Author Topic: Anyone used Lumiweld?  (Read 974 times)

Smithy

Anyone used Lumiweld?
« on: December 19, 2020, 08:19:15 AM »
Hi gents.

For a none bike related project I am working on I want to attach some thick-walled aluminium tube to an ally plate. We have already established in another thread that I can't weld so wondered about using Lumiweld. I have seen good things about this stuff on Youtube but just wondered if anyone has first hand knowledge of it. The tube will have to bear some weight but not loads.

Cheers guys

Ian

Moto63

Re: Anyone used Lumiweld?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 09:33:18 AM »
Morning Ian, only tried it once, with not brilliant results. Now that may have been my incompetence and NOT the product, I don’t know. Same as you the items I stuck together were carrying a tiny bit of load/weight but it only lasted two days before it came apart at the seams. (Song in there somewhere 🤘) ... cheers, Michael

iansoady

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2020, 11:39:30 AM »
I'm with Michael - tried it but with a distinct lack of success. If it's not heavily loaded I would consider JB weld.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

mthee

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 11:45:31 AM »
I've used rivet nuts on tubing before, but obviously the body of the nut may obstruct anything you want the tube to carry, plus there's a  stand-off of the height of the nut flange between tube and plate...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 11:48:24 AM by mthee »
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

Smithy

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 06:26:58 AM »
Thank you gentlemen all for your responses. The fact that several of you who can do proper welding (and lead burning) haven't been successful with Lumiweld puts me off trying it. I am going to try J B Weld as there is little load on the part I want to make and see how I get on.

The reason I am using ally is simply that I have some scrap so if it doesn't work I will ask my mate to make me one in steel as he can weld, though not aluminium.

In case you're wondering what the none bike project is that I am working on I am making parts for our Gazibog at work. Now I know that you probably think I meant gazebo but I didn't. The Gazibog is the name me and my mate Stu have given to an outdoor, multi-sensory creation we are making in our day centre garden from scrap. Think Heath-Robinson meets Scrapheap Challenge and you will get there.

Cheers for the advice.

Ian 

CrazyFrog

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2020, 08:46:42 AM »
In case you're wondering what the none bike project is that I am working on I am making parts for our Gazibog at work. Now I know that you probably think I meant gazebo but I didn't. The Gazibog is the name me and my mate Stu have given to an outdoor, multi-sensory creation we are making in our day centre garden from scrap. Think Heath-Robinson meets Scrapheap Challenge and you will get there.

Cheers for the advice.

Ian

Intriguing Ian. Sounds like Zed cred (MZ bodging) meets architecture. Pictures of the result would be good!
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

Moto63

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2020, 10:19:50 AM »

[/quote]

Intriguing Ian. Sounds like Zed cred (MZ bodging) meets architecture. Pictures of the result would be good!
[/quote]
Hell yeah... it has the word bog in it, so any right minded plumber would want/need to see some pics 😉.
Ps... best of luck with the JB weld Ian. Certainly don’t want to rain on your parade here but I’ve also used that in the past and not been overly impressed with the results. Think it will defo depend on the amount of strain/load that is put on the parts in question.
Cheers, Michael

mthee

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2020, 12:21:15 PM »
Here's a pic of my use of the rivet nuts to make a headlight bracket, now discarded as it didn't look right, but it was solid as you like, the rivnuts were cheap and no special tool required.

I had to look up Lumiweld and found this humorous discussion with reference to bikes and aircraft. This was back in 2008 and even at that time, one contributer to the thread reckoned that epoxy was better.

http://www.b50.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2025
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

Smithy

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2020, 07:32:31 AM »
Thanks gents as usual some interesting things to say. I will certainly post some pics as the Gazibog build progresses. We are trying to use as much scrap as we can so we have some old bicycle wheels and chains, an old stainless sink unit, about 25 Imperial spanners that I have donated as I won't buy anything British again sadly, a bath etc. The aim of the Gazibog is to create a wind/water powered sculpture that moves, makes noise and does stuff like wave flags etc. The people who come to the day service are mostly visually and hearing impaired and para or hemi-plegic wheelchair users so we need big, noisy experiences and being made outside means we can let our imaginations go wild.

Don't show too much interest though or I will campaign for a Thumper Club charity event where all you talented people come to my day service and do a collective build. Now there's a thought!

Ian

Moto63

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2020, 09:58:15 AM »
Good man Ian, sounds like a very worthy project you’re involved in. Best of luck with it 🤞🤞👍
Cheers, Michael

iansoady

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2020, 10:13:12 AM »
Yes, sounds great. Well done.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

Smithy

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2020, 06:10:14 PM »
Thank you for the good wishes gents. I'm just really lucky to work at a very creative day centre with a manager who, like me, is just a big kid!

Ian