Author Topic: Driving licence renewal question  (Read 641 times)

SteveC#222

Driving licence renewal question
« on: February 15, 2021, 06:28:10 PM »
I've just had a notice from the DVLA that I need to renew my photo licence in April.  :-\

Some time ago there was a problem with people renewing their old licence and finding the new licence had the motorcycle entitlement removed and the DVLA refusing to reinstate it. >:(

Has anyone had to renew recently and if so did you have any problems ?

Thanks

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

xbally

Re: Driving licence renewal question
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 06:42:13 PM »
I renewed mine a couple of years ago and had no problems. I was moving from the old paper style to the photo licence type - as far as I'm aware there isn't a problem when renewing the photo licence.
HONDA CB250RSA ROYAL ENFIELD CONTINENTAL GT535

tommy

• xbr500 xbr 650 nx 650 gsx1100
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 09:28:32 PM »
photo copy your old  licence and if theres a problem afterwards aleast you have proof of your bike licence

xbally

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 10:34:25 PM »
photo copy your old  licence and if theres a problem afterwards aleast you have proof of your bike licence

Even better if you can get a solicitor to certify that it's a true copy of the original. This is what I did but easy for me as I work in solicitors and this was before Covid.
HONDA CB250RSA ROYAL ENFIELD CONTINENTAL GT535

Itsme

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2021, 10:22:36 AM »
I think there were a very few mistakes made and they became a big scare story. I renewed mine and had no problems at all.

Spartacus

iansoady

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 12:31:01 PM »
You don't actually have to send the old one back - just say it's mislaid. I always do this just in case. As spartacus says there were probably only a few errors but if you were one of those affected it was a big deal.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

OZ

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 04:07:29 PM »
As a motorcycle instructor I can say that I've had half a dozen or more people who have "lost" their entitlement to ride and have had to go through for test again. DVLA won't accept photocopies of licences and DVSA only hold records for 2 years. The only person I know who managed to convince DVLA that it was their error had to involve a solicitor at some considerable cost. If your licence renewal is due to an out of date photo you can apply on line if you have a current passport - they ask you to destroy your old licence, but that's your choice.

SteveC#222

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2021, 03:55:41 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  I haven't got a passport so I'm planning to go into the nearest suitable Post Office on Tuesday and see what happens. If they want to take my current photo license I'll tell'em i need it and then accidentally lose it and get a replacement.

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 07:51:57 AM »
I.ve renewed twice now. no problems. but i do, A) photocopy my old one , both sides. and B) retain the old on, intact until i receive the new one, and it checks out ok. then i cut the old one in half and return it to the dvla ..... strangely i forgot to do that last time... and never heard anything from them.

spooky

• Sunny Dumfries
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 08:45:58 AM »
oh.....am I supposed to have a driving licence ?    ;)
Classic efi squadron blue, CG125, Terrot 125, CM200 sprinter,

SteveC#222

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 11:39:56 AM »
So..... went to the Post office on Tuesday and had my mugshot taken..then they took my old licence  >:( and gave me a till slip which was my temporary licence  :o.........new licence arrived today (Friday) WITH motorcycle entitlement intact!! ;D ;D ;D ;D.....so all good for another ten years - PHEW!

(I did take the precaution of taking several photos of the old licence and a vidio of it with me turning it around so you could clearly see both sides just in case!)

So the moral of the story is renew using you passport if you have one!