Author Topic: If you need a chain  (Read 1561 times)

Itsme

If you need a chain
« on: January 30, 2022, 05:54:47 PM »
Hi all

I got fed up with buying chains off ebay which seem to be made of elastic so rang Jason Smith who trades as The Chain Man UK. He told me he had a Regina chain in 520 X 100 links which is used by motocross riders which he thought should do the GN250 admirably and he quoted me £40. We agreed that I would pick one up from him at Newark Autojumble today.

When I got to his stall he told me he'd do me the chain for £35 so I bought two tins of good quality chain lube as well.

Very happy with the result.

Spartacian

iansoady

Re: If you need a chain
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 11:15:16 AM »
Yes, he's always been very helpful and reasonably priced.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

kevberlin

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 01:59:02 PM »
Thanks for that. Looked him up to find that he’s based 20 minutes away from me.
Incidentally what are thoughts on chain wax versus chain lube?
I’ve always used lube and never knew there was a wax option.
1983 Honda CB250RS
2023 BMW G310GS

Moto63

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 02:21:50 PM »
Afternoon kevberlin. I use wurth high performance dry chain lube. Have done for years, not the cheapest stuff out there but I personally find it very good and virtually no fling. So back wheel etc stays pretty clean too.. result 👍
Cheers, Michael

xbally

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 04:18:57 PM »
I've never used him but have seen The Chain Man when I used to be regular show goer. I see he's in Stourport which is not far from me. I seem to recall he used to have premises at Bewdley-just along the river severn. I might give him a try but does he also supply sprockets?
HONDA CB250RSA ROYAL ENFIELD CONTINENTAL GT535

kevberlin

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2022, 08:11:09 PM »
Afternoon kevberlin. I use wurth high performance dry chain lube. Have done for years, not the cheapest stuff out there but I personally find it very good and virtually no fling. So back wheel etc stays pretty clean too.. result 👍
Cheers, Michael
Michael,
Thanks for that. I also use Wurth lube, and as you say, there’s little fling. I just wondered about the performance of wax in comparison.
Kev
1983 Honda CB250RS
2023 BMW G310GS

Itsme

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2022, 07:10:50 AM »
I've never used him but have seen The Chain Man when I used to be regular show goer. I see he's in Stourport which is not far from me. I seem to recall he used to have premises at Bewdley-just along the river severn. I might give him a try but does he also supply sprockets?

I don't know for sure but I didn't see any on his stall at Newark. Might be worth a phone call though as if he doesn't he might know a good source to go to.

Spartacian

iansoady

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2022, 11:11:43 AM »
I used to use wurth wax on my 955i Tiger and it was excellent for an O ring chain. However, the Norton has a traditional type without seals so I use silkolene aerosol on that. Still trying to work out what I should put on the x-max's belt.......
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

Moto63

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2022, 12:58:18 PM »
Still trying to work out what I should put on the x-max's belt.......
That’s easy that one Ian....WD40. That lubricates anything 😉🤣

(I’m joking obviously 🤦???)

xbally

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2022, 05:15:51 PM »

I don't know for sure but I didn't see any on his stall at Newark. Might be worth a phone call though as if he doesn't he might know a good source to go to.

Spartacian
Just seen this -thanks. I don't need anything at the moment but will bear him in mind in future.
HONDA CB250RSA ROYAL ENFIELD CONTINENTAL GT535