Author Topic: Info on SRX400 wanted  (Read 701 times)

Itsme

Info on SRX400 wanted
« on: February 02, 2021, 07:23:40 PM »
Hello good Thumperteers

The deal I was trying to do on a Suzuki GN250 looks as though it has fallen through so I am looking at a Yamaha SRX400. Does anyone have anything to say about them good or bad? I know some of you have owned them so I hope to find out real information. Are they reliable? Are there any known faults? Any issues with spares etc?

I would be using it for commuting, bimbling around and the occasional longer trip. Due to my advancing years bringing more pain in bits of me that I have injured over the years I no longer wish to ride enormous distances, just have fun and get home without crying!

Cheers gents.

Spartacus.

tommy

• xbr500 xbr 650 nx 650 gsx1100
Re: Info on SRX400 wanted
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 08:47:27 PM »
hi ian there a good bike bit cramped with the sporty riding position , the main thing to watch for on the srx 400/600 is rotten fuel tanks there know for that  so check that as it can be hard to get a good one  cheers tommy

spooky

• Sunny Dumfries
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2021, 08:49:45 PM »
Find another GN250...  ;D
Classic efi squadron blue, CG125, Terrot 125, CM200 sprinter,

Itsme

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2021, 09:32:14 PM »
Find another GN250...  ;D

Oh Rufus you have no idea how it pains me to potentially lose the one I found. Lovely condition and is currently being held at a bike shop for me, but I am having no luck selling my CBF500 so can't afford it. Ideally it would be the one I'd choose.

Thanks Tommy I am a bit worried about the riding position as it does look a bit severe. Interesting about the tanks as I had the same problem with a BMW K100 I bought last year as a project. Amazing how many variations of K series tank look the same on top but are totally different underneath!

Spartacus

Ian

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2021, 10:17:58 PM »
I can only say good really...well I am on my 9th one. They are more suited to smaller riders (me included!) 760 seat height. The rotten tank thing is normally associated with bikes that have been ignored, not used or otherwise neglected. They really need using on a regular basis imho. The twin carbs need looking after, especially don't leave fuel to go stale in them.
As for spares, plenty of them about so second hand are usually easy to get your hands on. New spares are obviously getting scarcer. Quite a few parts are interchangeable.
They are light and handle well and lovely to ride round the twisty back lanes. The 400s are allegedly a smoother than the 600s but each to his own. I think the later monoshock/electric start versions are more comfortable than the earlier twin shock/kickstart versions but again this is a personal thing and lots still prefer the twinshock version. I'm now riding a 400 mono with over 70000km on the clock basically unmolested and it's a pleasure to ride.
Hope this gives you a bit of a heads up. I'm just giving my thoughts and feelings.
Hth Jacqueline
1 SRX 1 C400X -2 thumpers

CrazyFrog

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 10:18:26 PM »
Ian, I should imagine there are very few people buying bikes at the moment, which is why you can't shift your cbf500, but I would think that there's a good chance the GN will still be there in a couple of months when lockdown has eased a bit, spring is in the air, and hopefully you'll have sold the cbf by then...
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

Itsme

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 04:31:29 PM »
Thank you Jacqui and Pete you both have things to say that make me think. I think on balance I will either make a renewed effort to afford the GN I have found or just wait and re-advertise my CBF in Spring. Always some reason to look for another bike isn't there!!

Spartacus.

Moto63

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 05:17:18 PM »
. Always some reason to look for another bike isn't there!!

Spartacus.
Oh yes indeedy there is. Best of luck with the GN Ian.... eerr, sorry Spartacus. Hopefully things will work in your favour 🤞🤞
Cheers, Michael

Ian

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 07:10:26 PM »
Thank you Jacqui and Pete........

Spartacus.

I like Jacqui better.....than Jaqueline
1 SRX 1 C400X -2 thumpers

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 10:19:08 PM »
A good solid reliable steed. won't knock out 5th gear (which is a problem on the 600), as most, if not all are grey imports, some parts are hard to get but chassis, brakes, wheels, bodywork are pretty much the same as the 600, . the bits that are hard to source are mainly engine related, so get a 400 with a good engine and you'll be fine. there are electric start 400's about (they do retain the kickstart), mainly they are all kickstart, to which there is a knack as on the 600 .... as long as your right leg is serviceable you'll have no problem.

Itsme

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 08:49:08 AM »
Thanks Steve. I am tempted I have to say but the riding position would need some thought.

I think the double edge of my CBF is that it is so fabulously reliable and does everything it needs to but is so incredibly dull, it's like a dad version of a motorbike. When I think of replacing it I start to get worried that I will be giving up all of the good bits just to get rid of an image. I have some thinking to do.

Pleased to have helped with the name change Jacqui, I am such a modern man.

Spartacus.

Moto63

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 11:09:47 AM »

Pleased to have helped with the name change Jacqui, I am such a modern man.

Spartacus.
Yeah ya sure darn whit yoofs Ian (eerr Spartacus)  innit mate 🤘😉

Itsme

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2021, 08:17:10 AM »
Naaa fam I is feelin' it.

That is the last time I try to think modern, it made my head hurt and my eyes cross!

Spartacus.

Moto63

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2021, 10:47:01 AM »
🤣🤣🤣👍