Author Topic: XBR500 camchain tensioner  (Read 783 times)

richardeblack

XBR500 camchain tensioner
« on: January 25, 2021, 12:45:47 PM »
Hello All,
Yet more issues with XBR rebuild!
I am about to fit the cylinder head again (3rd try) and find that the retainer is shown in the manual as a 5mm peg.  I have several cylinder heads and have pegs for 2 of them but the head I want to use (all vapour blasted and valves ground in etc) has a larger 6mm hole for the retainer and the adjuster is threaded.  I can't find any information about this and wonder if anyone can tell me what the retaining bolt(?) looks like.  I have several boxes of engine bolts etc from the several engines I have and have hopefully added pictures of various items.
Any ideas?
I'll try and add some photos later.
Thanks very much,
Richard.
Added some pictures below:
picture of bolt I suspect is correct
pic of adjuster shaft showing thread
Pic of locating peg in correct head
pic of same peg in head I am using
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 01:38:12 PM by richardeblack »

blew

Re: XBR500 camchain tensioner
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 02:59:53 AM »
My XBR,a 1987 model,has a threaded hole in the camchain adjuster and an allen bolt to screw into it,exactly the same as your photos.

richardeblack

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 11:05:27 AM »
Thank you for that confirmation.
I thought that must be the bolt, it was the only completely shiny one the right size.  All the manuals I have show a peg so assume that was for the earlier engines. 
Back in the garage to have another go at fitting the head!
Thanks again
Richard.

blew

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 12:03:39 PM »
The allen bolt on mine is exactly like yours,with that wide washer-type whatsit on it,presumably to stop it digging in to the alloy head.

tommy

• xbr500 xbr 650 nx 650 gsx1100
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 10:15:01 PM »
hi richard the heads come with pins or bolts   if your rebuilding your motor its worth getting a new cam chain tensioner spring there about a fiver from cmsnl   ,if you have several xbr heads would you have one for sale thanks tommy   

richardeblack

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 11:21:07 AM »
hi richard the heads come with pins or bolts   if your rebuilding your motor its worth getting a new cam chain tensioner spring there about a fiver from cmsnl   ,if you have several xbr heads would you have one for sale thanks tommy   

Thanks Blew and Tommy,
Fitted before I saw this so no new spring.  Hopefully ok though.  Never had one fail in over 200,000 miles of XBR riding but would have been a good precautionary measure given the low cost. 
I probably have a head I could spare.  I depends on how good you want it to be.  Some of my heads have the cracks from the plug to valve seats but I have never had a problem with this.  I remember when I first saw this and panicked and spent an absolute fortune on a second hand head (I was definitely robbed) and never fitted it as the cracked one went on for another 40,000 miles with no problems or worsening.  I also have at least one with spark plug broken off which I must get round to getting out and one with studs broken off.  Let me know what you want and I will see what I have that will help you.

tommy

• xbr500 xbr 650 nx 650 gsx1100
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 09:55:21 PM »
sent you a pm richard