Author Topic: Now there's a surprise!  (Read 1347 times)

Ian

1 SRX 1 C400X -2 thumpers

Richard

• Always wear protection
Re: Now there's a surprise!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 04:58:11 PM »
Whole industry is a crooked proposal.  Support a whole gamut of middle men, shareholders, managers who produce nothing but move money about and charge for the privilege.

Pay private companies to use public roads?

Pah!
Note to Self: Shiney side goes UP.

CrazyFrog

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 05:45:58 PM »
Yep, the way it's run in Australia(?) makes much more sense. Third party insurance is provided by the govt. when you tax your vehicle every year. I believe you can then then purchase a fully comp. top policy from private insurance providers.
2023 Royal Enfield Meteor 350
2021 Honda CB125F

Smithy

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 08:48:50 AM »
Yep, the way it's run in Australia(?) makes much more sense. Third party insurance is provided by the govt. when you tax your vehicle every year. I believe you can then then purchase a fully comp. top policy from private insurance providers.

Wouldn't that be fantastic. The problem with this country as Richard pointed out is the wholesale greed of large companies being let make billions of pounds off us poor saps at the bottom. Mass action is required, if no-one insured a vehicle for a month things would have to change. Not going to happen but it's a nice dream.

Ian

mthee

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 09:54:41 AM »

[/quote]

Wouldn't that be fantastic. The problem with this country as Richard pointed out is the wholesale greed of large companies being let make billions of pounds off us poor saps at the bottom. Mass action is required, if no-one insured a vehicle for a month things would have to change. Not going to happen but it's a nice dream.

Ian
[/quote]

Henceforth, renamed, "Citizen Smithy" ??👏
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

Richard

• Always wear protection
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 11:02:30 AM »
Surprising (not) how quickly this moves towards rants.

Almost as fast as an oil thread.

Ian

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 12:06:01 PM »
Far better solution is just don't use Bennetts or Carole Nash.
(Other well known and reliable insurance companies are available 👍)

Richard

• Always wear protection
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 03:09:11 PM »
Left Bennetts this year after they hiked the renewal price.

Every time Carole Nash quote they are expensive as they automatically include a rescue package I don't need as I get it via work.

Many of the otherwise good 'classic' insurance companies won't cover me as I use my bikes for work and work shifts so can't guarantee there being garaged overnight.  I wouldn;t mind but ost of them are MZs!!

And going shopping through insurances every year is a time consuming pita I could do without.  House, van, car, bikes - it takes hours of reading small print every time.

Must stop, blood pressure rising.......

Ian

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 05:09:37 PM »
Most deffo needs to be in rants now. 😡😡

Smithy

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 06:10:40 AM »

Ian
[/quote]

Henceforth, renamed, "Citizen Smithy" ??👏
[/quote]

Power to the people! Can I have mine in bhp though please. Now get off my pub.

Ian

themoudie

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2020, 07:14:57 AM »
THIS IS OFF TOPIC!  :o :o :o

The secret is to insure each bike individually!  ;)

I used the MCN ( OH GAWD! ::) ) insurance finder and after each search, wiped all the 'cookies', so that your past history of insurance searches 'disappears'.  ;)

LV wanted £135 to insure the 1986 Morini K2 350, FC, this year and a further £65 to insure Sally SRX598 TPFT on a combined policy. So, I went on MCN and for the Morini alone, the best price was £60 from LV!  :o  Not sure how that works!  :-\  Reduced price further by TPFT with 'Carole Nash Select' who then quoted £ 43-47. with Ageas (whom I believe have taken Carole Nash over?) The 'Carole Nash' price in the list of options of FC quotes was nearly as much as the initial LV quote and their TPFT quote was overpriced by a similar magnitude.

With Sally, 'Carole Nash Select' were able to shave a further £5 from the LV TPFT combined quote, for their TPFT, so bringing that down to £60.

So, all for a wee 'search' on the MCN insurance finder I saved £80 from my bill, with a like for like comparison and £97 by dropping the Morini to TPFT, which I am happy to do.

I hope this helps.

Finally, and "on message" (What twat thought that one up?), I too would prefer the Antipodean insurance model, but, their climate is sh!te and I don't wish to disturb them.

My regards, Bill
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 07:34:52 AM by themoudie »

mthee

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2020, 11:20:14 AM »

Finally, and "on message" (What twat thought that one up?), I too would prefer the Antipodean insurance model, but, their climate is sh!te and I don't wish to disturb them.

My regards, Bill

🤣👍
Fear of the unknown does not mean the unknown needs to be feared

Mutt

• XBR500
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2020, 01:01:48 PM »
The report from Visordown did miss something, along with the insurance trade press (who really should have been checking what they had been fed), in that Ardonagh Group also own Footman James meaning that the access to markets are further narrowed. Additionally, Ardonagh Group own Autonet plus other motor vehicle intermediaries. Carole Nash were owned by the insurer Groupama who were taken over or merged (depending on standpoint) by Ageas but they did sell this to Towergate who are owned by... Ardonagh Group, however Ageas are still a key insurer partner to all those mentioned providing essentially the same insurance product - at different prices! The argument they will use to CMA is that each of the outlets will operate they're own profit centres providing different "rinky dinks" as their propositions.... until the operations are pulled into the Autonet single site call centre in Stoke-On-Trent so that they can achieve economy of scale so then they can dictate the market rates. Now I'm ranting on!

As Bill found - Motorcycle Insurance: pay your money once you've mastered the art of fooling the computers.
Regards, Clive.
Remember to never lose sight of reality: If it looks like a duck, it walks like a duck and it quacks like a duck... that duck is NOT an elephant!

johnr

• Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2020, 01:37:51 PM »
the govt provided tpo cover would have the effect of allowing people who normally wouldnt buy high performance cars because of thee insurance costs, do do just that though. some ned who passes his test and wants a beemer or a audi is currently restricted by the astronomical cost of cover for anything much bigger than a corsa will now be able to buy whatever they can afford. so the inexperienced drivers who curreently make up the highest insurance risk group are likely to be able to afford  much faster and more powerful cars, and the likelyhood is that the cost of claims will skyrocket and those who are most likely to buy the aditional cover, older more experienced drivers, will be hit with increased costs as the price of bought insurance rises.

iansoady

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2020, 03:12:57 PM »
In fact, as I understand it, the Australian cover is minimum third party only. Similar cover is afforded in this country for uninsured drivers by the Motor Insurance Bureau. Of course, if they are involved in a collision thy can be prosecuted and the injured party(s) can be recompensed.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958(ish) Grumph.....