Author Topic: srx brakes  (Read 1806 times)

chris303

srx brakes
« on: August 08, 2006, 11:31:10 AM »
Hi
regarding the bleeding of the brakes on the srx,the manual tells how to do it,but I am not sure about the two nipples.Do you do them together or one at a time?Would appreciate directions on this one
Thanks
Chris

SteveL

Re: srx brakes, oh no! not the bleeding brakes again.....
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 12:11:51 PM »
they are (can be) an absolute BU55ER to bleed. Do them one at a time, starting with the one furthest from the lever/master cylinder (this is usually the left hand caliper unless you have 'front ended' your bike!)
I use a little one way valve device for bleeding brakes, can be got form halfords (or i see them on Ebay regularly)
with this on the nipple release the nipple, and remove the cap on the master cylinder, (ensuring you have a can of dot3 fluid to hand) start working the lever, eventually (10 mins to several days) you will see fluid appear in the clear plastic tube of the bleed device (make sure the master cyl is kept topped up) keep working the lever until there are no bubbles coming through, then close the nipple and repeat on right hand side. If after all that there still appears to be little or no pressure you will need to go through the proceedure again (and possibly again)

One point worth mentioning, make sure the hole through the nipple is clear (you will need to remove it, and poke it with a bit of locking wire or such like. I spent half an hour poncing about before i worked out it might be blocked. AND, if these nipples havn't been worked on for some time they can be siezed in, so be careful and gentle when undoing them, i've sheared one off in the past, which renders the caliper useless.

My Son uses a method that I havn't tried, that of pulling the lever back to the bar, and tying it there, closing the nipple, putting the top back on the master cylinder (to stop damp getting to the fluid) and leaving it for 24 hours, air should rise to the top. thats the theory, I have my doubts

Chris303

Re: srx brakes
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 03:26:38 PM »
Thanks for your reply.I will have a go asap and let you know the result.
Thanks again
Chris

Steve H

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 04:57:23 PM »
Buy a largish syringe and suck the fluid through from the caliper, I ve found this to be quite effective

squirrelciv

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 07:13:24 PM »
Is it me, but shouldn't these posts be in the technical section??? I was expecting an amusing tale centred around the brakes of a SRX. I feel cheated now :-(
Live long, live well, live happy

guest18

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 09:17:30 PM »
Is it me, but shouldn't these posts be in the technical section??? I was expecting an amusing tale centred around the brakes of a SRX. I feel cheated now :-(

erm.... they are aren't they???

squirrelciv

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 05:56:38 AM »
Only cos it's been moved matey Duh! :-)
Live long, live well, live happy

GB500nz

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 10:36:35 AM »
Way I do it, I get a slave or small child and tell it to pull on the lever. I fit a small plastic tube over the nipple, run it into a jar, crack the nipple open and close it. Tell slave to release lever then squeeze it again. Open nipple etc. Very quick and easy.