Author Topic: NX650 v XBR wiring eBay dispute  (Read 688 times)

mthee

NX650 v XBR wiring eBay dispute
« on: July 04, 2020, 09:31:27 AM »
I won a Koso D65 digital speedo which came off an NX650 and had been connected up for indicators, main beam and neutral warning lights only. When I tested it off the bike, the neutral light wouldn't come on and read 4.6v even when not connected to power!? The other warning lights came on as they should and read 0.0v when not connected.
I message the seller, suggesting there's an internal fault, who says it was working perfectly when it came off the NX and best of luck as electrics are not his strong point.
So I open a dispute to return it, saying that if it was working his end and not when it got to me, then it must have been damaged in transit which is his responsibility.
Seller messsges back to say that transit wouldn't affect a speedo designed for a bumpy ride and as I'm fitting it to a completely different bike with a different loom, that may "throw up some issues". He also wants to know how I tested it, despite not being interested in my offer to show this earlier...

Having solely connected up the same 4 warning lights as off the NX650 (leaving the oil and fuel wires that NX650 man had cut back) the XBR must have the same wiring in this respect, no?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 10:45:36 AM by mthee »
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

mthee

Re: NX650 v XBR wiring
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 09:41:56 AM »
Here's a link to the ad;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324205498601

And attached are the wiring instructions.

I connected black to battery -ve for ground and red to +ve to simulate permanent power, then brown to +ve to simulate key on power, then a test wire from +ve to each of the warning wires in turn. All warning lights illuminated in turn apart from neutral. Taking off the test wire to disconnect power and attaching my meter to each warning wire in turn, all read 0.0v apart from neutral which read 4.6v.

Is this test procedure valid? Nothing special about a neutral light switch, is there?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 10:47:58 AM by mthee »

johnr

• Regular
Re: NX650 v XBR wiring eBay dispute
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 07:24:08 PM »
did you connect the green wire (neutral) to the battery negative? the neutral wire is a negative from the neg side of the neutral light so should go to earth?

mthee

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 08:23:50 PM »
It's there in black and white, isn't it?! Thanks, John, job's a good 'un - after my portion of humble pie for the seller....🤬😁👍
Plus, back to school to learn why this light and the fuel need a -ve connection.

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 10:12:44 PM »
they dont have a negative connection. like all warning lights, and usually on jap bikes, the horn, the power goes from positive to the bulb, and then the negative goes down to the switch, neutral, oil, gear indicator etc and then to earth. so the warning light has a positive feed, but its switched on the negative as it goes down to earth.

mthee

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 09:50:08 AM »
Thanks for this, John. I'll get hold of my wiring diagrams and follow it through to see if it will make it through my thick head 👍

iansoady

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 10:35:13 AM »
It's something that's confused me in the past, but I finally worked out that by switching on the earth side the voltage across the contacts is smaller hence they should last longer. My guess anyway.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....

mthee

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 05:34:49 PM »
Here's a little nugget I panned whilst thinking about having my headlights turn on with ignition. 2nd post down shows a very simple way of ensuring lights go out whilst the starter is engaged.

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1037649-dr650-headlight-onoff-switch-relay/page/2/