Author Topic: srx/xt inlet manifold repair  (Read 801 times)

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
srx/xt inlet manifold repair
« on: August 22, 2021, 07:21:34 PM »
anyone repaired one of these.... and if so ..... how and with what ?

SRXpatriate

Re: srx/xt inlet manifold repair
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 09:11:56 PM »
Hi Steve,

Yes, I did repair those manifolds a long time ago. I used Sikaflex, an adhesive sealant that, I think, is primarily for marine applications.

Rene

themoudie

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 09:42:11 PM »
Aye Steve,

Short answer, No!

Used XT manifolds on the twin shock SRX600 (Sally) when rebuilt and XT manifolds on the XT600E motor when rebuilt and installed in the mono shock SRX400 frame. Worked fine.

Prices will now be  :o  for genuine OME parts. SRX400 mono shock 1JK-13586-01 are £72-50 from Fowlers on 'Back order'!  ::)

Nothing listed for the SRX600 mono shock engine, but SRX400/SRX600 twinshock have 1JK-13586-00 at £72-50 from Fowlers on 'Back order'!  ::)

You could use a brass wire brush to abrade the inside of the rubber boot and the alloy casting outer, then clean off in hot soapy water and dry. Then assemble with some 'Gorilla Glue Original' as this is resistant to heat and the foam expands into all those wee nooks and crannies that you created when wire brushing the surfaces. Trim off the excess and then give the whole thing a soak in 'Armorall' protectant, I find that this helps restore the supplness of the rubber. Of course you can try the wintergreen concoction if you prefer!  ;)

I would give the 'Gorilla' a go first and if that proves rubbish then go for back order from Fowlers. A final alternative is to go on the Japanese auction site 'Jauce', where there are regular lots of SRX spares, but commission, export/import and carriage can increase the price you pay by approximately 3 times! At present I am unable to see the Lot images on the site and I do not know why? Just a load of code symbols! :(

Hope this helps and see if Ian has any alternative ideas.

Good health, Bill
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 09:43:50 PM by themoudie »

themoudie

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 09:44:22 PM »
Rene's idea looks good. ;)

Bill

Steve Lake

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 07:24:18 AM »
hi Bill, thanks (as usual) for the info, yes, i had looked at fowlers and found nothing immediately available.
and Rene, thanks for that info too, i will try sikaflex, it is used in in the automotive industry for bonding autobody parts , and more importantly, my Son does campervan conversions and always has a few tubes around.... it's very expensive stuff.

i have located a pair on fleabay, cheapish, probably cheap chinese stuff, but from a uk supplier, so will give them a try as well

cheers

themoudie

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 09:22:13 AM »
... it's very expensive stuff.

You getting tight bor?  ;D

Under £10 a cartridge here: Sikaflex-522-caravan-sealant-adhesive

Alternative would be this: Sikaflex-221-adhesive-sealant-300ml at well under £10 a cartridge.

The latter seems to be similar to 'Gorilla Glue Original'.

Yew keep a troshin' and I'll keep doin the same, he do say!

Bill

Steve Lake

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 09:07:30 PM »
hi Bill. #1 Son assures me there are over 30 variants of sikaflex for a range of different applications .. all at different prices.

looks like sikabond AT Metal is the one to go for

but i have tried a new (to me) bonding agent called TEC CT1,

i've tested it on different materials and it seems to provide a really strong bond. will post the results.

however, for #1 i will use the new XT items i have ordered. poor old #1 is struggling. fitted the new BT46 tyre on the back, now can't get the brake to work, so have ordered a service kit for it. also noticed it was becoming very viby on the way back from MOT and also hard to select neutral, felt like clutch drag. so have ordered a set of plates, springs & cable, will then open her up and find out that i have got the balance shaft a few teeth out .... (oh, and the cross brace on the front hangers (just behind the down pipes) .... one bolt missing .... i'm thinking i should have kept #9 and sold #1. ....

themoudie

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 12:10:13 AM »
Fettling!  ;)  Never finished with these old birds!

Duke out for a 55 mile canter in the gloaming in the Ochils and a local fresh raspberry gelato cornet halfway!  ;D ;D ;D

Came home and checked the rear tyre! Wore 1mm off the centre and the same on the sides, now down to 2mm in the middle third after 2,500 miles! :o Heidenau's are as bad as the old TT100's. Now looking to put an Avon RoadRider MKII on, but even the 90/90-18 is 7mm wider than the 3.50 x 18 fitted at the moment. So, probably go down the Avon StreetRunner route, or maybe try the Dunlop K82, as they are lighter in weight and supposedly easier to fit than the Avon's. Speak with my supplier later today and maybe give Avon and Dunlop a call and see what they say.

Would definitely go with Avon RoadRider MKII's on the SRX's and Bros.

Blackberrying as well!

Keep a troshin! Bill

Steve Lake

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2021, 07:38:48 PM »
i have repaired the inlet manifold with CT1, seems a good well bonded job (another 24 hours curing will finalise the job), time will tell as to how it deals with heat/vibration/petrol+E5-E10. will report after a long time test. i have some XT ones coming , so if it fails at least i won't be off the road for long. now to sort out the rear break ... good news is the bleed nipples are unscrewing ok (i've had so many shear off)
pip pip

themoudie

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2021, 04:11:21 PM »
 ;D Bill