Author Topic: Tyre seating issue  (Read 1900 times)

iansoady

Re: Tyre seating issue
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2021, 10:24:12 AM »
fantastic ian ta was it  much hassle to balance the wheels after the conversion ta tommy

Didn't make much (if any) difference.

This is my balancing jig made of MDF:

I've also reduced the sizes of the other images as they were far too big!
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

tommy

• xbr500 xbr 650 nx 650 gsx1100
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2021, 03:57:46 PM »
magic ian  thank you tommy

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2021, 02:58:53 PM »
in the winter i always warm the tyres and rim up against a radiator before fitting, the rubber is much more pliable if its warm. when im fitting a tyre in summer, i leave tyre and rim in the conservatory for an hour or two and it just slips on wrestling with iron hard cold rubber is a thankless task.  they always pop on the bead if theyre warm.

mthee

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2021, 05:43:20 PM »
Have you kicked the covid, John?👍
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2021, 05:56:12 PM »
yeah we both got through it without any long term issues. it wasnt a pleasant illness though and i wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy. terrlble virus. but we are much improved and back at work now. it really laid us low.

Moto63

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2021, 07:02:24 PM »
Good to he you both recovered ok John 👍. I know a couple of folk who’ve had it with varying degrees of illness. Certainly doesn’t sound good though. Hopefully the vaccine will help to keep things at bay 🤞...cheers, Michael

CrazyFrog

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2021, 07:53:06 PM »
Weird isn't it? I know loads of people who've had it and only one of them has really had any symptoms, but he's now into his 4th week in intensive care. :o
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

tommy

• xbr500 xbr 650 nx 650 gsx1100
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2021, 11:09:56 PM »
good to hear you both doing well john
my cousin and her husband look after her 94 year old mother  ,she lives with them ,they both got covid and my 94 year old aunt didnt even get a cold,  no telling who it affects  eh,stay safe lads tommy

richardeblack

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2021, 09:57:40 AM »
Tommy: some pics

The spokes and nipples before applying the sealer: cleaned up with a small wire brush in the dremel.

First coat of sealer applied:

Second coat of sealer:

This is the sealer I used. Kindly donated by a local supplier as it was a few weeks out of date so couldn't be used on aircraft:

Thanks Ian,
very interesting.  I was interested in the rims especially as they seem to have safety ledges on them which my old classic alloy rims don't have.  I have been trying to find rims like that to convert my Bonny and Trident (Meriden ones) to tubeless as I don't fancy the idea of running tubeless without safety ledges on the rims.  Are they the original rims?
Thanks
Richard.

iansoady

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2021, 10:17:20 AM »
Yes they are Richard.

I know people go on about safety ledges but in reality a tubeless tyre is no more likely to come off the rim when deflated than is a tubed one (and perhaps even less so as the sidewalls tend to be stiffer). And a tubeless tyre is much much less likely to suffer a catastrophic deflation in the first place than a tubed one especially as there's no risk of ripping the valve out. I think the ledges are more relevant for cars as a bike will become unstable long before the tyre starts to make a bid for freedom.

Having said that I have no intention of converting the steel rims on my ES2! And of course anybody who does the conversion does so entirely at their own risk. I did the Tiger in 2006 and it was still fine when I sold it 8 years or so later. It's still showing as taxed so presumably hasn't been wrecked.....
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

Moto63

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2021, 10:55:44 AM »
I’m really enjoying reading this thread chaps, found it very interesting and informative. I did consider going down this route with my tracker build but just never bothered getting round to it as I was still recovering from my accident when I got round to sorting out the wheels/ tyres etc. Something I might possibly look into doing at some point in the future. Cheers for all the info chaps.
Michael

Ian

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2021, 11:31:11 AM »
Johnr sorry to hear you had the dreaded virus but glad you are "back up and running" so to speak. No one is safe but every one is different. My daughter is a District nurse and has only just had her jab, yet she is in contact with Covid patients on a daily basis. Beggars belief doesn't it 🙄 ?
Gareth, sorry to have hijacked your thread.
1 SRX 1 C400X -2 thumpers

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2021, 05:57:31 PM »
thanks ian, it was a pretty unpleasant virus but we are through it now. thankfully.