Author Topic: Not a Thumper...but Has Anyone Registered An Imported Bike With The DVLA  (Read 804 times)

xbally

Earlier this year I bought from their customer a 1981 Kawasaki KZ440 which had been imported by D & K. I have the US title, Nova Certificate and proof of the age verified by an officially approved club. As the bike will be 40 in October I am hoping not to need tax or MOT it .I have the form but am unsure whether many of the questions need to be answered as they seem irrelevant. I haven't registered a bike for many years and when I last did you applied to the local VRO but I believe this is now done centrally to the DVLA.(I have added it to my insurance using the chassis number.)
HONDA CB250RSA ROYAL ENFIELD CONTINENTAL GT535

Moto63

Re: Not a Thumper...but Has Anyone Registered An Imported Bike With The DVLA
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 05:55:10 PM »
Evening Martin... I’m fairly sure Chris (hyperbimduke) registered a German XBR not to long ago. Might be worth trying to send him an email, hopefully be able to help you out 🤞
Cheers, Michael

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 07:47:50 AM »
yes, i registered one of my SRX's (grey import from japan) a while back, simple enough procedure (you can get details off the dvla website), my main issues were insuring it so that i could ride it to get an mot. insurance was done on the chassis number but they would only give me 2 weeks, then i had to give them the reg number. and getting it dated for an age related plate. yamaha charged me £70 for the manufacturing date.... fairly straight forward after that.

xbally

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 09:15:37 PM »
Thank you Michael and Steve. I'll look further into this and report back-Martin

RonXBR

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 06:55:04 PM »
Sorry, can't help with the import registration. Just like to point out it might take a while to get sorted. Sent my V5 for a  1980 CD200 to Swansea for a change of taxation class to Historic Vehicle, fairly basic and straightforward. That was in mid May and it arrived last Thursday, so, about 14-15 week turnaround. Apart from Covid issues, Swansea are having industrial action problems. In all my dealings with them, I photocopy everything and get proof of postage. Good luck with it all.

Ron.

Moto63

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2021, 08:00:23 PM »
Yes the industrial action at the DVLA was one of the reasons I was (eventually) given by CCM as to why my spitfire took so long to arrive.
Cheers, Michael

Ian

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2021, 10:54:06 PM »
Like Steve Lake I also registered a grey import SRX. Also I had an issue insuring it on the VIN number. Even though plenty of people say they know an insurance company that "will do it" just make sure they do!
Also ensure ALL details are EXACTLY correct. My VIN number was incorrectly written down on the NOVA certificate without a preceding "0" (zero) which the DVLA picked up on and caused a slight delay ( as if you needed one)
Ian
1 SRX 1 C400X -2 thumpers

xbally

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 04:53:09 PM »
Thanks all. Let you know how I get on. I believe the industrial action is due to lack of Covid protection for the workforce.