Author Topic: some nice little thumpers at the local friday night gathering  (Read 605 times)

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
Bill will appreciate these i hope ..
i'll post them 1 at a time to retain some decent definition

Steve Lake

Re: some nice little thumpers at the local friday night gathering
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 02:52:03 PM »

Steve Lake

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 02:54:01 PM »

Steve Lake

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 02:55:50 PM »

Steve Lake

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 02:59:35 PM »
and one for the old timers ...

Moto63

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2021, 05:14:43 PM »
Corkers... that’s for sharing steve👍
Cheers, Michael

JOOLZ

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2021, 06:57:49 PM »
Very nice bikes, I dont recognise the bike in picture number 4 though, is it a Triumph engine, Honda ? frame
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 06:59:25 PM by JOOLZ »

themoudie

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 11:37:08 PM »
Aye SteveL,

Very nice too. These wee perishers are very popular now and many spares are still available. Nice to see them being used. But they are awful shiny! ;)

Joolz

My eyes aren't what they used to be and Steve's image is at an angle, but I think #4 image is of a Ducati 160 Monza Junior. These 160s along with the 350 Sebring were part of a large "job lot" of Ducati singles, with this squared styling originally destined for the American market through Berliner, the USA Ducati importer. However, they were a marketing disaster and with Berliner on the brink of bankruptcy in 1967 they refused to accept the shipment. Liverpudlian "Entreprenuer", Bill Hannah, bought all the stock very cheap and then sold them in the UK, at a price that undercut Vic Camp, the UK official Ducati importer.

The 160 also had 16" wheels as standard, many are converted to 18" rims these days and there are some other peculiarities in the engine. I know that many were used in UK club racing, against Triumph Tiger Cub based machines, with some success.

If I have misidentified the model in image #4, I apologise.

Good health, Bill
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 08:04:03 PM by themoudie »

Moto63

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2021, 08:28:47 AM »
Bill... once again your knowledge on all things bike amazes me. Oh and yes I agree with you the “they’re very shiny, but nice to see them out and being ridden” however the question has to be asked. Had it not been 26degrees in the shade, would they still have ridden them along to the meet 🤔🤔
Cheers. Michael

Steve Lake

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2021, 11:17:52 AM »
i spoke to one of the owners, who had ridden 20 miles to the caff/steam railway museum ( https://whitwellstation.com/ ). well worth a visit if you are in the area, bike nights friday. he admits to being a polisher, but will take it out any time anywhere there's a bike meet (of which we have several in norfolk). i see these bikes regularly at the meet. first time i've seen the beeza combo at the meet, but i do occasionally see him about with a big black labrador in the chair ... a nice well used 'unrestored' outfit ....

JOOLZ

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2021, 01:46:35 PM »
Thanks for the information that clears it up, I had never seen one before

themoudie

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2021, 08:22:17 PM »
Michael, Steve and Joolz,

Michael Nothing to be "amazed" at Michael, just the sign of an "anorak"!  ;)

Steve  Aye it takes all sorts, but at least these are getting for an airing and not carted about on trailers, or inside vans. Big black lab's in a chair, are always a good                   conversation starter.

Joolz No bother, pleased to see the beasty has been given an airing. There'll be some headscratching when you take a break! :o ;D ;D

With temperatures up in the mid 20°'s again today, we were out on the Bros and Dusplati, Lochearn, Killin, over the Ben Lawers road down into Glen Lyon, Fortingall (home of the old yew tree), Aberfeldy, then home over the top towards Perth. Everywhere crawling, with campervans, caravans and partying groups in places never seen before! However, Glen Lyon was its serene self and we had a cuppa and tasty piece, in peace, afore heading off again. Over a 100 enjoyable miles, we are very fortunate.

Good health, Bill