Author Topic: Hello! new owner, nearly  (Read 839 times)

Thumper

Hello! new owner, nearly
« on: September 11, 2020, 03:27:48 PM »
Hello everyone :)
I have just purchased this:

This one has been on for months and no takers: YAMAHA-SRX-600-620cc-STAGE-1-CAM-CR-CARBS-K-N-FZR-RUNNING-GEAR-REARSETS-1YRS-MOT

And I am waiting for it to be delivered ::) does anyone here know the bike? it's an 87, I bought it blind whether that was a good idea or not remains to be seen.

And why do I get asked daft verification questions everytime I want to post something?
Is it temporary?

themoudie

Re: Hello! new owner, nearly
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 09:34:10 PM »
Welcome Phil,

I was keeping an eye on that one on eBay, just out of curiosity! ;)

No prior knowledge of the beastie, but the specification appeared to be good and it hasn't been bored out to the maximum oversize that sometimes can cause the piston to 'pick up' on the rear left of the bore. Make sure that you change the oil and filter after 2,000 miles, if used intermittently or 4,000 if you are using it regularly. Warm the engine through before giving it a bit of throttle.

I assume that you are aware of the ritual for starting a single? Do not snap the kickstart lever, they are like hens teeth and expensive if offered for sale. Make sure that the auto- valve lifter is properly adjusted.

DO NOT LUG THE ENGINE IN 5TH GEAR! What I mean by that is ensure that you are travelling at at least 50mph - 55mph before engaging 5th gear. It is a known weak point of the engine and if the gears start to break up or spall, hardened metal goes through the motor! Complete engine strip from top to bottom is needed. The oil pump takes a battering if this happens and whilst they are still available they are not cheap.

Use the 'Search' window in the top right of the board window on the 'Bike Problems' board, with the words 'SRX oil pump'. This will give you a good view of the various maladies that can afflict the machine!  ;)  If you need a workshop manual or other info, check the 'SEARCH' first and if nothing obvious appears, ask a question on the 'Bike Problems' board, we will try to help.

Do not let this put you off these machines as they are a very capable bit of kit that can fairly canter on. Enjoy it when it arrives!  ;D ;D ;D

Good health, Bill

Thumper

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 06:25:01 AM »
Welcome Phil,

I was keeping an eye on that one on eBay, just out of curiosity! ;)

No prior knowledge of the beastie, but the specification appeared to be good and it hasn't been bored out to the maximum oversize that sometimes can cause the piston to 'pick up' on the rear left of the bore. Make sure that you change the oil and filter after 2,000 miles, if used intermittently or 4,000 if you are using it regularly. Warm the engine through before giving it a bit of throttle.

I assume that you are aware of the ritual for starting a single? Do not snap the kickstart lever, they are like hens teeth and expensive if offered for sale. Make sure that the auto- valve lifter is properly adjusted.

DO NOT LUG THE ENGINE IN 5TH GEAR! What I mean by that is ensure that you are travelling at at least 50mph - 55mph before engaging 5th gear. It is a known weak point of the engine and if the gears start to break up or spall, hardened metal goes through the motor! Complete engine strip from top to bottom is needed. The oil pump takes a battering if this happens and whilst they are still available they are not cheap.

Use the 'Search' window in the top right of the board window on the 'Bike Problems' board, with the words 'SRX oil pump'. This will give you a good view of the various maladies that can afflict the machine!  ;)  If you need a workshop manual or other info, check the 'SEARCH' first and if nothing obvious appears, ask a question on the 'Bike Problems' board, we will try to help.

Do not let this put you off these machines as they are a very capable bit of kit that can fairly canter on. Enjoy it when it arrives!  ;D ;D ;D

Good health, Bill

I have been toying with the idea of an SRX for the last 20 years having had an old FT for a while and if I was going to buy one I would want to play with it, this one caught my eye because it's nearly bang on what I wanted to do, 620 kit, cam etc although I have no idea what performance improvements this offers, perhaps someone will offer an opinion/experience?
As for starting big singles, my brother years ago found an old XT500 frame abandond about 81 IIRC and over the next three to four years rebuilt it, it was a brand new bike basically, anyway, he used to find it funny to get me to try and start it which I could until one day it bit me back, jeez that hurt, I was lucky though it only took all the skin off my shin, a friend of ours brother got thrown over the handle bars by his and it shattered his ankle, a few years after that I had the use of a SR500 and loved it, this was all over 20 years ago though, actually it's nearer 30(where's that gone).

The kick start thing has me a bit worried, are they that fragile? this is prbably a daft question,( I assume they break around the splined area?)  has nobody looked in to getting that part of it machined from steel? then fabricating something to fit should be simple.

Regards
Phil

Thumper

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 02:24:59 PM »
Well it arrived the day after I left for work, now I have to wait 10 days before i'm back, I bet it's raining when I get back gutted that i'll miss this mini heatwave.
Phil

mthee

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 02:50:51 PM »
Gutted for you, Phil! I have the patience of a Saint, except when it comes to bikes and remember wishing away a week of holiday in the late 80's to get back for my GPZ600R.
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

Steve Lake

• Dyslexics have more nuf
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 06:57:42 PM »
Hi Phil, glad you went the SRX route .... just wish it was mine you'd opted for  :) , would it be too cheeky of me to ask how much you paid for it? ... pm me if you wish to keep it private .... it will be a guide to me when i put #9 up on fleabay again...

cheers
Steve

Thumper

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2020, 09:06:24 AM »
Hi Phil, glad you went the SRX route .... just wish it was mine you'd opted for  :) , would it be too cheeky of me to ask how much you paid for it? ... pm me if you wish to keep it private .... it will be a guide to me when i put #9 up on fleabay again...

cheers
Steve

Hello Steve,
Yours wasn't listed  when I looked, at least I don't think it was?, the reason I went for this was, for me it ticked 99% of the boxes, I probably paid too much for it, my reasoning was even if I could get one for a grand which is probably impossible for a decent one it would cost me more than twice that again to get it up to the spec of the one I bought, I'll tell you what I paid after I get home an take it for a ride which will be on the 25th, I cannot wait, and i'll be honest I have a semi thinking about it ;D

Stay safe
Phil
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 09:08:58 AM by Thumper »

Thumper

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 04:16:57 PM »
Well, I decided to take two days holiday as I couldn't wait any longer, good news is there are no rattles from the engine it's sweet as a nut, overall condition is as pictures so I am well happy ;D there are however few niggles the main one is there is no battery, so no electrics unless the engine is running, the auto decompressor has been blanked off, and the other niggle is me, I am 23 years older since I last started an SR500 I have lost so much muscle mass from being a lazy lorry driver ::) I am quite shocked, FM it was hard work, I thought I had made a mistake with the kickstart only, any way after a few attempts  I have the knack back now so all is good apart from it's bloody raining  >:( :(

Stay safe
Phil
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 04:19:03 PM by Thumper »

Moto63

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 04:26:03 PM »
Sounds good thumper (wasn’t he the rabbit in bambi?) hopefully you’ll have another 23years of happy SRX riding 👍
Cheers, Michael

Thumper

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 04:47:52 PM »
Sounds good thumper (wasn’t he the rabbit in bambi?) 👍
Cheers, Michael

I was, but, after that film work dried up so I had to re train as a lorry driver, HO HUM!

Stay safe

Phil
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 05:54:29 AM by Thumper »

themoudie

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 09:04:36 PM »
Good to read Phil.

Go canny yourself.

Good health, Bill