Author Topic: Rubber removal  (Read 685 times)

mthee

Rubber removal
« on: August 19, 2020, 11:30:34 PM »
I used a piece of non-slip rubber mat to cushion my handlebars, controls, etc, as they lay on the front mudguard, out of the way for a few days. On replacing the bars, I found the rubber had melted(?) onto/into(?) the acrylic paint of the mudguard and fork sliders.
Can anyone recommend a product/method of removal? Wd40 and 1200 grit went some of the way, but still left some behind. Cheers.
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

Moto63

Re: Rubber removal
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 06:58:40 AM »
Morning Matt try using mentholated spirit. Best o luck 🤞

themoudie

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 08:46:38 AM »
Aye Matt,

This is all a bit anorak and no cheap!  :o

However, Farecla, G3 formula, permanent, professional scratch remover, used as per the instructions and the specific "Applicator Waffle pads", really works wonders.

Link: G3-professional-scratch-remover-liquid

It is also available as a paste formula. See the Farecla website.

A friend who is a professional sprayer and panel beater advised me to use it and the results are transformative. My 'rattle can' spary job on the Duke 450 sidepanels came up well after using this liquid.

My regards, Bill

mthee

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 10:11:28 AM »
I'll try the paste, thanks, as the paint I put on the tank also needs all the help it can get.🙏

iansoady

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 11:27:28 AM »
I think (but hope I'm wrong) that the plastic / rubber can react with the paint and actually damage the painted surface. I remember having some painting done years ago and was going to wrap the bits in bubble wrap to take them home when the painter stopped me and said it would ruin the finish.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

mthee

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 09:54:26 AM »
That G3 is brilliant for cutting the paint and my rattle can sprayed parts have a much improved shine, so thanks, Bill.
Unfortunately, Ian was right, so the front mudguard needs a respray, as do the fork sliders.
I was chatting to the neighbour who said that he had used some rubber matting to line his tool box trays and those tools that were oiled reacted with the rubber to leave marks in the metal (chrome, I presume - must check)
Spawn of the devil, available at the poundshop and oh so handy - get thee behind me, satan🤪

themoudie

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 01:06:28 PM »
Aye Matt,

Pleased it worked for you, shame it didn't work on everything.

My regards, Bill