39 PM »
Aye John,

Looking forward to see seeing the
chop that will make your brains boil
XR650.

Good health, Bill

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 09:04:49 PM »
1st pic

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2021, 09:06:17 PM »
2nd

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 09:07:26 PM »
3rd

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2021, 09:15:19 PM »
this really seemed to yank the cord of people who were outraged that he cut up an xr650 and then he painted it in repsol road race colours, managed to piss off the off road guys, the road race guys and then on top of that, the custom guys thought it was too gaudy cos of its paintwork, very polarising, but amazing attention to detail, all the oil lives inside the frame so no external oil lines, equally the cooling water also goes through the frame, so internal divides were needed to stop them mixing, and to complicate it further, all the wiring runs inside the frame, note the machined lump of perspex sticking out of the frame tube by the back axle , thats the back light, the led light lives inside the frame and the wiring goes inside too. simple and neat but clever. also note the sprung saddle made by him and upholstered to match the paint, all the supports were high pressure water cut from billets of stainless to match the pattern of the off road footpegs, the spring for the seat is a mountain bike shock absorber, a multitude of smart stuff. if i can i'll try and borrow it for the stafford show next year.
and he also built a ducati monster chop thats equally polarizing and extreme. 52" wide handlebars anybody?

Moto63

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2021, 06:55:20 AM »
Now that I like John.
 Love the individuality about it, certainly not just ya average chop. As you say some extremely nice attention to detail touches on it. Clearly your mate has got a keen eye. Clever bloke T’boot. Bet it sounds good too eh 😉
Cheers, Michael

themoudie

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2021, 09:40:47 AM »
Thank you for posting John.  ;D

The engineering mind behind it is what I like. The HRC colours may be gaudy, but that is what HRC want, to catch the eye in the middle of the race melee! Not sure that I would want to drape myself across those bars, or the 52" ones on the Monster!  :o

But, if you want to make a 'statement' in the world of ego, amongst a group of similar vehicles, it would certainly do that.  ;D ;D ;D

Now, how do you make an electric motor and battery, in a frame as attention grabbing, in engineering terms?  :-\

Good health and have a grand weekend, Bill