Technical > Bike Problems/Questions

XBR500 pistons and liners

(1/4) > >>

richardeblack:
Hello All,
Started sorting out the engine of an XBR I am rebuilding and found that out of the 7 cylinders I have checked, only one is really good.  One is cracked, most are scored some are badly worn (all to be expected really as they come from high milage bikes). 
I think I can find bits good enough to build this engine but could do with being able to get oversize pistons or standard pistons and new liners to build up at least two  other engines.
Does anyone know where pistons are available from?  Will I have to go for overboring to 100mm and use XR600R pistons?  Will the standard liner go out to 100mm?
All really annoying as none of my engines smoked so I suspect I can get away with using the cylinders I have but would like to build up a really nice one when I can.
Any suggestions welcome.
Thank you,
Richard.

themoudie:
Aye Richard,

Link for piston: Honda-xbr500-1986-g-germany_model

Link for barrel: Barrel  Eye watering!  :(

This is just a starter. It appears that the barrel doesn't use a liner, which would have been a logical way to go, in my head!

Regards, Bill

Moto63:
Wowsers that barrel ain’t chirpy, chirpy cheap, cheap is it 😲

mthee:
Secondhand off fleabay?

https://www.ebay.it/itm/273996014645

richardeblack:
All so expensive!  Thanks for looking folks.  Managed to find a useable barrel (a bit scored but not too bad) had it cleaned up and was just starting to put it back together and, wonder of wonders, find that the little end has been siezed and picked up on both the piston and little end!  Found another piston and gudgeon pin in my pile of spares but just don't know what to do about the little end. Unfortunately they don't have bushes in the XBR and run direct in the steel con rod.  No idea what to do now! Looks like I will have to strip the whole thing down  and try and find enough bits to do a complete engine rebuild.  Really beginning to doubt if it is worth bothering with it!  I will have to get it re registered anyway (not a problem and only £25 as I have the number plate for it) but what a mess!  Truly fed up with it all.
Ah well, back out into the garage to see if I have any decent bits to build an engine from ground up. 
Can't believe the little ends aren't even bushed.
Thanks again for the suggestions.
Richard.
ps. the cylinders do have liners, haven't tried to knock one out yet so will work with the tattiest ones first.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version