Author Topic: Interesting quick read  (Read 973 times)

iansoady

Re: Interesting quick read
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 09:54:23 AM »
Yes, interesting. The only thing I use wd40 for these days is as a cutting lubricant on the lathe / drilling machine.

When I was a technical apprentice with the CEGB in the 1960s, we had a tin of WD40 arrive in the instrument shop where I was temporarily allocated and we tested its rustproofing qualities by spraying it on a bit of mild steel and putting that and a bit of untreated steel out on a flat roof - and it did slow the rust. Some years later when I was an AA patrol it was invaluable for doing what it said on the tin - ie getting rid of water from ignition components like the daft Mini distributor stuck just behind the radiator grille.

I do quite like GT85 for a quick squirt around the place but will try the toolstation version. I'm increasingly using them for odds and ends as there's a branch a mile or so from me and their click & collect is very efficient. Prices often better than ebay as well.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

Smithy

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 10:06:38 AM »
About 300 years ago I was a very young psycho-geriatric nursing auxiliary and was terrorised daily on the ward by Nurse Garton who was an older nurse made of iron and hate. She made my life hell until one day she was bemoaning the fact that the ariel on her Mini had seized so she couldn't listen to the radio on the way home. The next day I squirted it with WD40 and freed it. Oh how nice my life was after that!

Ian

Moto63

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 10:53:58 AM »
About 300 years ago I was a very young psycho-geriatric nursing auxiliary and was terrorised daily on the ward by Nurse Garton who was an older nurse made of iron and hate. She made my life hell until one day she was bemoaning the fact that the ariel on her Mini had seized so she couldn't listen to the radio on the way home. The next day I squirted it with WD40 and freed it. Oh how nice my life was after that!

Ian
Brilliant stuff... especially during the season of good will 😉🤪👍

themoudie

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 05:08:48 PM »
Mmmmm! These days Bulldog BDX is my goto for freeing off and chain lube.

My friend who is a Commando and Guzzi fanatic/hoarder uses it regularly for general maintanence and managed to remove a siezed mirror stem stub from an alloy Guzzi handlebar switch with ease and without damage after 15 minutes for a brew! ;)

Furthermore, having just bought a Kawa 1000 LTD for little money, as a Covid project, which had sat seized for 32 years, with less than 17K on the clock. I quote his description of the engine freeing off procedure.

"The BDX seems to be good at most things, freed a very seized Kawa, I borrowed a rattle gun to get the front sprocket nut off, stuck it in gear and it took 5 minutes to get the bolt out, the engine never moved. Put some down the plug holes and next day I could turn the motor over easily using the ignition bolt, amazing."

In my experience wee bit of patience while the BDX ingredients get to work makes all the difference and you can have a cuppa in the meantime!  ;)

As for Nurse Garton, now that is a quaint euphemism!  ;D

Good health, Bill

Richard

• Always wear protection
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 05:20:10 PM »
I tend to use diesel as a penetrating fluid.

Works, cheap too.
Note to Self: Shiney side goes UP.

Smithy

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 08:23:27 AM »
Ha ha believe me there was nothing quaint about Nurse Garton!

Where can I find stocks of Bulldog BDX please? Having encountered the seized solid bottom engine mount bolt in my other Honda CBF as well as many other fasteners which didn't want to budge I have decided to try to free all the likely bits of my daily CBF so as to avoid panic measures if future maintenance is necessary.

Cheers

Ian

Moto63

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 11:54:44 AM »
Nurse Garton.... I can only picture Ronnie Barker with nurse Gladys Emanuel in open all hours. Makes me grin every time😁
Yes Bill, I think you hit the nail on the head with the word “patience “ .... and especially if it then involves drinking tea. BRILLIANT 😉??

themoudie

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 12:08:42 PM »
Aye Ian,

My apologies, I meant to attach the appropriate links and didn't so please see below:

Manufacturer of Bulldog BDX: lubricantsuppliers.com

List of UK local stockists: Bulldog_BDX_ suppliers  scroll down to view listing!

Nice sunny, frosty day here, with high cloud to the west, where it can stay!

Slainte, Bill

P.S. Diesel used to be a favourite of mine, but this stuff, I think, is better, even though it costs a bob or two. Bill

mthee

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2020, 12:24:34 PM »
I tend to use diesel as a penetrating fluid.

Works, cheap too.

Mixed with acetone for best results, I remember reading somewhere?
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

Richard

• Always wear protection
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2020, 04:45:44 PM »
True, and now I remember why I have that gallon of acetone in the garage!

Thanks!
Note to Self: Shiney side goes UP.

Smithy

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2020, 06:51:39 PM »
Thanks Bill that is useful information. I will have a look and get some bought.

Ian

P.S. Michael, Nurse Garton was not as attractive as Nurse Gladys Emmanuel, she was more like a Gremlin in a frilly cap!

Moto63

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2020, 10:17:53 AM »

P.S. Michael, Nurse Garton was not as attractive as Nurse Gladys Emmanuel, she was more like a Gremlin in a frilly cap!
my image has just been shattered 😥😥

Smithy

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2020, 06:45:30 PM »

my image has just been shattered 😥😥

Sorry mate. Now the matron.............

CrazyFrog

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2020, 08:35:32 PM »
I use Smith and Allen's water dispersant (it's pretty much the same as wd40) To be honest, I mainly use it for cleaning as I tend to use GT85  for light lubrication.

https://www.smithandallan.com/products/agricultural-specialities/1834-smith-and-allan-de-watering-40-dw40-wd40---penetrating-oil-spray-lubricant-protects-cleans-rust-inhibitor/
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F