Author Topic: Electric Enfield on Quest.  (Read 737 times)

SteveC#222

Electric Enfield on Quest.
« on: August 01, 2020, 04:03:15 PM »
Did anyone else watch Vintage Voltage on Quest last Thursday?

Basically the programme coverts older cars to fully electric - quite interesting if very expensive.

This week they converted an Enfield Bullet - the main problem was hiding the rather large battery pack that took the place of the engine and gearbox - the solution they came up with worked reasonably well though still not a thing of beauty.

Well worth a look.

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Moto63

Re: Electric Enfield on Quest.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 04:48:38 PM »
No didn’t see that, I’ll see if I can get it on catch up 🤞👍

Richard

• Always wear protection
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 04:50:16 PM »
I assume that the electric motor is in the over large rear hub.

An awful lot of small bits covering the battery pack but not a bad looking job all in.  If I'd done it there would just be masses of gaffer tape.
Note to Self: Shiney side goes UP.

SteveC#222

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 07:20:38 PM »
I assume that the electric motor is in the over large rear hub.

An awful lot of small bits covering the battery pack but not a bad looking job all in.  If I'd done it there would just be masses of gaffer tape.

Yes the motor is in the hub and it gets a disc brake upgrade at the back.

The battery box covers do make it look reasonably good but cost £2.5K to have 3D printed!!!!...as I said, these conversions aren't cheap   ( typical car convertion is £30k upwards with Tesla motor and batteries!!)

mthee

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 08:30:37 PM »
Thanks for this, I'll have a look. I wonder if battery development will achieve the smaller brick required aesthetically? Our lad has a wheelchair with electric motors in the hubs and regen when going down a gradient, plus I've got a cordless lawnmower coming this week (no regen😢) Battery development and 3D printing - good professions for the youngsters to get into when they've done their basic education, surely?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 10:45:18 PM by mthee »
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

iansoady

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 09:01:00 AM »
Looks like an interesting series, must have a look. I admit I rarely look to see what's on in these places as so much is just blokes shouting at each other.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

SteveC#222

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 11:08:28 AM »
Thanks for this, I'll have a look. I wonder if battery development will achieve the smaller brick required aesthetically? Our lad has a wheelchair with electric motors in the hubs and regen when going down a gradient, plus I've got a cordless lawnmower coming this week (no regen😢) Battery development and 3D printing - good professions for the youngsters to get into when they've done their basic education, surely?

3D printing is becoming much cheaper. I'm told you can get a  basic machine for under £500 now and you can also 3D print in metal! Could be very useful in the workshop for those small hard to get old parts.....if you can use the CAD proramme to input the design information.

Batteries/Electric vehicles will be the future. I would quite like an electric car but to get one with a half decent range is well beyond my pocket at the moment.

Moto63

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 01:23:26 PM »
The Skoda city E basic model gives a decent range at a “reasonable “ price Steve

tj63

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 08:02:37 AM »
Very good car at a reasonable price, but you can't get hold of one. There are very few coming into the UK, and they're all reserved up to next February.

mthee

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 10:20:54 AM »
I'm told you can get a  basic machine for under £500 now and you can also 3D print in metal!

Metal?! Wow! My mind is boggling and I'm off for a Google...
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared